Is anyone else ever really, really scared?

I’ve been scared a number of days since i was diagnosed. in the hospital i was scared, tubes everywhere, not being able to focus on what the doc was telling me. Scared that when they let me go home i wasnt going to do it right, that i wasnt going to be able to handle it on my own. Scared during my first low trying to figure out why i everything just got so difficult. Scared outta my mind first time i tested before dinner and BG was 190, i thought i was gonna die right there. 2 years later i’m still scared, not nearly as bad but its still there. But playing with my neices and nephews and just doing the normal things i’ve always done put me at ease. Its hard and its work, but i refuse to let the fear of what may happen ruin my ability to enjoy time with my friends and family. I do what is needed, and control my diet as well as i can. anything else is beyond my control. Like with everything in life, just gotta do the best with what we are given. I hope all goes well for you and the surgery is a complete success, rememeber to celebrate some afterwards.

All the studies I have seen comparing “low carb” (definition of that varies wildly) and “low fat” diets have been very short term, so I don’t think you can say anything about whether either one of them prevents complications. There isn’t even a clear consensus about things like weight loss or lipid numbers, partly because of the lack of standardization of the definition of terms. So at this point, I think you just need to go with your gut feelings according to your meter, and how you feel. And also taking into account your food preferences. I wish we had more complete information, but we don’t, alas!

This post has been so inspiring to hear from so many who have “been through” tough times with diabetes and have come out with increased hope; and great kind words for the OP,.Sagwabetes, let us know how you are doing… You are in my prayers

God BLess.
Brunetta
type One 42 years

But there ius data that shows good control reduces coimplications. The DCCT study in the 90’s proved this. So use whatever method works for you to get good control and you should be OK. Easier said than done a constant challenge, but nothing worth having is generally easy. So work at it and I highly recommend the CGM and a low GI diet to help control things

Sagwabetes, I am new here but have been a T1 for some 52 years. I am sure lots of others have been a T1 longer then me (like Richard157). We are all scared with this and we can hopefully help you. I did notice your A1C’s are high and it sounds like you are struggling with dynamic ups and downs. Please feel free to contact me and let me know what your meals consist of, how often you test. I didn’t need laser until I had this disease after some 37 years. My eyes are fine. You will grow old for sure…let me know what you’re doing! Ken

When I had to have my first laser treatment for retinopathy, I was pretty sure my world as I knew it was coming to an end. It is terrifying sometimes. Take a deep breath. It really is going to be okay. I brought myself into fairly tight control when the retinopathy happened. There’s an excellent chance that you will see old age – there are members here who have had diabetes for 60 years. Continue to work for your dreams – don’t be scared away from them because you’re a diabetic.

Management is a full-time job. With decent management, you can avoid many of the problems and save your body the burden of the complications. It will get better. It is going to be okay. Don’t let the fear get in your way. I’ve been at this for 34 years now and I’m in pretty good shape – and I didn’t have the best management for much of my “career.” A little attention to your diet and monitoring of your BG levels will go a long way to bringing you peace of mind.

People say it doesn’t get easier, but I have found that it does. With experience and education, you can do very well.

Oh it stunk! And I had the surgery during the spring break of my student teaching…so I had to continue student teaching through much of the recovery time! Double whammy on the anxiety.

Diabetes is a wake up call to life. No one is immortal (though some of us think we are) and we never really examine our lives, when Diabetes comes, it opens our eyes. If we listen, we can learn to cherish, enjoy and appreciate life in an immensely deeper way, just because of the fact that we know it will eventually end. Most people are blind to this until it’s just to late. I now live everyday more and more like if it was my last. Knowing how fleeting this life is I am much more alive. And though it has taken some time, my management is much better.

