Infant Diagnosis and impact on Breastfeeding experience

I am currently preparing to take the exam this July to become a Lactation Consultant and reading about Breastfeeding implications with an ill child. I am interested if anyone has had a child who was diagnosed during the first year and how that impacted a Breastfeeding experience. My son was diagnosed just before his first birthday and he was still nursing. It was challenging to determine if he needed insulin coverage or not. I did find it helpful during times of low blood sugars when he wasn’t agreeable to drinking or eating anything offered but he would nurse and it would bring his blood sugar up very well. Is there anyone who has experience with this at an earlier age when breastmilk is more the main source of nourishment and willing to share their experience?

Hi Natalie,
Yes, i'd be willing, but my son was diagnosed a bit older, at 23 months. So breastmilk was not his main source of food, but he was still nursing. I had a hard time trying to figure out how much to bolus for nursing! it ended up that I didn't really need to, which I finally figured out thanks to his CGMS.

My son was diagnosed at 14 months, but he was on formula and not breast milk. However, he was struggling with "table food" so his primary nutrition was still formula. He was also diagnosed "early" in the disease, as his BG was only in the 200's and he had a 5.7% A1C so he was still making some insulin at that time. At the hospital they said that with the very little ones they just try to give them basal initially with one shot of lantus a day, and let them eat whatever they want. However, to him a carb was a carb even if it was formula or anything else, and we had to go on the 5-6 shot regimen right away with fast acting / long insulin right away. However, he was honeymoon-ing something fierce and making insulin at all sorts of random times. Thank goodness for the CGM.

I know this isn't specific to breast milk, but hope this helps all the same. We also moved to a pump very soon, because no way can I measure .15 on a syringe and my son was on a 1:100 ratio when we left the hospital. I find dealing with diabetes with kids who can't talk and who you can't tell to eat or drink has very special challenges - good luck with your little one. The CGM - and now the pump - has been life savers for us.