Itchy feeling right where the sensor is

I’m discovering that after almost a week the area where the sensor is really itches to the point where I have to take it off. Any suggestions where I can relieve that feeling and actually use the sensor for the full 7 days?

make sure you get it wet when you take a shower and such it actually keeps it from itching for me anyway… i think if you dont it gets dry which causes it to wanna itch

it also happens when I get it wet. It relieves it for a while but then itches again

I have an allergy to adhesive. I use BARD to protect the skin underneath and don’t have any problems.

where can I get BARD?? I really like the dexcom but I get too itchy and I have to take it off for a few days then go back to it. I’ll try anything that wont give me the itchys so I can enjoy it till day 7.

I get mine online, but before ordering in bulk I’d get some from a local drugstore. If you’ve used IV Prep, this is a similar product. If your drugstore doesn’t have it, they can probably order some…

Official name: Bard Protective Barrier Film

Sorry to hear you are having this issue Amy. To this point I have not run into the “itchy” problem with my Dexcom sensors. I usually wipe the area with alcohol and have not run into any itching problems yet. Maybe just like daricel mentioned in that you might be allergic to the adhesive.

I would try her suggestion and if that doesn’t work, then maybe follow up with Dexcom (1-888-738-3646 or TechSupport@dexcom.com/CustomerService@dexcom.com) and see if they have any other ideas or tips on this issue for you.

Let us know how you make out.

my IV prep has been recalled. I am waiting to hear from animas as that is where I got it from in what to do with it and how I can get a replacement.

Thanks…Its just where the sensor is inserted. and boy does it drive me crazy. As I said, I’ll try something new just so I can get the 7 days out of it instead of 5 or 6.

Hello Amy. My skin starts to itch when I wear the Dexcom sensor as well. I’ve had the best luck avoiding this irritation by following these steps:

1. I use Smith & Nephew Skin Prep wipes before sticking on the sensor. I actually wipe on a fairly wide area, let that area dry, and then wipe on some more. There’s usually enough moisture in one wipe to get at least a couple swipes out of it.

2. Attach the sensor over that same area.

3. Stick Glad Press’n Seal wrap over my sensor before taking showers. This works pretty well if you shave the area where you attach the sensor. I usually use a square that’s about 6x6 inches, although any amount that will help keep the water out should work.

If I’m lucky, I’ll get a couple of weeks out of one sensor. The summer will be more of a test due to sweat, but this method has worked well for me. There are many online sources for the Skin Prep, and you can often find deals with the price comparison web sites (like nextag or pricegrabber). Best of luck!

I stoped using IV prep …I use nothing on my skin and I have not had itch since.

My daughters starts iching around day 5, and usually it is because the sensor is begining to slip, so at that point we secure it with additional adhesive, and that seems to take care of the problem. She can usually get 12 days out of a sensor now.

I use Skin-Prep, swab the area and let it dry, before inserting the sensor into my skin. I had itching at first, but with Skin Prep there has never been a problem. I buy this product at my drugstore.

Amy,

I run to the same issue specially after working out but have minimzed it by doing the following. I use aloe cream in those areas that I put either my pump or dexcom sensor before and after used. I use skin prep for the dexcom and it has stopped. Good luck…

thanks guys…I’m gonna try some of the suggestions. Maybe i’ll put tape around it for extra measures and to keep the sensor from slipping and see what else I can do it relieve the itching. it drives me crazy that I can’t get it to last without wanting to take it out.

You can try using Hydorcortisone spray (not the lotion) on the area before you put on the sensor. Make sure it’s dry before you put on Dex. Walgreens carries it.

“I.V. Prep” does very little to prevent itching. It’s manufacturer, “Smith and Nephew”, makes a different product for exactly this purpose. It’s called “Skin-Prep”. Skin-Prep is a barrier product for the attachment of multi-day appliances, and it works in both directions: Your skin gets protected from the pad chemicals, and sweat which would build up if the barrier layer didn’t prevent sweat from getting through to the surface. At the same time, it protects the adhesive from your sweat, helping the Sensor pad to stick much longer before coming loose along the edges.

Without using Skin-Prep underneath the Sensor, I start growing nasty blisters in 2-3 days. For me, it’s mandatory. But there’s a special trick you should use in the application: It MUST be completely dry before you push the pad into it.

Use a hairdryer on low. Have it running, held in your “other” hand but tilted away from your target area, before you wipe the Skin-Prep pad over your target area. Immediately after wiping, before gravity makes the very runny fluid flow down from the top of your target area, turn the hair dryer into the target area from below – tilted slightly upwards, and several inches away.

This helps to dry away the alcohol quickly, prevent gravity from distorting the thickness of the layer, and save time. If your hair dryer runs hot, tilt away for a few moments and then bring it back. Continue until it appears to have a shiny, crackled look. Then set your Sensor pad down, press it in gently (but not so hard as to stretch the fabric), and do the insert.

markymarc’s alcohol suggestion (march 25 at 1:52 pm) won’t help. You need a barrier wipe, not mere alcohol. As you see from comments, lots of 14-day users are having great success with this particular product (me, Scott K, Richard157 … and many others.) Scott’s post is really good, he’s suggesting that you add something else ON TOP to keep the pad dry during showers. I agree, strongly, although I use way-better-but-MUCH-MORE-COSTLY “FlexiFix” over the Sensor pad (instead of Press’N Seal kitchen wrap.)

WRT some other comments: When you remove the Sensor, it’s probably a good idea to treat that Sensor area with a recovery cream several times over a few days. (Hydrocortisone ointment, hand cream, udder cream, etc.) I use udder cream. It’s cheap, and it works great, but it smells really bad. I don’t recommend any kind of skin treatment (hand cream or anti-IR spray treatment) on the skin before putting down the Sensor pad – with this chemical barrier film in place, the stuff they contain can’t evaporate or slough off in the way it would under normal use. And so, a lot more of “it” gets absorbed INTO you body, and that idea makes me nervous.

Skin-Prep, by itself, prevents a lot adhesive failures. If you will use extra tape to stop the edges from “flipping up”, be SURE to wipe Skin-Prep over a big enough area to protect under the Dexcom pad and the surrounding tape.

If you’re extremely sensitive to Dexcom’s pad, you might also be sensitive to most “drugstore” adhesive tapes too. I use FlexiFix. A roll of 4" wide FlexiFix costs $40-50, but it’s over 30 feet long, so it costs less than 50 cents per Sensor. For me, it never fails.

Ira,

That is good advice about the aloe cream for your Dexcom and Pump spots. Now let me ask this though, do you run into any problems with the Dexcom sensor or Pump adhesive not being as sticky with the aloe cream?

I have very dry skin especially in the winter. I use the aloe cream daily and the only side effect comes from the dexcom adhesive. Occasionally I have to change it before the 7 days otherwise it works for me. Ensure if you try it that you throughly clean the area before you put the adhesive for the pump or dexcom. Good Luck