Important::: all edge park customers please read

There is definitely a problem with the new freestyle strips - the one with the butterflies. My daughter started using the OmniPod on 8/30/2010. I ordered a 3 month supply from our insurance company’s mail order pharmacy before she started.

The first indication that something was wrong was a control solution test using her PDM that got a reading of 50 (used the control solution because of strange readings on her blood). I immediately called the OmniPod customer support line assuming that I didn’t have something set correctly. They immediately overnighted us a new PDM. The BG readings we got with that PDM were suspect as well. Her school nurse and I figured out that the strips didn’t work after comparing results from her butterfly strips and another student’s older generation Freestyle strips. The two readings with the different strips were 66 points different using blood from the same finger prick (see spreadsheet below) but the older freestyle strips correlated closely with the result we had using her One Touch meter and strips. I called Abbott that night (9/21/2010). They initially seemed hesitant to believe me when I reported the problem. When they finally agreed that there was a problem, the Abbot customer service rep initiated a conference call with a program manager at OmniPod and me. The OmniPod Program Manager said she had to speak to their engineers the following day and would get back to me. I’ve left this woman 2 messages now through the OmniPod customer support number and she’s yet to return my call. GGGRRR

We have over 900 strips in unopened boxes and they are all the new strips. Abbot says they can trade me 100 strips but they would be the new strips as well because they are not manufacturing the old strips any longer. So we’ve got almost $1,000 in completely useless test strips sitting in our pantry.

Luckily for us, we have old One Touch meters and strips from before our DD started on the pod. We’ve quit using the PDM for glucose testing all together until OmniPod and Abbot figure this out. That much incorrect variance is going to kill someone. Please, please, please use another meter & strips or a Freestyle meter that those strips have been actually tested with and not the PDM if you have the butterfly strips. Yes, it is a pain in the neck but it’s just an annoyance in the short term as opposed to death or serious health issues in the long run.

time BG meter strips

12:33 47 PDM butterfly freestyle

12:48 44 PDM butterfly freestyle

12:53 58 PDM butterfly freestyle

12:55 97 one touch one touch

1:07 182 PDM butterfly freestyle

1:07 116 PDM old freestyle

I am still waiting for Abbott to officially respond to me. But, in the meantime if you call them they will replace ALL of your butterfly strips. they have doe it for me. When you call abbott ask for a supervisor and explain to them the situation that you have strips and the Omni pod. They will soon realize there is a problem.

The new boxes they sent me are an orange color on the outside but the viles that hold the strips are white.

These strips have the same order number as the old correct strips and the mail order companies have no idea they are sending you incorrect strips.

Do not let Abbott off the hook make them replace them for you!

I have no idea how this will end but it is a major screw up by Abbott.

Good luck

Bradford,

Sorry to confirm you are incorrect on this one. They are replacing the old strips which worked fine with the Omni pod with the new zipwik tabs.

When you go to edgepark they show the same model number. Amazing how Abbott screwed this up. The other poster is correct the difference in bs readings can be as much as 60 points from my experience. I can tell you it is no fun.

Abbott has yet to have someone in senor mgmt get back to me since Friday, This is a major problem and they know it just have not done anything about it.

Interesting…
.I just received from Bryam Healthcare my new test strips. The strips are the ones you are talking about.I believe.
I tested with the new strips, and then with the old ones…There is a big difference in the readings. The NEW strips show a MUCH LOWER reading… Same finger for all tests.
The “new” box has a butterfly on the package and says :NEW.
So, what does one do if that is the only strips you can get?? I will have to call Bryam to see if I can get the other strips…

Call Abbott Labs directly at 888-522-5226 and ask for a supervisor.

Seth

PS…
I just tried the new test strips in my Freestyle flash, it worked, but blood sugar was lower than the OLD testing strip.

Thank you Seth for bringing this to everyone’s attention!! This is a pretty major issue. I just got off the phone with Abbott. The story they gave me is that they are still manufacturing the OLD strips, and that the old strips are the only ones that are compatible with the Omni. If your pharmacy doesn’t carry them anymore, they will have to special order them but they will still be readily available. You may need to give the NDC numbers that appear on the box of strips to the pharmacy so they can order you the correct ones.

