Okay so it's been about 2.5 months since diagnosis of type. I'm honeymooning, so I'm told. I take 5U of lantus at night and that's all. My BG's are doing really good. In the past week, 1 reading over 150, 1 reading below 80. I've put some of the weight back on that I lost before finally deciding going to the hospital - DKA and a fasting of 550! So here are some questions that I'd like some advice on.
1. My dietician has me on a diet of 270 carbs/day. It's a 2500 calorie diet. And if I exrcise I need to take more to avoid a low. I know that many people swear by the no/low carb diet. Are there people who are on such a HIGH carb diet?
2. I know I'm not supposed to miss meals. I totally understand why. But, I'm a junior in college, I want to sleep in on the weekends, am I allowed to?
3. Anyone start pumping with insulin as low as I'm on currently? I have one, along with a CGM sitting right next to my desk. My endo and the pump rep just can't set a date to meet.
4. 5U of lantus is not a lot, I'm well aware of that. With a 270carb/day diet and only 5U of lantus, could it be a misdiagnosis? I know about the honeymoon and all, and I shouldn't get to thinking like this, but could it be?
5. I take my lantus at 11:00pm and usually have a BG 135-150 and wake up at 80-110. (I eat a 30c snack at 9:30). Should I eat a snack if I'm at 98? My biggest fear is that I'm going to get a hypo in my sleep. If I'm this low at bed I'll eat a snack of 15-30g carbs. So far this has worked but do I need to do this?
Basically I'm just looking for people who have been where I am now. I'm still having a hard time accepting my new lifestyle. I want to get back to being the "old me." I've become kind of a regimented person lately, which I know is good, but I want to be back to my old, much more spontaneous and flexible me.
Thanks everyone for the help! :)