What is all this being scared business? Is that what is popular now? What the heck, what happened to being optimistic and expecting a good life with having diabetes? I guess if you want to be scared you will be .
I’m past 50 years with type-1 diabetes and while it is not always a pleasure and have my ups and downs on the whole my question is would you sooner have cancer or any of the other terrible diseases? Then you can be scared!
Snap out of it and live!! You can grow old having long time diabetes. I’m now 81 years young! I have my problems, but nothing like the big problems like so many have with other diseases. Possitive thinking will make your body follow a possitive course.

JB or Johnben.

I know how you feel but what I can tell you is that when I was diagnosed in 1961 laser surgery for your eyes was unheard of and there were no treatments available. Of course I would much prefer a cure but in the interim I’ll take what I can get. I’ve had type 1 for 50 years now and it is hard work but I’m still alive and kicking so keep moving forward and you’ll be ok. I hope this gives you a glimmer of hope.
Linda

It is hard to be positive. I have neuropathy in my feet and lower legs. I haven’t felt them in 5 years. I have already had 4 laser surgeries and am expecting more this week. How can I expect a good life when I’m this damaged at 26?

Well I can certainly say I wasn’t expecting such an outpouring of support. But I am glad that I’m getting it… because it’s important to me and anyone else who feels like I do.
For the many who have said “I’m not scared. Who should be scared? That’s bull$*%&.” Well. Please re-read my post. I have endured a lot in 14 years. Read my profile intro. I have had more complications in 14 years than many have had in 50. So please refrain my belittling my concern. That isn’t the encouragement I’m looking for.
Try re-phrasing when talking to someone who is feeling sensitive and unsure… like “You can do it!” or “I made it and you can too.” But please. No telling me it’s bull to worry. Because for me, it’s not.

I agree w/ at least a heightened level of concern. I’m 43 and hope that strained reading is just b/c I’m old, not b/c I’m going blind but the whole waiting for the “all clear” from the eye doctor is pins and needles. Being blind would be very challenging. Although my friend Beth Finke wrote a highly entertaining and suprisingly lighthearted book called “Long Time No See” about losing her vision (among other things…) but, at the same time, we’d go out w/ our posse and shoot up and drink beers so it wasn’t the end of the world for her but, nonetheless. I probably think about it several times most days.

People have lots of ways of coping. Some people cope by being brutally honest and up-front about their fears. It makes them feel better to talk about things in a very raw, real way. I am one of those people.

Other people cope by pushing down their fears. They have very strong self-talk, and they speak the same way to others: “Don’t be a wimp! Others have it much worse! Don’t be a baby! Suck it up! You’ll be fine! Power through this and move on!” Not my style, for the most part, but it works for them.

I think you’ll encounter lots of different coping styles on this forum. I encourage you to take what is useful to you and ignore the rest. Don’t take it personally if someone has a very, very different coping style than your own. They’re just doing what they need to do to get through their day. I wish everyone could be compassionate all the time (looking in a mirror here, too) but we are imperfect humans after all.

When my brother was diagnosed with terminal kidney cancer, my uncle got very angry at my sisters and I for crying and lamenting before my brother died. My uncle wanted to believe that a miracle was just around the corner and he berated us for “giving up” on my brother. The three of us knew in our bones that when a man has cancer in his kidneys, liver, spine, lungs and brain, that there’s not much point in pretending that he’s going to get well. We were ready to face our worst fears and accept that my brother was dying. My uncle was not. Different coping styles. We all did everything to love, care for and support my brother – my uncle came to see him in the hospital and, eventually, in hospice, every day. But until my brother died, I never saw my uncle cry one tear. Different coping styles.

That said, I honestly have hope for you and for your future. There is plenty of new research, new medications, new treatments – logical, fact-based reasons to have hope. If you can just maintain excellent control and take care of complications as best you can NOW, there’s no telling what will be available to you in the future. It’s not unreasonable to be concerned; it’s also not unreasonable to have hope.

I am actually jealous. Do to having a disorder that causes my corneas to be coned shaped and to suffer from thinning, I wonder if I could even get any sort of surgery. I have accepted short of a transplant I will end up blind, now being diabetic just means it may be that much quicker.

