Is anyone else ever really, really scared?

Face it you are old LOL

Aha!! The onset of presbyopia, which translates to “old eyes”! Since I’m nearsighted, I usually read without any glasses at all – but you may need reading glasses.

And just you remember I’m 20 years your senior, boy!!

I will be as brief as possible:

1 listen to these guys
http://www.diabetespowershow.com/

1. If you do, you will get ‘persective’ and learn that you must address your Diabetes, and 'there is a way out of this hole.

2. Refer to point 1.

3. Trust me, and I know you will be fine…
    5 Or, just try me out on this one!

1 = Life is not a practice flight enjoy every moment.
2 = Grow older with each and every day
3 = Who is not
4 = Happy in life will never be a waste of life
5 = Many many diseases can kill us each and every day
6 = Be thankful for the operation that nowadays is as common as the next one and be grateful for that operation for which only a few years back was non-existent.
7 = I am 43 years old. I have type one diabetes. Diagnosed now for over 40+ years. I have two eyes two legs two arms and am grateful for each and every day I take breath in this world. Focus not on your illness but how lucky you are to be given a great life. There are more wrongs in the world that may have befallen you.

So far even the rich and super powerful are one step closer to dying every day.

We are doing it faster than they are but America is a society without equity and we like it that way.

The only thing we can do is keep our BG as closer to normal at all times.

My brother was dying from the complications of diabetes(gangrened feet) but he was still happy a cheerful.

If you are not happy because of fear then what is the use of living.

I was diagnosed in 2004 with breast and thyroid cancer. One very very agressive and one pretty slow and benign… However I was only37 and had 3 small children at home and just 6 months remarried after 7 years of being a single mom… I was NOT ready to die… but it looked like I would many times… and understanding risks, and statistics is SOOOOOOOOOOO scarey!!!

Finally I figured out that I have 100% chance of living this day if God wants me to and 0% chance if he doesn’t… those are the ONLY stats I need to know…

So now 7 years later (tomorrow is my 7 year all clear from cancer)… I find myself having to use the same philosophy… I can only do what I can do to keep my sugars down and the rest is in God’s hands. I am alive and my kids get to see me everyday… and I have gotten to homeschool them for 7 more years than any doctor would have thought possible. I am alive and healthy today… Thank You Lord!!

Edited to add: Even if you didn’t have diabetes… there is no assurance of growing old… or for finishing today for that matter. Having diabetes faces people to confront their mortality (everyone is dying every second of every day… we are just more aware of it) … and even though it is painful and difficult, in the end, we wind up with a greater appreciation for life and for NOW, that people who go carelessly through life never have or appreciate… It is one of the gifts of diabetes… :slight_smile:

It is scary when you start to think about the possible complications we might get due to our diabetes.
I can totally sympathise with the worries of losing your sight and never growing old. Ive been diabetic t1 since I was 6, and im 20 now. Through my teenage years I used to worry a lot about the complications and how these might affect me. However the best advice Ive been given when Ive been worrying about this is to think of life in terms of, "yes I have a health condition which may in the long run impact on my life expectancy and quality. However, tomorrow when I walk down the street I may get hit by a bus and die or be paralysed. When I get in my car, I may crash and kill myself. I may eat something and choke. Life is full of possibilities, both negative and positive. What will happen, will happen. With diabetes all we can do is try and make sure we look after ourselves. Just as when you walk down the street you pick to walk on the pavement, not down the middle of the road. its all about reducing risk"
Hope this helps :slight_smile: x

Way to go. Being touched like you have, with cancer, leaves you changed forever. It is like you have walked right to the edge a sheer precipice, and looked right down, facing your own death and survived. Despite having a chronic disease, it is always important to keep things in context and enjoy and make something of the lives that we have. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Yes i’m terrified of losing my eyes or legs, my dad lost an eye to diabetes. I’m only 24 and i’ve lost so much because of bad control, I’ve been on nearly all regimes and diets and nothing works. it’s tough but ya have to smile :slight_smile:

I agree – all you can do is your best, and then you have to cope with what life hands you. I am always happy when I meet disabled people who are coping, and making the best of their lives. When you come right down to it, disabilities can happen to anyone at any time. But life is still worth living!

Hope the laser treatment went well. I have only just found this.

Diabetes will not make you live any less longer - unless you let it!
I cannot say anything about your sight - but the fact that you are having laser treatment means there is some hope! They would not do it otherwise.

Suggest you go for some treatment for depression. D and D can go hand in hand, each making the other worse.

I do understand. It does make you a stronger person once you have got over the worst of it!

Thank you.

acidrock, you look like a teenager in your photo - can’t believe you are 43! Oh how, I miss beer. :frowning:

haha! Yep we are getting “old”. :slight_smile:

When I had laser surgery (not for D but for bad astigmatism) I was 32, they told me that people over 40 were not advised to have it and if you did you would still need glasses - don’t know how they came up with that age they didn’t explain it to me. I am pretty sure that will change some day since these surgeries are getting more advanced all the time. I am still glad I got my laser surgery when I did, I have 20/25 right now. There are worst things than having to wear glasses that is for sure.

Funny how, a few months after I got my “perfect eyes” that I started losing my hearing and now wear hearing aids. Isn’t that weird? I was all happy I was gonna save all this money on contact lens solutions, doctors visits, glasses etc and look at what happened! Life is weird! And hearing aids are 10x’s more expensive than all the contacts and everything. Grrr…It is kind of ironic or something. HAHA! Getting old sure sucks.

KimKat wins the AcidRock “favorite member of the day” award…“you look like a teenager in your photo” FTW!!

how did the surgery go on your eyes.

I am 57 and I have to deal with the same stuff as what is on your list. . I am a seamstress, and I make quilts—hands are not working like they used to. Being old isnt all its cracked up to be. In this economy you have to be able to let go of everything to be willing to live in a medicare or VA nursing home . This disease is killing me in more ways , some ways I doubt , you have thought about. Menopause and hot flashes with BS at 100. Here is what the MSW said (master social worker) and she said that I needed to contact the Diabetes Association and the VA to get help making the precise arrangements for financial payments that I will need to live and be old . I am already usually in a walker or wheechair. Knowing that I need to get Long Term Care Insurance, and VA takes care of the hospital. and these days I need probably soon a traveling nurse, so there is another Long Term Care Traveling Nurse expense.then the atty gets the paperwork together in case I was to miss a payment, there is enough there to ppay stuff. Its killing me knowing that I have a “neon sign” of a wheel chair ramp of me here says I am easy mark for an attack.

WORDS: Find friends, keep friends, find a way to take care of medical issues and make sure you have a way to have a place to live. The rest is up to the / God.

I get really scared sometimes too. But I see my way out of it because I realize the people and the things I’m afraid to lose are what makes me so happy. I’d never feel this scared to not grow old if I weren’t surrounded by such amazing family and friends. That’s the cost of love - loss.

Hi Sagwabetes!
I too have had Type 1 for over 32 years and am now getting laser treatments.I am also quite scared but am hoping for the best. I am sorry that you are going through this at age 26 but all I can do is tell you to have hope and know that i and others are thinking of you as you go through this.
Please leave a comment and let me know how you are doing.
Thanks!
Tommie from North Carolina

Surgery was painful but the doctor said I did well. Follow-up in 3 months. I’ve lost some night vision on the edges of my eyes, but that was explained to me beforehand.

Hi Tommie,
Doing ok for now. Struggling with getting used to reduced vision… but ok.