I blogged about Invokana a little more than a month ago. I had been discussing Invokana with my endo for about a year. I started a sample course for a month and then elected to employ a combination drug called InvokaMet which combines 100 gm with 500mg of Glucophage branded metformin. As you might imagine I extensively researched this drug even to the point of talking to their pharmaceutical advisers at AADE and calling the company with questions.
I'll try to take a cut at your questions but realize, everyone is different.
1. Is the 10-15 pound weight loss real? I'll be thrilled if it is, but it sounds too good to be true.
I seem to have lost 1-3 pounds in time I have been on Invokana but my weight has been stable and I'm only slightly overweight by BMI (it is also too early to tell whether this is real weight loss). I would believe that if you are significantly overweight a 10-15 lb loss may be achievable.
2. Has anyone (especially women) had UTI's or yeast infections on it? I'm not susceptible (he asked me before he offered it), but still.
UTIs are the most common side effect and can be serious for us. I'm male, haven't had any problems. Women are much more prone to UTIs.
3. Have any of you experienced lows? If so, about how often and how low? (I know it's variable per person, but I'm trying to get an approximate idea.)
You should really only experience a low if you are on a sulfonylurea or insulin. I've had to reduce my insulin doses (primarily basal) by 30-40% in order to avoid lows.
4. How well does it lower your BG?
I've always suffered from high fasting blood sugars, Invokana has had a marked effect on my fasting numbers. I used to almost never see numbers below 100 mg/dl, now I routinely see preprandial numbers below 100 mg/dl.
5. How much more frequently do you urinate? I drink a lot as it is so I'm not terribly worried--more just curious.
I have noticed an increased frequency of urination. I don't wake up at night, but certainly during the day. And while I originally thought that Invokana would increase the excretion of glucose primarily after I ate it turns out you dump glucose all the time. Even when fasting with a blood sugar of < 100 mg/dl my urine will still turn diastix to the darkest color.
6. Are there any other side effects you've experienced? (Bad OR good--metformin and cycloset were excellent appetite suppressants.)
The only other side effects I've been dealing with is changes in digestion. I'm not clear whether that is due to changing from metformin XR to glucophage or to the Invokana. Constipation is a listed side effect.