Is it possible to have a successful life with diabetes?

It all depends on how you look at it.

A glass half empty or a glass half full. You can stay in your room and feel sorry for yourself or you can take back your life, deal with any issues you have and be happy.

The why doesn’t matter, stop dwelling on it, that’s not going to help you, it’s how you deal and move forward, make yourself happy with everything you can still do. You are blessed that you can just about do whatever you want. Except maybe an astronaut, but did you really want to be one anyways?

It’s up to you to make yourself happy. Focus on the good stuff.

3 Likes

Don’t let diabetes stop you from doing the things you like to do. I was diagnosed with LADA at age 40. I am 59 and continue to do triathlons and bike almost every day. It takes some focus to figure out how to maintain your BG level, but once you do, it’s a matter of sticking with it.

1 Like

I didn’t catch your age but no matter.
I was diagnosed at age 14 and am now 63. I have had what I would consider a successful life. I didn’t go to college until I was about 30 but I had a good job working in a machine shop and later ran a nursery in south Florida. After hurricane Andrew destroyed that, I went to nursing school, worked as an ICU nurse for 10 years and then got my masters degree in nurse anesthesia. I’ve been doing that for the last 17 years and am beginning to think about retiring in a few more. I’ve been married a few times - happily, have a nice house, two dogs and a couple of stereo systems I’ve built from scratch.
I have one cardiac stent, some background retinopathy and am getting my second cataract done on Monday.
All in all a pretty decent life I feel

4 Likes

Absolutely! I do everything I did before developing diabetes. I just bike rode across Missouri with my son this summer, camping along the way. I’m an Omnipod user and pump changes were easy along the way. The two biggest changes are not being able to eat without thinking about it which turns out to be good for healthier eating and stable weight, plus you have to learn about temp nasals and eating times when exercising. Nobody knows I am diabetic unless I tell tell them.

1 Like

I can do everything now that I could do before. Except that now I’m older and a little slower. But you can’t slow down.
I’m a back packer and hiker. I just have to be better prepared. I mean back packing is all about being prepared and for seeing issues anyway, so diabetes fits into that thought process.
I never hike alone anymore and I always bring back ups.
I’ve been luck in that I don’t really have any complications so my life is pretty easy. And I’m used to it now.
If I was cured I might not know what to do with myself.

1 Like

Yes. You can have a successful, wonderful, fulfilling life with diabetes. It’s really up to the individual. Don’t let diabetes kill your joy.

1 Like