Is it all super stressful? Or was it easy going?

I wasn’t sure what to title this, but my question to all of you T1D’s who have had successful pregnancies, was it all as stressful as doctors and medical articles say it will be for us T1Ds? Or was it more low key and just normal T1D life but pregnant?

I ask because while I know a T1D pregnancy isn’t like a normal pregnancy because of increased risks and doc visits, I feel like once I start trying for a baby I don’t want to be focusing on all of the stress around it from docs, etc. Of course, I don’t know how it will be or what docs will say because I haven’t spoken to anyone about TTC yet.

I’ve always had a pretty good hang on my control. I’m on MDI, diagnosed 8 yrs ago, and all of my A1C’s have been below 7, mostly around 6. My last one 3 weeks ago was 5.6. I feel like from the get-go I was in tune with my body and determined to stay as healthy as possible. I test 8-10 times a day on a normal day, or more if I’m sick or hormonal. I find that the more I stress out about my numbers, the harder a time I have controlling my BS, so I go with the flow, correct when I need to and move on.

I guess I’m spouting about all of this because I want to know what pregnancy and the experience around planning, etc is really like, and what it was like for you. I really want to focus on the good, and the fact that as a well-controlled T1D I really shouldn’t have any higher risks than a non-diabetic (from what I’ve read). I guess I just want to go into it all with a more positive mindset and be prepared for any negative that might come from doctors. I want to be able to, at the end of the day, trust my gut and my own control over what doctors want from me because I know some are unrealistic. I want to be able to push through any of the bad vibes so I can truly focus on my health and baby’s health.

So feel free to share your experiences, good and bad, I’d love to get a feel for what really happens!

1 Like

Hey there - it depends on the provider you choose. What you want is a supportive provider who will make you feel at ease. It’s one thing to ensure you are informed on the risks and on how to best take care of yourself. It’s another one entirely for a provider to use scare tactics, pressure you into interventions you aren’t comfortable with, or otherwise increase your stress levels. If you are at uncomfortable with your provider and their wishes for your pregnancy and birth, PLEASE do yourself a favor and seek out another provider. If you have good control as you do, there is no need for them to treat you this way, but some providers might. I switched providers just after my mid-pregnancy anatomy scan and it was the best thing I ever did. I also practiced meditation and use positive affirmations during my pregnancy. Anyway, it is what you make of it. If you engage with stressed people who have had bad experiences, you read about bad experiences, or choose a bad provider, you will likely experience stress. But if you choose to read positive stories, connect with women who have had positive experiences and find a provider who aligns with your beliefs, it will be great. “High risk” pregnancies are beautiful, too. My pregnancy and birth were amazing. Do your due diligence with reasonable care but try not to go down the rabbit holes of “what ifs” that are pretty unlikely. Enjoy your time getting ready to be a mommy. <3

4 Likes

Thank you so much!! I’m so glad to hear you had a positive experience :slight_smile: I guess that’s why I made this thread, to hear more positive stories, but also be aware of what to look out for. I’m reading a lot day to day and trying to keep a positive mind set. I know for sure, that stress won’t help me in any way, so I agree that it will be what I make of it!

This is something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately as I consider a second pregnancy. I feel like how stressful pregnancy will be will depend a lot on your personality and how you currently manage the highs emotionally. For instance, I am very hard on myself and get upset when my blood sugar is high, especially if I wasn’t expecting it. Despite having an a1c in the upper 5s and a decent time in range, I still tend to get upset and stressed when I am high. I worry a lot about getting pregnant again because I know this feeling is only going to be compounded and I don’t think I’m going to handle it well. I feel like it’s just going to be 9 months of stress for me and I don’t know if I’m prepared for that.

I was diagnosed with T1D during my first pregnancy, and thankfully I experienced minimal negativity from my doctors. I think they all realized that I had absolutely no experience with diabetes and I had no idea what I was doing and I was just trying my best. I’m sure it mostly depends on the doctor, but I think some doctors will be more negative and harder on patients they feel aren’t trying to manage their diabetes well (not that I think this is right). My doctors definitely discussed the risks with me, but I never felt like it was all doom and gloom and they never made me feel bad or like it was my fault for having less than ideal numbers.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear you are down on yourself for highs! I personally used to be that way, but got out of the habit because it was exhausting me. Actually, this site and forums helped me a ton in that! I know regardless, highs are going to happen, and even in non-diabetics sugar fluctuations happen as well. I’ve learned to just correct when I’m high and move on, and know that I am doing my best. I’m glad to hear that doctors were nice to you and supportive! I’m hoping the same is for me, as I do really like my PCP and I’m hoping she leads me to the way of other doctors who are like her when the time comes, that I need to see an OB, etc.

I can’t say that my mind set won’t change if I ever do become pregnant, but I know my body and stress, and that it never helps my BG management. I am a very anxious person in general though, so I guess I’m just trying to train my brain beforehand to be more positive.