Insulin doseage

so anyway i have heard of the fixed dose the sliding scale and the IC ratios but has anyone heard of the 234 scale?

My endo put me on it what is, is i have a base dose of 30 units of novolog but pending where my blood sugar is (lets say mid 200's) i can add 2 units to the base. the same would go for if my bg was in the 300s it would be my base + 3. has anyone heard of this?

I suspect that most people find it more beneficial to determine what your carbohydrate/insulin ratio is to balance food and insulin more precisely.

I recall the sliding scale from the 1980s but, when I used to party a lot, it occurred to me that one could use insulin like something one bought in the parking lot at a Grateful Dead concert. I didn't learn about actually figuring out a ratio for like 20 years of just eyeballing stuff and correcting and re-correcting but counting carbs and getting a ratio when I got my pump made everything fall into place.

"Think Like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner or "Your Diabetes Science Experiment" by Ginger Vieira or "Using Insulin" by John Walsh all are excellent primers that take you step by step through the process of figuring this out. If your doc can't help you get oriented in that direction, maybe it's time to find a doctor who can?

Haven't heard of that one. I'm trying to understand how it will work. You say that you have a base dose of 30 is that 30 units before each meal with 2 or 3 more depending on your before meal bg test. Do you also have a basal insulin such as Lantus or Levemir. I'm having a hard time understanding how 2 or 3 extra units will help very much if bg is in the 200 to 300 range.

What is your diet like? Is it high in carbs? I noticed you are Type 2. It always blows my mind how much insulin a type 2 can take. I'm type 1 and I don't think I use more than about 30-40 units totally of humalog a day. And that's if I'm hitting the carbs a bit heavy.

I agree with AR, I don't think any of these scales, sliding or otherwise are very effective at managing blood glucose levels. A lower carb diet, and matching your Insulin/Carb ratio is a much more effective means of taking insulin for food use.

Your T2 aren't you. When we get to the point that we are on both long and short acting insulin our D is not much different treatment wise than a T1.

Acidrock is right, you must think like a T1. Carb counting and calculating insulin is the way to go. And he's also right that if your doctor can't help you get there then maybe you should look for another one.

Your 234 sounds like an easy way to describe a sliding scale. 200-299 sliding scale says add 2 units; 300-399 sliding scale says add 3 units, etc. It may be too basic for your needs?