Keeping a Log

I know that keeping a log is the best way to ensure good control. When I keep a log, my A1C always improves. I am having trouble finding a method to keeping a log that works for me. I've tried carrying around a little booklet and recording everything as I go. I find the booklets lack space, and columns for things I want to track. I have tried printing off logs, and filling them out at the end of every day, but by then I've forgotten things, and I depend on my bolus wizard, so I rarely remember corrections, doses, etc. I'm on the pump, which is connected to my meter, so I can use that for glucose readings, carbs and insulin, but the reports are confusing and sometimes difficult to read, and again, lack important details such as exercise, temp basals, "feeling low" and treating, etc. Just wondering what everyone else does?

uggh, the logging! i have tried a million ways to sunday and have the same problems-without the pumpy things. i have yet to find an answer. i start logging and i find myself not logging 3 days later. i dont have an answer but i am all here in commiseration....

I no longer keep any handwritten records. Instead, I download my insulin pump, CGM, and BG meter. The pump supplies basal and bolus records, temp basals, total daily dose, and amount of carbohydrates boluses. The CGM provides up to 288 BG data points for each day. The BG meter keeps track of my more than 12 fngersticks each day.

About a year ago, I discovered a web-based program, Diasend, that accepts data from all three of my diabetes devices. They recently disabled the CGM data capacity as they are going through and FDA approval process for that. In the meantime I use the DexCom Studio software to review my daily BG traces and all the associated statistics.

The beauty of Diasend is that it integrates all the data in reports that permit you to make rational changes. Diasend is not compatible with every device but does cover most meters and Animas (Ping, Vibe, 1200, 1250, 2020), Omnipod, Accu-Chek Spirit and the Cozmo 1700 pumps. (Sorry, Medtronic is not included.) It also accepts comments and provides a date and time stamp. That can be used to input exercise info and other pertinent remarks.

Downloading and reviewing my data a few times each week gives me the benefit that you describe from traditional logging. Whenever I do it, my numbers improve or at least remain good. I like this system because it does not bog me down moment to moment during the day but still allows me to benefit from reviewing the data and drawing the right lessons. I, too, struggled with the discipline required to consistently take notes in real time. My electronic logs are way more legible than my handwriting.

When I visit my endo, I print out the reports that mean the most to me and show them to the doctor. I limit most of the reports that I show the doctor to a 14 day period as that seems to represent fairly well my overall experience.

i phone has a really cool app for this, very smart with alerts and all sorts of cool stuff!

I fought logging of any sort for years but became diligent about it a couple of years ago when I hit a rough patch with my diabetes. Now I feel lost without it.

I use a small memo pad type spiral bound notebook that is about the same size as my pump PDM so I can slip both into my work bag or purse. I write the date at the top of each page and log bg checks, food eaten with carb count and total insulin bolused, when I start a new Dexcom sensor, pod changes, any physical symptoms like hot flashes, menstrual cramps, nausea, temp basals started or canceled, notes about why I may adjust a suggested bolus amount up or down.

To me, my log helps me tie together the data pieces from my pump reports and dexcom graphs. It helps answer some of the "why" I took certain actions. It helps me see if my carb counting is the problem or my I:C ratio. I feel like it fills in the blanks for me.

Also, just to clarify, my little notebook doesn't have columns or any headings other than the date for each page at the top. Then I just note the time and whatever action I'm taking, skipping a few lines between each entry. That way, I can write alot or a little. I hope this helps you find something that works for you! :)

I use the glucosurfer.org web site. Its designed to work on the web, and with smartphones. I use the web interface and the android version on a generic tablet. I think it can manage uploads from pumps. I just enter data manually.

The man that developed it, Holger Schmeken, is actually a member of tudiabetes

I think that you could benefit most from an app. If you have a smartphone you could try OnTrack Diabetes. I've used it for over a year and I could track insulin, carbs, exercise, A1c etc. I don't know if it can help you with temp basals, though, but I really liked that app.
I could set my own categories (Pre Lunch, Post Lunch and such, Hypo or Snack and with time you can check the averages for these categories, to see if they are within limits) and it was very good at predicting my A1c.
I'm using Kevin's Spreadsheet now which is an Excel document that I keep open on my laptop and it can track insulin, carbs, even basals. You can add notes every day and at the end of the week it makes a chart with a line for every day of the week, showing the trends and the "hitters". It helps me change my ratios and pushes me to do better :)

I have used the app OnTrack. I suggest you check it out. It helped for about 3 months, but then got off of it. I recently made a template on my computer and use it daily. I take screen shots and post it on my blog. Posting it on the internet has made it so I have to keep up with all the data and recording details, etc.

Thanks - I'll check it out!

Thank you, I'll definitely take a look. I'm on my phone ALL THE TIME so I think this might be the way to go.

Let's learn together :)

Bah, I'm on a Medtronic pump. Thanks for the suggestion though.