Inconspicuous diabetes bag for on the go

Hi - I’ve read a bunch of the older posts on diabetes supplies bags, but I thought I’d revisit. It seems to me that there are 2 problems with a lot of bags out there.

1. they have a lot of organizing pockets and require you to have a clean place to lay the bag down to get your supplies, test, inject, etc. That’s often not possible. In fact, more times than not I’m standing or in a dirty bathroom when I need my supplies.
  2. they are so conspicuous, and I don’t always want to make it obvious what I’m doing when I leave a restaurant table to go inject.

I’m curious what kinds of “bag issues” other people are having, and what solutions they’ve found.

I’ve been riding a motorcycle since the early 1980s, so I have been putting all of my stuff in a backpack. Now that I’m diabetic, I have to carry my d-stuff too. I use one of those cheap toiletry bags 10 x 8 x 3 inches with a mesh insert. All my d-stuff goes in there, and it’s easy to find without even looking. I like the mesh because it lets my Frio breathe.

When in a restaurant, I test and bolus at the table. I use a pump now, but I injected at the table when I was on MDI. I keep my backpack under my chair, reach down, unzip the backpack and it’s easy to feel the d-bag and pull that out and onto my lap. I keep an old test strip bottle in there to receive the used strips, as well as a small bottle of peroxide and some paper towels / napkins. The bag is flat, it serves as a decent work surface on my lap, and has worked quite well for me. One additional benefit for me, which may not apply to anyone else, is that I’ve built the habit to always use that bag, so I have never misplaced this or that d-thing. It’s all in one place, all the time.

1 Like

I haven’t found a really inconspicuous bag that works for me - I don’t generally carry a backpack or briefcase. What I have been using most of the time is one of the smaller bags from Sugar Medical or Myabetic. They have most of the space I want/need and are not overly large. For travel, I bought an EMT first aide pouch - there are a number of types of those available (I got mine on Amazon) - and several sizes. Multiple pockets, lots of elastic straps to hold things in place and fairly generic-looking.

1 Like

I like the idea of a toiletry bag because except for the mesh it’s all one pocket. The bags that have lots of small pockets and elastic loops require too much attention. I’ve actually been using one of those neoprene cases for a mini tablet, and when I don’t carry a bag with I’ll use that as a wallet and a d bag, and just carry it on its own.

I’m on a pump and, even when I was on shots, I didn’t leave the table to inject.

Aside from my meter (which I carry in a tiny case, not the giant one that came with it), Dexcom, and glucose tablets, I fit all of my diabetes supplies in the case that comes with the newer Bayer Contour meters. In that case I’ve fit an extra infusion set; an extra cartridge; a Precision Neo meter; glucose and ketone strips for the Neo; little bags with Advil, Reactine, Zantac, and Benadryl; extra squares of tape; sone alcohol swabs; a bag with extra batteries for pump and meter and a quarter; two pen cartridges of Apidra; a bag with pen needles; and an insulin pen (stored in two pieces so it fits in the bag). The entire thing is smaller than a portable hard drive case (maybe half the size) and very light.

I hate carrying purses because they get so heavy with all the diabetes, allergy, and vision stuff I need to carry, so instead I have one of those sling packs that are like half a backpack and go over one shoulder.

Lol “inconspicuous d-bag”

I carry only what fits in one hand or in one pocket easily… It’s a psychological thing for me, I feel like the less d-junk I carry the less I’m letting this interfere with my life.

3 Likes

Sam19, you’ve taken “carrying light” to a whole new level!

Myabetic has some nice bags, and DiabetesSisters is running a contest (and has discount codes if you don’t win) for the bags
https://diabetessisters.org/diabetessisters-hosts-myabetic-giveaway

Sam, do you mostly use the 4 unit cartridges? Do you order the 8 unit ones as well? I just placed another order for all 4-unit cartridges. I don’t often inhale 8 at a time.

Your d-stuff carry-alongs are small. I use a day-pack and that can be socially awkward in some situations.

I more often than not use the 8s actually, terry— the 4s are basically reserved for corrections for me. I get 60/ 8s and 30 4s per order. I like packing light, only my close friends even realize I have diabetes.

I’m trying to find a smaller ‘pricker’ that works reasonably well… Welcoming suggestions

That’s awesome. Do you just jam that pile in your pocket? I only like having a small bag so I don’t have think when I go out. Just grab the bag or stick it in a backpack.

Yes the pile just goes strait in the pocket

I’m on syringes (switching to pen insulin soon), and the easiest way I found to conceal my supplies needles and vials is to use a hard eyeglass case. I use a freestyle lite case and put my meter, alcohol swabs, and a couple extra lancets in it. Those two things go in my messenger bag, along with a bit of carbs for lows.

The eyeglass case seems to be the most discreet case that I’ve used thus far.

And I’d have to agree, I typically inject at the table, unless I’m doing an injection on my leg- and when I do an injection on my leg, I’d rather not use a bathroom…

When I did injections in my leg, I generally did them right thru my pants :smile:

1 Like

I have something like a pencil case - from here: http://en.dawanda.com/shop/Slophat
but i normally inject at the table. The case is big, but it has everything, so i don’t need to think about anything, just grab and go. It means i am also always the one with an aspirin, a pen or a band-aid, as i keep everything in there.
I only go to the bathroom if it is time for my basal shot at midnight (we’re night owls, and sometimes we’re out late).
I’m still looking for the perfect ‘evening’ bag - i don’t like having to take my big handbag to weddings and formal occasions - fortunately, i don’t have to go to these very often, and in a pinch, i put my pens in my husband’s coat pocket.
I have been accused of vaping in the bathrooms a couple of times, as people see my pen and assume it is an e-cig.
Haven’t had this happen on a plane yet… but I’m sure the day will come.

I use a nifty little black floral bag from Dakine probably designed for makeup that I keep inside my purse. It easily holds a vial, multiple syringes, strips, a lancet and alcohol swabs. It could also easily accommodate my Dexcom receiver and a tube of glucose tabs, too (don’t know why I haven’t bothered to put them in). Like everybody else, I test and inject at the table. My little pouch is cute, feminine and discreet, and I’ve never felt weird about pulling it out. Everyone seems to have something like it these days! Though perhaps not as good looking as mine. :wink:

These are all great ideas and some of them are really nice looking! My only issue is that I’m often standing up when I want to check my bg, or even inject if I’m at an event, so something that you need to hold on your lap doesn’t always work.

That is why i prefer my case without special compartments. I tried one with all the required loops etc, but as you said, it needs to be on my lap or on a table. When i know i’m going to be standing up, i sling my handbag across my body, and sit my diabetes bag at/in the top of it, and i can just fumble around in it until i find what i’m looking for - although the lancing device is ALWAYS at the very bottom, because it is evil like that :slight_smile:
It’s still a little fiddly checking bg etc, but it works ok, as long as I’m not in a shoving crowd.

I just use a purse.:grinning:

That’s a bad idea. I’ve heard of instances where you could accidently infect yourself that way.

As for me, I use the Medport 2 week diabetes kit. Ip has room for my meter, pens, logp book, lancets, a roll of glucose tablets, pen needles, used pen needles and a few remedies. It served me well when I was on syringes too. I bought it though Amazon.