Is it harmful to use insulin to compensate for high carb meals?

That is good to know, thanks… Now how do I get an 11 year old diabetic to forgo the mac and cheese and go with the grilled chicken and steamed veggies? :slight_smile:

lol, good one! Sometimes, when I want pasta, I mix in a lot of veggies, and chicken (as the majority of the meal), and then a small amount of pasta. It tends to have less carbs per serving, then… maybe she might like that? I dunno. lol

Thanks I will. We did find a low net carb pasta (only 5 carbs per serving) and she likes it. However, it isn’t Kraft. :slight_smile:

Also, the carbs in pasta develop resistant starch when it’s left to cool in the fridge for more than 12 hours (a type of carb, that behaves like fiber, but that the body cannot digest)… you might find she spikes less the next day (as leftovers)… as this reduces the glucose load from the pasta. This is the same for hugely starchy foods, like pasta, rice, and potatoes…

I am a high gram carb eater. Not nearly what I would be If I weren’t diabetic non the less I do a lot of shooting and eating. The whole point of a pump or MDI is the to be able to have more flexibility with our diets and still maintain some decent control. You only live once so I say eat what you want and adjust accordingly. Surprisingly I’ve kept my weight in line. I am 5"8 and roughly 165 Lb.

so you wanna chow down without boundaries, and just compensate with insulin to take care of all those extra carbs? Go ahead, just don’t be surprised when the you step on the scale and see a bigger number than last time. What about all the calories that are in the meal too? You’ll never gain control as long as you don’t use control with what you eat. As far as hardening of the arteries due to insulin, i’m not sure. I recently learned that when you have too much glucose in your blood, the glucose actually scrapes the arterial walls, then when they heal it causes hardening. Need to do more research on that.

well… i think if we compare ourself to a healthy person then it all makes sense. There bodies and ours work hard when we eat “unhealthy food” Each person is different though. When i tried to get my sugars under control, i continued eating my fast food lifestyle. I don’t know if it was the food, or getting used to normal sugars, but i felt tired and half sick sometimes. Maybe to much insulin, like food, is hard on the body no matter how you put it.

Ursela,

Can you please share the brand that you use, that has the 5 carb per serving?? I find it difficult to find those kinds of pastas. Even with the healthier brands like “Dreamfeilds” that still have a minimum of 30 carbs per serving… Here in NYC Thanks…

I think it’s Dreamfields… that’s what they say on their box.

I guess I have to start looking again. Unless they push NET carbs maybe? Hmmm.

Yeah, I think it’s net carbs.

If your sugars have always been high all the time, it IS an adjustment getting used to your new sugar levels. I remember a time when I was getting anxiety attacks because of it… LOL. One thing that really helped my sugars is when I started eating vegan food. I’m not gonna sit here and say i’m cured!! but it has made a difference in the way that I feel and my numbers…

Doctors do recommend a diet high in fiber and Omega 3’s for anxiety/mania/depression…

for some reason if i don’t have protein i won’t stay full long, then again veggies are a big part of my diet yet

I learned the hard way that, too many of us diabetics solely focus on carbs. Yes carbs are more important in the immediate sense. But as a whole (long term) we have to look at EVERYTHING on that label!! Insulin does NOT cause harden the arteries. if that was the case, Type 1’s would not live very long don’t you think? I think it is an assumed “MYTH”, by the very same people who think they can eat what ever they want, then inject insulin, and never take in to account the amount of FAT that is contained in that bucket of fried chicken LOL… Even things that are good for you like fish can contain lots of cholesterol & mercury!!

What do you mean? I’ve never heard of protein making you feel full longer. However, I have heard of people having a fast digestion and slow digestion.

It is Dreamfields and only 5 carbs are digestible. My daughter’s blood sugar is completely normal within 2 hours after eating it. That doesn’t happen with the other brands of pasta.

The fast digestion, and the slow digestion are what lead to the fullness factor. Meats and cheeses seem to take longer to digest, and when a meal is not just one particular food group (but has some carbs, some protein, and some fats), the meal will be more filling than if we just had one food group on it’s own… Now, that’s not to say vegans or vegetarians don’t have as much fullness – they just get protein from other foods groups, which are not meat or dairy (necessarily). I do suspect – and I may be wrong, I don’t know – that protein derived from meat and dairy takes longer to digest than that derived from beans, asparagus, or tofu, etc. It would probably just mean having to have more meals in the day, etc. I don’t know.

honestly i just love cows :slight_smile:

Domo…you are one in a million! Love you.