I'm a kid with diadetes and

every one talk about how whena kid get diabetes it so hard on the parents…but thay never talk about the kid…it hard on us to were not fuly grown and we have school adn other things to do and we have to squeez in shots and testing…this annoys the heck out of me

p.s sry for that bad spelling

Hey Hailey!
Trust me I’ve been there and still am. It feels so much better letting it all out to people that understand what you’re going through. I mean as much research non diabetics do they will never know what it actually feels like. If you have any questions for me let me know!

Hi Hailey,
I’ve no idea what it is like to be in your shoes at 14 years old. UGH! I can only imagine how hard it is to fit in a crowd and deal with eating the right things.
I hope you will feel comfortable here.
Maybe you can share your daily events and teach us what it is like for you. We can be here to encourage you thru your school year and special events too.
MeadowLark

I am glad you are getting your feelings out in this forum, Hailey. My son was diagnosed at 2- he is 4 now, and I am so fearful that the day will come that he feels isolated and alone, and that he thinks that no one understands. Thank you for reminding me that this disease should not define him. Hang in there and feel free to mssg me anytime you need to talk!

Hailey, I can understand how you feel! Any of us who have diabetes have felt the same. It’s definitely hard on you, through good days and bad days D is always a pain in the butt!!

Do you know anyone else with Diabetes? I hope you’ll hang around here, because it’s great to be surrounded by people who understand. We’re from all over the world, of all ages… but we have diabetes in common and it really helps. If you ever need someone to talk to, there are lots of people here who can offer support and totally understand it because they’ve done it all themselves - not like doctors etc who give advice when they don’t really understand what it’s truly like.

As a parent I can also recognise how hard it is on parents. We worry so much about our kids as it is, but a kid with something like diabetes makes us worry at least 300 times as much! I can understand how comments like that would annoy you… never really considered it before, so I’m glad you mentioned it.

I understand totally what you’re saying, I’m also 14 and when I got diagnosed the consultant kept going on about how hard it was on the siblings, and my friend’s mother seemed to BLAME me for her daughter being upset. but my brother and sister aren’t the ones who have to prick their fingers up to ten times a day, and give themselves shots 4 times, and they’re not the ones who felt so ill for months, and ended up having to be hospitalized because of diabetes.
sigh. rant over.

Hello! I’m a mother of a child with diabetes and I hate it when people say it’s harder on the parents-how would they know that? It’s nice to “meet” you!

Yes it really is hard on the kid. I took it when I was 10 so I kinda kinow what your talking about. Now I’m 44 but back when I took it there was no bg machines around. I had to pee in a cup 1st thing in the morning then stick a chemstrip in it. I really couldn’t belive the changes when my daughter took it 8 years ago! They kept me in the hospital for 3 weeks and she only had to stay 3 days! Yes it was hard on me when she took it because I felt like I gave it to her but she seemed to know what to do. Maybe that was from having a mom who was a brittle diabetic, but she’s in good control of her’s now!

Of course it’s hard on the kid. I don’t know anyone who has ever said otherwise. I never, ever, ever minimize the impact that diabetes has on my daughter’s life and I certainly don’t go around looking for sympathy from anyone because of HER disease. As a parent, it’s my JOB to take care of her, take care of her diabetes and to help her as much as I possibly can with every aspect of her life.

I don’t know who you know, Hailey, who is saying those kinds of things, but it sounds like they need a reality check. The only reason it’s hard on the parents is because it is SO hard on the kids. As a mum, it kills me to watch my daughter have to deal with this disease, to know that she has to live with it for the rest of her life, but it’s NOTHING compared to what she has to handle. I’m not a martyr and I’m not going to say I haven’t been angry or upset that she has diabetes, but I’m angry FOR her, not angry AT her. Does that make sense?

Hey Hailey - i am old now but i was a kid with diabetes too. Sometimes it was no fun and other times it didnt bother me so much. The hardest thing for me was telling my friends when i was low…like if i didnt have any thing sweet on me or any money to get something.

One time none of us had any money but we were close to a McDonalds and my friend went up to the counter and said that her friend(me) was diabetic and needed some sugar—a coke magiacally appeared.

For me, the older i get, the easier it is to deal with it

Good luck–Mollie

I hear you. I got diabetes when I was 10 and it was very hard. I felt different from everyone and couldn’t eat what I wanted to.

I’ve been there too. I think school is set up horribly for diabetes. At work I can just test whenever I want, but at school you need permission to do anything and asking permission means interrupting the teacher. Being a kid is supposed to be about being carefree and spontaneous, and you can’t really do that with diabetes.

I was diagnosed at age 11 and shortly thereafter I went with my mom to my first and only meeting with the diabetes support group. It was held at a hotel and we actually had a room with a small indoor pool adjoining a couple of suites. Really nice set up actually. But when we got there, the woman in charge was like “OK, the parents are going to go into a room and talk, but you kids can just go play in the pool.” I was disappointed. It was a support group for the parents, not for the children. Admittedly, most of the children there were much younger than I, so there parents probably had to give them shots and make sure that they tested, whereas I had taken responsibility from the get go.

