Insertion site over time

Thanks for suggestions, Dave?Marie,

I cannot use steel sets as they jam into my muscles as I am very thin. I am loving being on pump vacation for now. Never imagine f after 20 years hooked up, but actually feel Freedom, and BGs are good. At least I know I am getting insulin and no crazy highs! Everything is for now. Thanks agin guys.

I took a 6-month vacation two years ago. Used Tresiba and Humalog pens. It worked well and I enjoyed not being tethered to the pump. But I had lots of bruising at the injection sites and missed the basal-rate adjustability from my pump.

It felt great to be off the pump at first, but the charm wore off with time.

1 Like

I was off of mine for 1 year. I felt like an idiot for being off of it when I realized my control was worse than I wanted it to be. Iā€™d rather be ā€œtetheredā€ than have a heck of a time keeping my bgā€™s safe and sane.

1 Like

I know I have used this picture before, but this is how I tape it down. I use this technique everywhere, leg (inner and outer), under my arm and back of arm, upper buttocks and hips. I put the metal needle in, push the tape part done, than disconnect the infusion set and than put tape over the connector. Reconnect and it is good to go. It has been years since Iā€™ve pulled one out even when in those challenging areas. Good luck!

Thanks for feedback to all. I am loving being off my pump for now but know that one day I will go back on. I have pretty good controll for MDI and have not had crazy highs or lows or roller coaster rides in last month. Most likely, because I know I am getting insulin! 50 years of shots and 22 year of pump therapy, this body needed a change.
These new insulins ( tresiba) are amazing for constant basal.

1 Like

Payton,
I too have lots of bruising from the MDI. At my age, I do not care. I also love that I can swim laps and have basal on board. Used to have trouble being off pump for extended time. I can stay in pool for 45 minutes and then take Long shower!
Grateful for what worksā€¦for now!

It is funny how we are all so different. I have given multiple shots, sometimes 10 a day, for 61 yrs and have no scar tissue at all. I rarely bruise. The CGM does bother my skin though. I am taking a break from it so that my skin can completely heal and so that I can get better sleep.

My control is still excellent. My fingertips are showing a bit of wear, but they arenā€™t bad.

1 Like

Just want to give an update on this. So I started using the sure Ts and almost finish a box. Unfortunately Iā€™m still getting insulin flow blocks. They are easier to resolve in that I just have to disconnect and reconnect and most of the time it starts working again. And I noticed it leaves a irritated spot when I remove it. :woman_shrugging:t3: this insulin occlusion is so frustrating.

May I ask what type of long acting insulin you take? Iā€™m considering a pump vacation.

Tresiba. I really like it.

1 Like

Have you noticed any weight fluctuations since taking it? Thatā€™s the only think scaring me from trying itā€¦what others have said about weight gain.

New insulins do not cause me to gain weight, unless I give too much insulin while adjusting to the new insulin. So no, Tresiba did not cause me to gain any weight.

1 Like