The numbers they gave me are :

100 count box - 99073-0121-01

50 count box - 99073-0120-50

Like we don’t have enough to do!!! But at least we know they are still making the strips.

Has anyone called Omnipod to get their take on this?

I just called abbot and spoke to a rep, who checked with a supervisor. He told me that they have nothing on record about a problem using the butterfly strips with the omnipod. They are going to replace all my unused strips to the old ones. I asked about the supply of the old one and they said they are still making them because they are used with the freedom and some other meter. My son uses the omnipod and I’m not sure that we’ve had any problem, but he 6 so we often have numbers that vary. I really like the new strips, so I hope this gets resolved soon. Now I’m nervous to use them. It’s scares me that I could bolus him based on an incorrect number. I guess they’re ok to use in just the meters and then just manually enter the bs if necessary.

Shzowie,

Do not trust the new strips! I can tell you there are very significant differences in the data. The new can and do register 40-60 points lower for me.

Why would they send you the old strips if there was no problem?

Not all the reps are aware of this is my take on it. The vendors like Edge Park have no clue.They tell me the sku for the new strips is the same as the old strips. They say they are sending what they have always sent.

I am on hold again with Abbott. I think this is a major problem and they are not prepared to deal with it. My next call is the FDA and Joslin Clinic.

This is totally unacceptable.

Seth: The “model number” on the new box, is what you are referring to that is the same as the NDC numbers I wrote above? The NDC number is a number that stands for “National Drug Code”. Each number should be unique for each product for all drugs/products regulated by the FDA. It should be different for the two types of strips or there is a major $%! up from Abbott.

I wonder if the supply companies just assigned the same internal sku number but the NDC numbers are actually different (I hope!)

Please let us know what you find out.

Just got off the phone with Omnipod and the rep after varifying with a supervisor told me that the new Freestyle strips (the butterfly) are not approved by the FDA to be used with the omnipod and should not be used with the PDM. The old strips only. I guess I’m off to get a bottle of old one if I can find one until Abbott sends my replacement and also speak with my pharmacy to make sure they order to old ones too. Such a pain, cause I liked the new strips, but I like my son better. : )

That was exactly my thoughts. Why would they replace them if no problem except just CYA. I told the rep at omnipod that abbott acted like there was no problem and she gave a little laugh like “oh really”. I just using the old ones. I stress out enough over my childs bs to add extra crap to it. Thanks for letting us know.

Oh man! Something else to do to (try and) stay on top of this PITA disease. I just got the new strips from CVS…haven’t used them, yet. I guess I’ll have to call them and check on availability of the old ones. Thanks, Seth, and everyone for the info.

I just spoke to another rep and the strips are definitely NOT to be used. They are going to have a person from home office call me on this.

They need to have a mechanism to notify people.

I It has been since Friday am and no official word. It seems to me they are scrambling at this point. I am also calling the ceo of Insulet.

I will be back

I just called to get CVS to order the old ones for me and having the NDC # that jennifer posted was so helpful. This site is amazing. Thanks again, Seth, Jennifer and everyone.

I’m just hoping those NDC numbers aren’t the same numbers that appear on the new strips!! I don’t have the new strips, if anyone does would they mind looking at them to see if the numbers are different? If they are the same I think we’re in trouble!

Is that the UPC# on the bottom? I’ve got…

99073 12101

Hello! At the risk of being attacked, I want to point out that not all people are having trouble with the new strips. I am using the “new” butterfly strips and have been for the past month with the omnipod. I have had no issues; they always read within ten or fifteen points of my CGM (which is to be expected with my CGM regardless of the strip). I’m not referring to the freestyle lite butterfly strips, which are not approved for omnipod, but just the regular old butteryfly strips that are for freestyle systems with coding. I have a few friends also using them and my mom (all omnipodders are well) and none of us are having problems. I wouldn’t throw these new strips out or go to great lengths to switch them unless you find yourself having issues because they have been just fine for some of us. Just pointing that out, not trying to be contrarian for no reason.

Esjay,

That is good feedback and I am glad to hear you are not having problems. I am not suggesting anything other than people be aware of what others are experiencing.

Thanks

Totally agree. It is something to be aware of.