Inhaled insulin

I am currently involved in a clinical trial involving inhaled insulin. The study is sponsored by NovoNordisk.

Before the study started, I was a little concerned about the "inhaled" part- I didn't want to end up with lung cancer, or anything nasty like that.

But the thought of free test strips and insulin was too tempting for me- and here I am! I think that inhaled insulin is way better than injected. I don't have to inject, just load up the machine and breathe it in.

The machine is big and clunky, probably because it is an investigational device. But you set it to the amount you want- (the inhaled amounts have a close, but not 1 for 1, correlation with injected amounts), and wait a minute for the machine to heat up. When it beeps, I just take a deep breath. The insulin gets vaporized, and there you go!

Overall, I like the inhaled better than the injections. There is no bleeding and no abcesses. The cons: it takes a while for the device to heat up, and each strip only has about 10 units on it.

Anybody else here involved in a clinical trial? Any thoughts? I am a clinical coordinator myself for Alzheimers disease patients, and I would love to hear your thoughts on clinical trials.

I’m part of a research study of kidney transplant patients. The study is following me & my blood work for 3 years. In the study, I received one gram of steroid immunosuppressant (IS) drug right after the surgery. After that, my daily IS drugs are non-steroids.

My local nephroloigist (kidney doc) suggested I participate in any research opportunity offered at the transplant hospital. I have no problem with it since the IS drugs I take are not new or experimental. Study check-up visits are coordinated to coincide with my regular check-up visits at the post-transplant clinic. If the study can help somebody else, that’s a good thing, too.

I was selected as a test patient in another study involving islet cell transplants. This study I found at ClinicalTrials.gov and submitted the application, test work, letters for doctors, etc.

If and when this one finally starts, I will be leaving the transplant study. Both sets of testers know about this situation. What I know about the delay has something to do with FDA approval. My current use of IS drugs means that no additional IS drugs need be added after the islet cell transplant(s).

Again these clinical trials appear to me to have little risk. It’s sort of exciting to be in something like this too. I have the opportunity to learn while providing the “raw material” (data) for the researchers.

Exactly how I feel. Thats some pretty intense stuff you are participating in.