In public or Not?

The phone is perfect for showing people what is going on, I have used mine in instructional videos also.

sdkate! Pun intended. I was teasing my good friend, Kathy.

When I was on MDI I injected through jeans and my shirt all the time when I used my legs, arms, or stomach.

Once a friend, who was unaware of my D we hadn't seen each other in awhile,asked me if I was going to drop my pants and "shoot up" right there and then at a classier restaurant. I told her if that's what I have to do to live, I guess that's what I have to do....I stood up and thought she was going to be the one on the floor.....it was a hoot --- but nope didn't drop my pants either.....:)

I have no problem testing my BG or giving myself an injection in public or not. Since I was first diagnosed back 05 I only had to test twice a day. So that was no big deal, I was at home or at the office. Since I started on insulin back in April, now I have to test 8 times a day. So far I've only tested and injected once in public at a restaurant. Matter of fact I was taking care of business while the owner of the restaurant was talking to my wife and I. The owner knows us. So no big deal.

However, the funniest story for me so far. I was with my mother on a road trip. While stopped at a gas station it was time for me to test and give myself an injection. Just as I was preparing to give myself the injection in my stomach, my mother started get a little squeamish. I ask her what's wrong? She said " Oh I just can't watch you give yourself a shot." I reminded her: "Mother! you use to give me allergy shots when I was a kid, what's the difference?" She laughed and turned her head away. I still tease her about it.

it could lead to infection
She was right about this.

I don’t hesitate to test in public. In the beginning I used to go to the bathroom to inject but they are usually so dirty I started to inject discretely at the table. Now I am a pumper so that is not an issue.

Wow, they let you do allergy shots at home? I'm starting them in the fall and was told they have to be done at a doctor's office where they have the proper medications to respond to a severe reaction, and you must stay for 30 minutes after each shot to monitor for such a reaction. Didn't know they let people do those at home.

I think squeamishness can vary somewhat. I usually have no problems with needles of any kind, even when they have trouble getting an IV in me (which they always do). Yet one time I got very lightheaded and had to lie down while they put in an IV because I felt like I was going to pass out (thankfully didn't). Ever since then I've never had an issue, so who knows why that time was different.

LOL

Wherever... whenever... however... Never been hassled, and don't usually ask people if they mind. Consider pens much more discreet than syringes, so if I had to use syringes I might think of being less visible.

As an aside, anyone know if it's true that your license will be taken away if a cop witnesses you testing while in a car?

A link to various reasons why it is necessary to test and manage your diabetes in public (USA)

http://www.isletsofhope.com/pdf http://www.isletsofhope.com/pdf/faq-public-testing.pdf

Thanks David, I'm copying this for my CDE and others in our Diabetic group...a source of reference if nothing else.

Not in South Dakota, as far as I know. They will ask to see your pen or syringe to make sure it's not something else, that's why it's important to have your medical information with you, bracelet, medal, doc's infor,etc.

So. Waay back in about 2007 when I found this haven, almost accidentally, only recently diagnosed, one of my very first questions, after lurking for a bit, was I'm scared about my first public test---it was jury duty.

The best advice I got was something like---nobody will notice--it's just another stupid electronic device! That was perfect for the moment. Gave me all the confidence I needed and it worked for me then perfectly!....

Since then, with TuD postcards and brochures in my purse, Every test in public is about Education! I do it very visibly and if anybody happens to notice, I talk with them!!!...Go for it!.....

About 10 years ago my wife had to take allergy shots. I remember she went to her doctor for several weeks for the nurse to administer the shots in case of a reaction. After that she was able to give herself the shots.

I was about 6 years when I started on allergy shots. I stayed on them for about 10 years. From what I remember my mother took to me to a clinic in my hometown for the nurse to administer the shots. After so many visits the nurse showed my mother how to give the injections.

Talking about being squeamish. Starting in my 7 grade year, I was enrolled at a military school. So every Monday I had to go on sick-call to receive my allergy shots from the school medic. Mondays were usually busy for the school medic. So "Doc" had a way by using me to weed out the fakers who showed up for sick-call. I went along with his scheme. "Doc" would walk into the infirmary's waiting room with this syringe that could hold a 1/2 gallon of liquid with a foot long needle. He called my name, "Carr come on get your shot." I would hear a gasp out of every of cadet sitting in the waiting room. Walked into "Doc's" office, he give my shot (Not using the one I described). He would ask me to look out the window to see how many cadets walking away from the infirmary. I would give him a count, usually about half that came down. "Ah good! that's half of my work gone, now I can treat those who are really sick." Over the years, I've had some of the cadets asked me if I really got shot with that long needle. I would tell the yes I did. Most of the time they would get this funny look on their face, like, I hope I never get a shot with that kind of needle.

Here is a picture of me when I was a Cadet. http://www.tudiabetes.org/photo/pass-in-review-when-i-was-a-cadet-second-from-the-left?context=user

I test and inject whenever I need to, regardless of where I am at the time. I've realized that the more I just do it and treat it like no big deal, the more nobody even notices.

I've thought about this a lot (especially since I'm on the road to insulin most likely). I already test wherever whenever. Just a few days ago I did it while waiting for waiter to arrive and just when he did, I had blood on my finger and the testing kit all spread out in my lap. I ordered my coffee and he didn't even blink, maybe he didn't notice, maybe he didn't care, whatever.
If/when I'll be injecting, I'll do the same. I've always been torn in between being anxious what people think and not caring at all. Well, when it comes to this, I think it's important to spread awareness and not to be shy about it like you're doing something bad. But if someone is more private about it, that's fine too. We're all different. And I probably wouldn't do it in certain places either (like, in front of bunch of kids maybe?).

I test and inject in public. The way I see it, this is a big part of my life. I shouldn't have to hide it because someone might see a shot or a fingerstick. People see worse things on the 5 O'clock news and their kids see it too. (Nobody seems to raise a stink about that!) I'm not forcing anyone to "watch" me do it. They can easily divert their eyes elsewhere!

You can follow my YouTube Channel "Adults Get Type 1 Diabetes, too" at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCwrDQ5Vj2JDPIu4Txjm_7w
Blog: http://www.myladalife.blogspot.com

I have tested and injected in public when it could be discreet. When it could not be discreet, I usually go to the handicapped stall in the bathroom, test and inject. I like to keep my condition to myself yet I have a co-worker that announces her condition to customers as well as coworkers like she wants them to feel sorry for her or she wants the attention or pity. I feel better being more private about it vs. public.

I understand wanting to keep it to yourself, and that's fine, you need to be comfortable with it. Good for you.