Jericho's Diagnosis

My sweet 3.5 year old son, Jericho, has been increasing more and more thirsty the last few weeks and was going to the bathroom constantly. He also had some accidents and considering he has been potty trained for a year, my husband and I considered limiting his fluid intake. The night before I took Jericho into his doctor, the word diabetes popped in my head and I quickly looked up the symptoms. Although he had quite a few of the symptoms and I wanted to get him checked, I think there's always the hope in your mind that there's no way he could be diabetic. From what we knew, there was no history of diabetes on either side of the family.

The next morning, after a breakfast of french toast (completed with syrup of course), we made our way to the doctor. I told Jericho that he wasn't getting any shots because the best I knew, he would just be taking a urine test (boy did I have a lot to learn). After his urine test, they came back for a blood test and although he was only poked one time, they came back two times after that to continue to get samples. By then I was suspecting that there was a good chance he had diabetes. On the third time they came back to get more blood, they asked him and his brother Judah if they wanted a sugar free sucker. That was another sign to me that things weren't looking good. The doctor finally came back in and told me that Jericho's glucose levels were in the 300's and that it looked like "early onset diabetes" and that they were securing us a bed at the Children's Hospital and needed to go right now. At that point, I cried and mostly because I couldn't figure out why it was serious enough to go to the hospital and the other reason was because my husband was a couple of hours away and I had 3 children that were 3 and under to care for. I called a couple of friends and got their voicemail. One friend called back fairly quickly and came to the hospital to be with my younger two boys while I attended to Jericho.

The hospital stay was rough at the beginning as they drew more blood and put an IV in. Both of those were very difficult on a child who hates needles (I don't know anyone who loves needles I guess). They diagnosed him with Type 1 Diabetes and his levels were in the 600's from the blood they took at the hospital. His levels were that high because the pediatric nurse assigned to our room told us that Jericho could eat what he wanted and that we would just correct it with insulin. He had a few bites of an apple but then our friend came back with my other son who picked out orange juice so he also had juice before his blood draw. So basically, that day, Jericho had two of the foods/liquids that drive the blood sugar up the highest, juice and syrup. Oh, and I also forgot the ice cream social that was going on in the lobby of the floor of the hospital we were on. My friend also took him to that. Guess if he were going to be diagnosed as diabetic, he was going to go out with a bang!

We spent 1 night at the hospital while Jericho was rehydrated and while my husband and I learned the most we could in a 24 hour time period about diabetes. There was a lot they expected us to self learn through DVD's and books. That's the last thing we were wanting to do as we attended to our children's needs as well as tried to inform friends and family.

We have learned a lot this last week and feel a lot more comfortable with the blood draws, counting carbs and giving insulin. Although Jericho is still having a hard time with it all. He doesn't understand why we need to poke him and at one point during this past week, he said, "I don't like this game" and continued to say that as we take blood and give insulin. Oh Jericho, how we wished this were just a game.

While I'm so grateful that insulin exists and that Jericho can live a long and healthy life, I can't help but grieve our life as I knew it. No more just giving a sandwich at lunch and when the boys are hungry again, giving them some fruit snacks. I'd have to say that the biggest adjustment (other than all the pokes/shots and counting carbs) is that our meals must be planned, well balanced, and he must eat everything he wants at one sitting. That last one is tough for a toddler! We are learning our new normal for now. We do believe Jericho can be healed since we serve a God that we have seen heal of many diseases and aliments. Until we see the healing that we know God can give, we will treat with insulin and through diet.

Welcome Mom, As much as I hate being diabetic I would gladly take on this disease again if I could spare a child. Unfortunately I cannot and diabetes takes its role in our life.

I know its not comforting to for me to say you will soon be experts at this disease for I know the words do not comfort. Soon diabetes will be just another part of Jericho's and your life. It will be part of who he is but it will not define him.

If you have not already joined Parents of Kids with Type1 I suggest you do so it is an active group of parents that face the same challenges daily.

No one wishes for new diabetic members but we are glad you have found us. Please feel at home mom for you are with friends.

Thanks so much, Gary! I wish I could take on his diabetes for him as well. A few people have told me that being diagnosed at a young age is better because he will develop good habits at a young age and won't remember life before diabetes. I'm grateful for all of the support there is out there! I'll check out the group of parents of kids with Type 1 Diabetes. :)

It's really overwhelming right now, but it does get better. I'm glad you found us right away. Please don't hesitate to ask questions here, or just vent if you need to. We are here for you mom.

you have found your way earlier on to a site that GETS YOU! don't expect everyone around you to empathize or have a clue to what your new norm is. some are much more understanding and empathic but when the chips are down you have to live it to really understand. so you will find comfort and knowledge from the wonderful folks on this website. for now learn as much as you can and continue to love you little boy as I would suspect you already do with even more depth. We will never know why our children and we must walk this walk but we can put our faith in god to keep them safe and give us the strength that we need to continue to find joy in all things and accept what we can not change. Being diag. so young for your son is hardest on you mom, your son will probably not remember preD and this will be part of him like his brown hair. many many blessings, please ask any question you need. amy

oh and eventually your son will convert to a pump which has much more freedom with frequent snacking, it is best to give shots before eating but if you haven't a clue what he is going eat or how much you can always give it after the fact on occasion.

It can be incredibly overwhelming at first. You may feel as if you have to learn an endless amount of information overnight. Here's a tip: don't try to absorb everything at once. You can't; the brain can only handle so much at a time before it gets saturated and rebels.

But the good news is, you don't need to become an expert overnight. This is going to be with you, and you with it, for the long haul. As someone (not me) said, "Diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint." Learn one or two new things a day. You will end up being surprised how quickly it begins to take shape and come into focus.

And you have almost 35000 people right here who get what you're going through and are eager to share their experience.

You've come to the right place. We're glad you're here. :)

Thank you, Marie, Jacob's mom, and David! The support has been great so far and I have already realized that the ones who "get it" are the ones who have walked the road.

Hang in there. My youngest brother was diagnosed when he was 3 with T1. He is now 47 and lives a very active lifestyle. He waterskis, bikes, canoes, whatever he wants. He is married with 2 boys of his own. He does not even like sweets very much. What an inspiration he is to me and a help to me when I was diagnosed last year with T1 at 57. By the way I have another brother with T1 diagnosed at 40. Hats off to moms and dads who deal with children with T1. You will do an amazing job with your son. You already have.