I've made up my mind

I’ve tried the Levemir…and I hate it. Its been a few weeks and its NOT getting better at all. I’ve increased what Im taking of Levemir…I’ve changed my I/C ratio and NOTHING is making this stabalize. I go from 200’s to 50’s. There goes MY improving A1C. I wont qualify for a pump I dont think until January but in the meantime Im not jacking around with this Levemir $hit. I have my prescription on file at my pharmacy for Lantus still, and Im just going to pay the outrageous retail price for it until I can get my pump. I was having really good results with Lantus, was staying pretty consistent with my target range, and my I/C ratio was working great and requiring very litttle if any correction at all. I really wish I had never heard of Levemir.

Hi Christy: Are you only using long-acting insulin? It’s hard to get good results without using a fast acting insulin such as Novolog. When are you scheduled to get a pump? I am sorry things have been so frustrating for you.

Im also using Humalog too…just Levemir is screwing up ALL my numbers. I’ve tweaked both insulins and its just all over the place. It looks like I can in January. I pulled up the benefits for my Insurance plan and ONE of the requirements I wont meet until January. Most of it is my own fault, I’ve been stubborn as hell for several years and not keeping on top of things as good as I SHOULD have been, so now Im playing catch up so to speak. That and I’ve kinda been off and on about going to a pump over the years, but I have such bad hypoglycemic unawareness now…that I really do think going on a pump would be the best bet, esp with CGM. I just cannot do large doses of Lantus or Levemir…too much and I start dropping like crazy, but splitting the Lantus when I was trying that one to 16 units in the AM and no more than 18 in the PM really kept me pretty stable, with not as many dips. Now…I’ve went to being 77 at lunch…no prob there. I bolused for the carbs I ate,…2 hours later Im down to 58…popped 3 glucose tablets and an hour later I was only back to 68…took me forever before I came up high enough to take my evening Levemir…NOW at midnight Im 212. Im like no thats too high, so I corrected for it, NOW Im probably going to be REALLY low in the AM.

I hate paying retail for Lantus God knows its NOT cheap, but Im not willing to play around waiting God knows how long for my insurance to deem that Levemir is a documented failure. It’s been around 3 weeks on Levemir and its only getting worse. Im hungry all the time on it…and thats one of the few things that lets me know Im dropping low is I get just EXTREMELY hungry. I’ve been so hungry feeling could have sworn I was dropping low…only to check and be 168. Glad I checked before correcting you know, lol. I may be switching insurance around the first of the year to my companys insurance and luckily they DO cover Lantus…2nd teir for vial…3rd teir for pens, and Im fortunate enough to have the means in the mean time I can pay out of pocket for it. Its just ridiculous sometimes dealing with the health insurance company’s.

I don’t blame You…
It took me Months To Convert from Lantus to Levemire, alot of Trial and Error and Getting up 3-4 hr over nite tan Half the time, needing to take a Bolus…Other Nites are fine… and it’s still like that…
and Although No More Hypo’s over nite Using Levemire as I had using Lantus, it’s still not constant either…

BTW, I think it’s Terrible that they ( med Profession and Everyone else) don’t just put us on the Pumps and quit Jacking us around and dragging it out… They KNOW That is the Only way to give us the Best Shot are controlling this Disease…

I’ve been turned down for yrs to get a Pump, 1st thru the VA and Now thru Medicare Dr.'s.
Since I have Decent A1c’s ( 6%) most of the time… But apparently it’s Ok to Poke myself 8-10x a day and nite and get up 3-4 hr over nite …

I think these Dr.'s are out to protect Medicare and the Insurance Co.'s costs…I recently told off my 2nd Medicare Endo . now searching for another one, that is Pro Pump…

If can afford it? Buy the Lantus to tie you over for the next few months…
IF not? Let me know and I can try to Help figure out how to Get better Results using the Levemire for you…

Another Option? Go back to Using The Former LLI> NPH…

Thank you so much. I was all set Sunday to go get the script filled, I already had it on file at the pharmacy…and I was just going to pay the cost. I called Sunday morning when they opened just to get the heads up of what the price would be, explained the situation to the lady in the pharmacy, and she’s like let me TRY running it through on your insurance. My ONLY thought is…maybe they have just lifted the prior auth for Lantus…BUT it went through with only a 60 dollar copay. Im not questioning it that is for sure.

My endo is EXTREMELY pump friendly and is all for me going on it, its just a hang up with insurance…meeting ALL the criteria. Overall all though I love BC/BS they have always come through for me in the MANY years I’ve had it. This has really been the first instance with them that I am like you have GOT to be kidding me. Lantus is fairly new, but its not like it just came out a week ago.

But now I’ve just got to get it built back up again, and hopefully no problems. Definately didn’t feel HUNGRY all day so that is a plus. And no crazy ups and downs either, just a little higher than I’d like to be but not going from 225 to 50 either, so Im sure it will all stable back out in a few days.