Injecting 1 unit of insulin

Novolog, yes is available as well as Humalog in the US in cartridges, Lantus was not and I believe still is not available in the US in cartridges but easily available by mail order from Canada.

This is great information and love this forum for constant learning. Iā€™m in a similar situation. On Humalog and use a Junior pen with half unit dose increments because Iā€™m sensitive to insulin ~ 1:30 insulin to carb ratio. 11 units Toujeo every morning. Iā€™ve often wondered if 0.5 or 1 unit being such a tiny volume really makes itā€™s way through even the nano needle and into me or if most remains in the needle. Priming a unit or two to the air is wise and will now be routine. I had asked my endo and pharmacist about that when diagnosed a few years ago and they acted like I was crazy. I donā€™t see it at wasteful bc the pen expires before all used up anyway. Thank you!

Iā€™ve used both the Novo and Lilly kidsā€™ pens for the half-unit increments, depending on which manufacturer Kaiser is stocking at the moment. What I want is a Toujeo pen with half units. At the moment, 12U is not enough and 13U is too much. I donā€™t think there is such a thing.

Wow. Iā€™m in the same boat with Toujeo too. I have liked it much better than Lantus but would love a half unit option. I guess that helps the pump argument. Also would like different basal insulin rates for weekends when I need much less. But I donā€™t want to be tethered just yet.

I do not understand why the [Pendiq] pen is limited to 2,000 shots. What am I missing? With a full insulin cartridge and a recharged battery, what prevents it from working forever? But like you and Kathtyn41 I could only use a pen if it delivered less than the usual 0.5U. Thanks for the info.

Please, I did not say that the Pendiq pen was limited to 2000 shots. I was only giving my 15+ years of experience using Pendiq pens, from their initial models to their latest 2.0 models. At 5-8 shots a day they no longer work after about 1 year of use, not a limitation, they just break like any other mechanical/digital piece of equipment eventually breaks. They are quite light and not that rugged. Sometimes I only get 10 1/2 - 11 months and sometimes I get 16 - 18 months out of a Pendiq pen. The difference in time always appears to be related to the number of shots I take each day. During the Summer months, I get more exercise so fewer shots per day and during the couch potato Winter days, I need more shots. The pens are totally awesome, so I would not use anything else. Several doctors have commented that my regiment is so fine-tuned that it is really equivalent to using a pump without all the downsides that come with being on a pump.

Thank you.

Just want to mention that syringes can dose a single unit reliably every time. Equally easy to dose a half unit (choose a syringe marked in half units) or smaller fraction depending on how closely you look at it and how good your vision is - quarter unit is definitely possible if you need that precision.

1 Like