You have no choice if you want to live but to focus all your energies on beating the disease. Use CGM to help understand the highs and lows. Find a caring endo (easier said than domne) if you need help understanding the data.
And care. Care with all your heart. Dont gice up. It can get better, it will get better - if you work to make it so!!!
. 35 years ago I lost my sister at the age of 27 to diabetes but she had nothing but clinatest to help her manage the disease. Remember that you are different and different is OK. You cant ignore the disease. I tried for a while and it does not work. But if you get your arms around it - life gets better. Neuropathy is reversable with good control.

So grab that brass ring and hang on. You can beat this if you make it your goal and focus on it. If you wish it away and ignore it, u might as well go buy your gravesite.

Keep worrying - and keep workin to beet this damn disease - and stop and pause for a hug once in a while!!!
((((Sagawabetes)))) Just dont worry too much cause it can get you down. So roll up your sleved. CVommit to being better than this damn disease and you will do fine. fine is not perfect - we cant expect perfect God Bless and Good Luck!

I don’t have diabetes but my 11 year old daughter does, she isn’t scared, but I am. All the time. She knows it’s a disease she will have forever, she knows the risks of not taking care of yourself but when I asked her if she was ever scared, she said no. Frustrated, yes, scared no. I am trying to teach her good habits now so she won’t have problems when she is older but from some of the comments I’ve read it sounds like regardless of the kinda of control she may have she could still have complications. I don’t want to tell her that, but should I? It scares the crap out of me, and honestly I don’t want to scare her, but I also want her to be informed. I wouldn’t ever tell you to no be scared or “buck up” because this disease sucks and no one should have to go through this. Just remember that you’re allowed to feel the way you feel and you just have to keep moving forward.

Personally, I don’t see the point in telling her about complications in gory details at her age. As long as you answer her questions honestly and make sure her BG’s are in good shape, she’ll find out what she needs to know as she’s ready.

It’s like the whole “stranger danger” thing. You want your kids to be well-enough informed to know to avoid creepy strangers, shout “no”, run away, tell a trusted adult, etc. But they don’t need to know the gory details!

Innocence is so fleeting; why not let her enjoy her innocence as long as it’s not hurting her or putting her in danger?

I know how hard it is to be positive. I struggle with it all the time. But the fact is that you’ll go when you go, and no one can predict or prevent that. So what’s left? TODAY you are alive. You have your brain and it’s functional. So you have the choice of being depressed, sad, doing nothing, stewing in your own juices, or finding something meaningful and fun to do. TODAY. You can plan for the future, but really there is nothing but TODAY. No one knows what is going to happen tomorrow.

As far as disabilities, yes, they are extremely frightening. And I’m sure you’re experiencing a lot of anxiety about your eyes, and about whether you’ll keep your feet. But again, all you can do is your best, and cope with whatever happens. There are no guarantees, but attitude is everything. Although I hope you will never become disabled, you should know that the vast majority of disabled people learn to cope and are glad to be alive. And they find ways to make something of their lives.

If the sadness is getting unbearable, you might consider seeing a psychologist. S/he can help you work through your feelings – it really helps just to be able to talk about them with someone who is trained to listen and offer helpful comments. I go to a psychologist, and have for 3 years – it helps me a lot, even though I am by no means perfectly at peace with my feelings. I have recurrent feelings of rebellion against my diabetes, and last year, I binged on carbs, and omitted insulin at times, and as a result, drove myself into a coma – I almost died. So one of the things I’m working on is accepting that no matter what else is going on, caring for my diabetes is top priority. Not that I WANT to, mind you, but that I HAVE to.

Your feelings, of course, are different from mine, and you need to work them out. I hope you get help, because I am seriously concerned about you. Being that sad is no way to live your life, and you DO have a life – you just need to remember to LIVE it!