Is there such a thing as a 'HOLIDAY' FOR Type 2s

Do Type 2s dream of a diabetic holiday ?
Do you ever feel you deserve a break from the discipline from eating, exercise and monitoring?
So do you ever ‘take a break’, and knowingly slip back a little?
If you do, how do you feel about it later? OK because you planned for it? Or guilty?
How do you cope with this mind game??

What I do is constantly look for ways to enjoy some of the things I already love to eat, and like, so I don’t feel deprived (because when I do, I will not just take a little holiday, but will binge out of control) and because of this, I don’t… For instance, Sarah Lee has these wheat buns which only have 8 g of net carbs for each bun! Each bun has a glycemic load of only 4! I had two burgers last night. hehe :slight_smile: And my postprandial BG after an hour was 122. :slight_smile: Was awesome.

Now I am considering perhaps using chickpea flour to make a crispy crust pizza, at home, since that style of pizza crust has the least carbs and glycemic load… Consider, if I were to eat a whole cup of just straight, uncooked, all purpose flower, it has a glycemic load of 66… while 1 cup of whole wheat flour is 44; but a 1 cup of chick pea flower is 27. And 1 cup of flour when cooking and baking goes a long, long way.

So, while that stuff usually makes me spike … I’m not afraid to experiment all alternatives. lol When I do knowingly eat something that makes me spike, or have a little too much of something… The best I can do is think “the rest of today is still a new chance, as is every moment, and tomorrow is another day.” No sense in punishing oneself. Enjoying an item or two every once in a while or once a year is not going to kill me… and I can always go back the next day. :slight_smile: Got a long life to do it all right. Gotta enjoy the roses, every once in a while.

Just on holidays for me. I dont feel guilty then, but I do watch it so I dont go overboard with what I eat. Makes the holiday a little more special.

I take a holiday from testing once in awhile. It seems like all I do is stick myself – stick fingers 3-4 times a day and insulin 4 sticks a day. If I’m having good numbers I take a day off from testing and give my fingers a break. Sometimes they are so bruised and tired of this.

I’m not very comfortable taking a break from diet because I get sick if I don’t watch my carbs and amounts. If I don’t measure and follow to the letter I feel too sluggish and gross. With my additional fun of gastroparesis I don’t want to push that button and end up nauseated and throwing up.

I think most of us take mental health days - human nature. If only I could take a WEEK off, now that’s a vacation.

It is somewhat disturbed timing for you to ask this today. I am diagnosed a t2, but suspect I may actually not be a t2. Last summer after my medication was changed, I experienced a honeymoon. My blood sugar returned to normal and I went into remission, at one point being able to eat a Chipoltle burrito with 90 g of carbs and returning to a normal fasting at 2 hrs. This is quite strange having struggled with my blood sugars, followed Bernstein’s diet and generally not being able to eat more than 10-15 g of carbs and still be within 140 mg/dl 2hrs postprandial. Unfortunately, the honeymoon lasted 3 weeks and by the time I truly recognized what was happening it was over. A month later, I had another honeymoon and had another week and a half of remission. That was last august, since then my blood sugars reverted to their typically mediocre status and I’ve continued to struggle.

But on monday, I had an endo appointment and had Actos added to my cocktail of drugs and whammo. This morning, my fasting blood sugar was 100 mg/dl. I’ve not seen it that low since my last honeymoon. I know what that means.

This morning, I got out the box of bisquick and started planning to make myself a whole batch of chocolate chip pancakes with real maple syrup. By my estimate, 150g carbs for the pancakes, another 50g in carbs for the chips and another 100 g for the syrup. I actually had the bowl out and was almost reaching for the measuring cup. But then I put it away. I’m a diabetic. I’d be a fool to think that I could binge on carbs and not suffer for it even if my blood sugars were ok. I know in my heart, that I’ll wake up in the morning and still be diabetic, maybe not tomorrow, but in a few days and I might have to spend weeks getting my diet back in order. It is one thing to have a controlled treat and another to have a binge.

In the end, I just had a typical breakfast, half a dozen eggs, bacon and a high fiber english muffin. Maybe I’ll treat myself with some mashed potatoes or similar tonight for dinner. It will be a treat, a thoughful and planned one, but it won’t be a carb fest. I am really one sad guy.

Brian,

Here’s a low carb pancake recipe that’s great. At 1 carb per pancake, you can binge out & feel fine.

You also grate veggies (squeeze out the water) & add to the pancake batter to make veggie pancakes. Omit sweetener if used for vegetable pancakes.

1 cup almond meal (or golden flaxseed meal, or a combo of both)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBS sweetener (optional–I don’t it’s needed. I use a tiny bit of no calorie, no carb stevia powder)

Mix together & cook.

Makes six, 4’’ pancakes.
Each has 1 gram carbs, 2 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, 155 calories total.

Just a question, as I’ve never been on meds… do you think having more carbs than usual during a honeymoon period puts stress on your body that makes it end the honeymoon period sooner?

Yes, I think it does. The more insulin the pancreas is forced to produce to keep BG stable, the more it taxing it is. With early diagnosed T1 & LADA, some people have been able to extend their honeymoon by keeping carbs low to prevent further beta cell burnout. With T2, I’d think it would be same regarding insulin resistance & having beta cells in overdrive.

