Insulin not working to lower BG after 34+ years of T1D

Thanks for your input..I was using Humalog for 4 months ending in Jan. then I got approval to go back to Novolog since then..I have been working with the Endo. nurse daily in this past week as far as changes in doses etc. I only weigh about 120 so that is why my doses are so small..I am sure we will talk about other types of insulin as nothing is really making any difference currently !

I get that ! But I'm raising my doses daily to try to see a big change. So you have had issues like this ? It is just so shocking for me to be in this position ! Before this my daily was 10u Lantus & 5u Novolog per meal so this is extreme for me & worse to not see any results from larger doses ! Thanks Aaron I will keep updating here as this goes on...

Will look into those books,thanks

hobbit - Your sage advice is not only helping KayLo but many others, too. Your participation here makes TuD a better place! Thank you for your time.

KayLo - I’ve learned many times that going back to the basics reliably pays off long term. It’s more work and a pain in the tail, but always worth it. Good luck with your struggle.

Try to lower the basal dose or even stop it completely for a while. Yes, it sounds counterintuitive, but it might work. I had similar problems with Novolog "not working", then I read somewhere about chromic insulin overdose describing people increasing their boluses to no avail. The solution was to lower the basal rate. It helped me in my case to return to my usual Novolog sensitivity.

PS: when I tried to recollect exactly what I did I remembered that I cut basal and bolus, and cards intake in general. My idea was to let all excess insulin to work out from the body, even though at the price of having some uncovered food for a while. It took a few days to return to 100 range from 200-300 highs.

Lowering basal and bolus rates would only work if you were going high as a rebound from a missed acute low. If your basal is too high you can crash and then rebound extremely high after your liver does a glucose dump in respond to the low. If your BG in the middle of the night is level on your basal testing then this will not work.

Good news...I have proven that the Niacin was the cause of the highs !! Went back to a non-flush niacin & no more scary highs !!So now I am back to my "normal" issues...treating lows more often than highs..Again Thanks for all the advice & input !

Good to hear! I had the exact same experience. Great news indeed.

A number of years ago when I was using the first version of the Dexcom CGM, I had to do paired BG tests for calibrations. At first I was using a One Touch meter and the tests had wide variability even when one right after the other. I switched to a different brand meter and had better test to test consistency on those double tests...Don't know if that helps. It sounds totally frustrating. Usually when my insulin needs go up I am upset and stressed or in pain, or have an infection. Wishing you the best.