I'm being put on Metformin :(

First of all,Congrats on the good news!.
And thank you for your feedback,very helpful.It’s good to know that somebody is actually benefiting from pharmaceuticals :smiley: .
Well,I’m off it now and I’m doing just fine.Since I don’t have insulin resistance it’s no use to waste time taking it.The only thing I regret is all the weight I could’ve lost,which brings me to my next question,Did you lose weight with it?
And I just noticed,20 shots,TWENTY SHOTS?,and there I was gloating about taking 7 shots a day on average.
Thank you again,And good luck to you too on the baby,Your first?

Thank you Kathyann,You seem to be having quite a history with it.
I told them on Tuesday,they told me I could come off it on Wednesday :slight_smile: .And right now I’m working on the carb thing since I was put on a pump,I actually lost 2 pounds so yay :slight_smile:

Hi Asma- I"m glad to hear that you are able to come off it. I say the less medications we need to take, the better! I hope they find something to help you. if it’s just weight you’re trying to lose, maybe try Symlin? I have no experience with Symlin, but have heard good things about it. It’s another injection, once per day I think.

I wasn’t in need of losing weight, but I ended up losing 10 lbs in two months without changing any of my habits. I say it’s because of the Metformin. If you have insulin resistance, the extra insulin we inject gets stored in fat cells. So, if you are injecting lots of insulin, but your body doesnt need it, fat cells get larger and multiply- causing weight gain. (same goes for untreated Type 2s). So, the goal is to use as little insulin we can, while still keeping good control over our glucose numbers.

Yeah, 20 shots a day. I check BG really often, so I do a lot of minor corrections. It’s easier for me to correct a low than to correct a high. Didnt have any luck wth the pump, so MDI is the only way for me for now.

Yes our first baby! I’m nervous and excited at the same time. Thank you!

I don’t really need to lose weight.I’m about 130 pounds and 5"5 .I just want to lose a pound here and a pound there :wink:
I don’t really mind injections,or the pain.It’s the prepping and all.having to sneak a shot under the table is no fun.
Thank you again,and best of luck with your baby.

You mention only 30 units a day. And perfect fastings but before meal numbers sometimes as high as 200. You seem to be looking very closely at postprandials.

I personally don’t think 30 units a day represents insulin resistance.

I’m thinking maybe instead of concentrating on fasting and postprandials, you ought to be working harder on your before-meal numbers.

I’m very old-school when it comes to bg testing, for decades we never tested anytime except before a meal and insulin doses were adjusted almost exclusively to normalize the before meal numbers. I’m thinking that maybe the new emphasis on postprandials, is resulting in less emphasis on the before meal numbers than there should be. i.e. especially on low carb diets (but even if not on low carb diets) we need something to stop our bg from rising as proteins etc. get converted into rises in bg 3-6 hours after a meal aka gluconeogenesis.

BTW, metformin is not entirely decoupled from that last comment I made, in fact metformin’s primary effect is to reduce gluconeogenesis. But traditionally T1’s deal with that with insulin not metformin. I have to say, to my ears metformin sounds like a wonder drug when it comes to preventing bg rises from proteins and I think I could take advantage of it :slight_smile:

I had digestive issues with regular metformin and switched to the extended release form, it made all the difference.

I don’t know if my experience is helpful to you. I’ve taken metformin of and on for several years and currently take 2.5g, the maximum. There are two forms of metformin, regular and extended release. Most people report less gastric problems with the extended release. Most people also adjust to metformin and any early gastric problems are reduced over time, but you need to work through it.

That being said, the two major benefits for a T1 from metformin is increased insulin sensitivity and reduced glucose production form the liver. The increased insulin sensitivity will help you lose weight, reduce insulin doses and improve your blood sugar rises from meals. It is usually appropriate for a T1 who has experienced a significant increase in insulin requirements and/or struggles with weight. That doesn’t seem to be you. And just so you know, 500 mg of metformin is considered by most to almost not be enough to do anything.

You have an A1c of 8.2 which corresponds to an average blood sugar of 190 mg/dl. You have made great progress, but I know you want to do better. The thing is, you can’t just take a pill or just press a button. I think you are now really at a point where you can take on a lot more of this yourself and markedly improve your control. But that is going to mean you take more responsibility. You will need to figure things out. You need to count the carbs accurately and take your insulin at the right time. And over time, you will need to adjust your pump settings with your doctors help. I really think that the area where you could really make some significant improvement lies in learning about your pump, doing basal tests to get your basal levels set properly, accurately counting your carbs and dosing accurately and consistently. The book “Pumping Insulin” by Walsh is really helpful.

You can do this. I think you can be in the 7s at your next test.

Of course it is-helpful-
2.5!whoa!.
The .5g did give me some lows,highs at night AND the nausea,combined together was a bit hard to take,my biggest fear wa for them to think I improved my numbers -hopefully- because of the metformin which honestly has nothing to do with it.
Hopefully your prophecy will be proven right,next time I do an A1C test -in a month - I’ll make sure to update.
Thanks for motivating,it does mean a lot coming from a wise person. :slight_smile:
now I gotta go ,sorry if my reply seems uncomprihensable,I think I’m having a low so… :smiley:

You will need to reduce the dose by 5 to 10 percent when taking metformin
What you want to minimize is the peak to valley. Deep valleys are just as bad as high peaks! Metformin will help smooth iy out but dont go too low - back off gradually on the basals

after you get us to it the nasuea will be gone takes maybe months to acclimate