I'm a kid with diadetes and

i am a kid with diabetes also (a 39 year old kid at that!) have been type one for years, and grew up in a type one family (my father and 2 of my brothers) now i am married and have four children of my own. three of them have diabetes… no one will tell you it’s not rough, but it all has to be done. i think alot of times the view of parents (and other adults with diabetes) becomes very clinical when dealing with “kids with diabetes” they do forget the kids… but you know what? i feel that way about doctors dealing with adults with diabetes. there is no easy fix, its not like looking under the hood and tightening a bolt, there has to be effort and cooperation on both sides for there to be anything close to a pleasant lifestyle. my oldest son is 17. he was diagnosed at 3yrs 3mnths. he just went down to a construction sight with his uncle for several months. this is the first time he has really been away for an extended time and he is learning to be the clinical one himself. hang in there…

Hi Haley!
I know exactly what you’re talking about. I was 4 when I was dx’d, so I know what it’s like. I hated growing up with it because you were treated differently. My parents were always so careful around me - like I was going to break. Then if I forgot to check my glucose or something, they’d fuss and blame it on their worry. Still, I was the one on the other end of the fussing, so it sure didn’t help me feel any better about being diabetic.
You’re young, trying to figure out who you are, and this diabetes world is just an inconveinence at times… but hang in there, it’ll get better!

Thank-you for writing this Hailey. I am a mom of an 11-year old boy just diagnosed this month with Type 1 Diabetes. Your post reminds me to always try to remember how this all is for him. That’s huge. Thank-you.