I think I’m gonna try that out, Gerri! Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Hope you like them. Breakfast is a challenge for me because I have dawn phenonmenon. I have to eat super low carb for breakfast & get tired of eggs every day.

Caveat–If you use stevia, check the label. Some have dextrose & other bulking agents added to make it the equivalent of using sugar (so does powdered Splenda) since it’s intensely sweet. I found stevia with zero carbs that has fiber added instead.

Here’s another.

FAUX FRENCH TOAST

1 egg
2 TBS ricotta cheese – + maybe a little more.
1 tsp vanilla
1 dash cinnamon
1 dash nutmeg
2 tsp Splenda (use liquid Splenda or no carb stevia powder because powdered Splend has carbs)
1 dash salt
1 TBS almond flour

Mix all together and pour into a heated well greased small 5 to 7 inch frying pan. COVER pan. Cook for a few minutes on med heat and when set, flip, cover & cook on other side. Use a small frying pan or it will spread too much & be too thin.

Oops, Forgot to list the carb count for the French toast. It’s 2.5 carbs. More cinnamon sprinkled on top is good.

Lizmari, you may want to try a low carb tortilla shell for the pizza, it works for me and my wife, who can make a low carb version of almost anything, just couldn’t get the taste and low impact together on a pizza crust. Also watch the tomato sauce, almost all add either sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Mariana sauce appears to be the lowest commercial sauce, but we can our own for the most part.

Yeah, I’ve used tortilla shells to make them before. I like Hunt’s tomato sauce, as they have a sugar free kind… (they come in cans, and is pretty cheap, too). I think I’m gonna still try, though… :slight_smile: Will let ya know when I do it, and if it works.

Haven’t used a tortilla shell before but my wife and I use sandwich wraps - the Italian herb kind works the best for pizza. They are relatively inexpensive and bake up really fast. We like the brand they sell at Shoppers.
Peace+
Tim

I’ll post the flaxseed crust if anyone’s interested. I haven’t made it since I found this one that tastes more like real pizza. My husband loves & I’ve made it for non-D friends. Gave it to several TuD members & they liked it.

DEEP DISH PIZZA

4 oz softened cream cheese
4 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
1 tbs dried chives
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cups shredded cheese (I use mozzarella/cheddar mix)
1 tsp or more granulated garlic (the more garlic, the better!)
1/2 cup lowest carb marinara sauce (I use more sauce)
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded or grated
Toppings to taste

Preheat oven to 375.
Beat together cream cheese and eggs till smooth (I use a blender).
Add cream, parmesean cheese and spices.
Oil a 13x9 baking dish lightly with olive oil.
Put 2 cups of shredded cheese in dish and pour egg mixture over.
Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes (that’s the crust)
Remove from oven.
Spread with sauce and then add your toppings.
Cover with mozzarella cheese.
Bake till browning and bubbly.
Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

Carb count depends on how much & brand of marinara sauce & toppings.

Enjoy!

Gerri,

Thanks for the suggestion that looks like a good recipe. I also have a carbquick recipe as well another which I like based on riccota. I actually still have real maple syrup in the pantry, but these days we don’t use it much as you can imagine. Part of this thread is just the intellectual challenge. As it turns out, my presumed honeymoon is still not real. I “treated” myself to a cup of brown rice for last night dinner and although I handled it better than usual, I was not on target and two hours. A binge such as I outlined would have had been just bad news.

Nothing like real maple syrup–yum.

Hope you enjoy the recipe. I tried Carbquick & didn’t like it. Had a terrible aftertaste to me.

I can’t even look at rice, or any grains.

Yes bsc, this is the way I try to do it too. When I get a longing, a need for a “vacation,” I will have a controlled treat, as you put it, and then back on the wagon. I probably enjoy that more than a real binge anyway, as I can mindfully enjoy each bit, you know?

That is very similar to my recipe for ricotta cheese pancakes (based on cheese latkes)

Ricotta Cheese pancakes

1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
4 eggs
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
4 tablespoons splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter for frying

Place everything (except frying butter) in a food processor a mix until very smooth.

The fry as you would pancakes, but cook them slowly as they have a tendency to scorch, perhap as much as 5 minutes, lightly browning on each side. These actually keep well, better than regular pancakes and can be readily refrigerated and reheated.

Makes about 30 pancakes. With the flour, about 2 g carbs per pancake. Substitute the flour with almond meal or similar and these are under 1g carbs per pancake.

Do I deserve a break from all of this, you bet. But I also deserve to have two good legs, feet and hands. I deserve to have eyesight that is as close to 20.20 as I can get. I’ve taken breaks, some long some short, and I always wind up paying a higher price for the break than it was worth. My last break was from October 13 - November 27 — and I gained 9 lbs, and my sugars were in the 200’s. Not worth the work it took to get back under control. I am like another poster stated, I will plan a mini-break, give myself a treat and plan to exercise more, or eat lighter, and drink more fluids. It’s part of the game, there are no time outs…to being healthy.