I have to give props to my mom, for I think she was even more upset with the situation than I was. I know it was hard on her to watch me deal with diabetes. She cares about me and wanted me to be healthy and yet what she could was really limited. But I am the one who has the disease, and I was the one doing the shots and testing. If something goes wrong it’s my body. And she understood that. We never went back.

So for years I have been essentially plugging along on my own. And I did mostly alright, but things disintegrated a bit in college and as I was trying to get my control back up to my standard I realized that I wanted somewhere to talk about diabetes with others who have it. That’s when I turned to the interweb and I have been very happy with all the stories I have heard and shared.

Best of Luck, Hailey

Hi Hailey!

I know im much older than you (im 21), but I’ve been there. I found out I was diabetic when i was 11. During school I made friends with a lot of the teachers and obviously the kids, and everyone who knew me tried to help me. If i needed to take a shot before lunch or between classes, the teachers (with a note from my parents) would let me out of class 5 minutes early to go do my shot, and that helped a lot. Other than that, I tried to be involved with everything my other friends did, like girl scouts and soccer and swim team. The reason why i did this was because those friends already knew what to do to help me out if I needed help. You dont need to do that, but it might help.

as for growing older and dating and that kind of stuff, its best to be open with your parents and doctors and the school counselor.

Im actually about to graduate from college and if I wasnt open with my doctors and parents, I know I woulnt have survived the stressors of school.

Feel free to ask me questions, im sure i could help a little bit

I agree with you, Julia. The pain I feel from this disease has nothing to do with me. The pain comes from watching my child deal with this disease. My emotions have nothing to do with my feelings, but with what my child is feeling. My emotions come as compassion for my child, not pity for myself.

Hailey,

Like a lot of people commenting back to you, I got diabetes as a kid and I know it can be extremely hard to deal with that and just trying to be a “normal” kid. I was six when I was diagnosed.

Your diabetes will always annoy you in some aspect and you will get angry about it, sad about it, feel in control one minute and out of control the next. The thing is, it’s ok to feel that way and think it’s unfair. At the same time, you have to accept it’s something you will deal with your whole life, but it’s not impossible to deal with - which is a good thing.

Like someone else said, I think Rainbow - diabetic camps are really fun and you’d be surprised to know how comforting it is to be at a camp with other kids who get how it is to live with diabetes. In Texas, we have one called Camp Sweeney - www.campsweeney.org. They have a winter camp, fall camp for older kids and also a family camp in September, in addition to their summer sessions. If you go, I PROMISE you will love it - I know I did. :slight_smile:

Also, maybe you can start a group here on tudiabetes for teenagers w/ diabetes - not sure if one exists already, but it may help to have other teens to talk with.

Good luck, sweetie - you will be ok and you always have us here on tudiabetes. :slight_smile:

Sarah, I agree with you on letting others know about your diabetes, especially in school. It’s nothing to be ashamed of and I don’t think a lot of kids or teens w/ diabetes realize that.

When I was in elementary school and clearly having a reaction, but being too stubborn to go to the nurse, 5 of my classmates ran over to the gym teacher and told her “Trina’s diabetes is acting up and she won’t come tell you!” They were my lookouts and understood what was happening with me and were taking better care of me than I was! lol

what bugs me the most is when people see me being able to eat when they can’t and stuff, and say that i’m lucky. i go off on a long explanation on why i’m not. they never say that again. my brothers also get mad when someone tells them i’m lucky, and do the same thing

Oh, this just breaks my heart! There really needs to be support groups for kids and especially pre-teens and teens. We don’t have a support group in our area for her age group, and I live right outside New York City. How about starting a group right here on TuDiabetes for kids your age? I know at least one other kid who will be interested, age 12. E. is SO stressed this year having nine class changes and trying to fit going into the nurse for lunch boluses and blood sugar checks three to four times a day, in addition to fighting lows sometimes. We were able, after much fighting to have her test in class if she feels low, but she still has to go to the nurse before lunch, before and after gym and before going on the bus. We will be working this year to have her take over more of her care on her own, calling us via cellphone. What parents go through is NOTHING compared to what the child is going through. Parents know this, even if professionals don’t, and we would take this from you in a minute if only we could. You kids are very brave and are our heroes. I admire E. so much for the way she handles D. Her self-control (adhering to spaced out meals and snacks, the carb restrictions – yes, she CAN eat whatever she wants, but not too much at once. It is not really the same at all as pre-diagnosis. The eating when low when she does not feel like it. The waiting to eat when too high, constant blood sugar checks day and night, having to check in with us by cell every few hours when away from home, site changes and shots. No parent wants this for their kid. This is so hard to watch. Harder still to experience. We must fight for a cure. This is no way for a child to have to live. But you are all amazing in the way you manage to live life as well as you can, despite this major PITA.

Dear Hailey:
I think that all parents really feel for their kids with diabetes. They probably don’t talk about it in front of you because they don’t want you to see them cry (I am tearing up right now!). I can’t imagine the life, but I can recognize that it is really really hard and awful. My daughter holds in her feelings and only occasionally blows up about how unfair it is and how hard it is. It is healthier to talk about your feelings - I congratulate you for being able to do so. Hang in there kid.