Kellogg's® Special K® Protein Plus cereal

I’ve seen their stuff at Walmart (which is where I bought their sandwich thins), too… and the regular grocery store. They also go by the name “Arnold Select”

Kristin:
Hi stranger! My response to this all … huh??? Whatcha all just say?? One thing I think I may understand is that the sugar alcohols ARE included in the total carb count. Or do we have to add that too?!! I think I’d have to go back to college and earn a degree in nutrition to get myself under control. Ohhhhhhh grrrrrrooooooaaaaaannnnn!!!

Lois La Rose

I am a Don Mclean kind of player. Learned all his music from listening and watching him. Also enjoy Paul Simon and James Taylor. I have no musical talent beyond copycatting what I see and hear others play.

I am reminded of an episode of MASH when Winchester is trying to get a patient to play the piano again after losing one hand, and he exclaimed to the kid who had the gift, in frustration that “I can play the notes, but I cannot make music” That would be me :slight_smile:

Never could sing beyond “just okay” so its mostly just for my own relaxation time tho…Carted that guitar across the country many times in my younger days of travel. “Helped me make it through some lonely nights” Still does :slight_smile:

John

Bummer I cannot find those at the walmarts around here. I was a big fan of Arnold breads when I lived in New Jersey tho :slight_smile: There are no places around here that sell anything Arnold, or low carb breads of any kind. Can’t say I have gone into every grocery store, but I have been in 98% of them to no avail.

I tried to email them, and there is no place I could find to do that. I clicked on “contact us” and chose support, and they just responded that they are only web site support, and I should email LiveSTRONG.org which is Lance Armstrong’s web site. You know, the guy who cheated? :frowning:

Anyway, they don’t have anything related to the foods you pointed me to. Guess I will have to move so I can have a sandwich

Thanks anyway,

John

John, this is the official Brownberry site. They also have an outlet locator in there… http://brownberry.bimbobakeriesusa.com/. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

John,
Beware.
I was watching some tv show, and they said that prepackaged foods are required by the FDA to have nutritional information within 20% of listed values. I was horrified. The following quote comes from a website I was forwarded to from the FDA.gov website:

A food with a label declaration of calories, sugars, total fat, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, or sodium shall be deemed to be misbranded under section 403(a) of the act if the nutrient content of the composite is greater than 20 percent in excess of the value for that nutrient declared on the label. Provided, That no regulatory action will be based on a determination of a nutrient value that falls above this level by a factor less than the variability generally recognized for the analytical method used in that food at the level involved.

The website is:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=563f0b…

Hey John,

I have found that my easy breezy clean up breakfast is a slice of any good sprouted grain bread toasted with some peanut butter or butter or cheese. For me, the sprouted grain bread does not spike my bg. I traded in a slice of my toast for half a wheat bran muffin made with grape juice the other day and went way high. Maybe it’s coincidence with the low at night thing, but I have found consistently that the sprouted grain bread, like Ezekial, is a safe meal. Costco also sells a bread called Squirrely. I live alone, too, and don’t like to have to make a big mess before I head out for my day and then come home to cleaning it up. Good luck with the Special K. I use almond milk and it’s high in fat which should slow down the carbs some.

I have to agree. I would eat a bowl of raisin bran and 1% milk, usually with a banana sliced onto it, and a glass of juice. Thought I was doing the right thing

Not a week before my tests and dx for T2, I shopped the sales and bought 12 large boxes of Raisin Bran, and a dozen half gallons of Sunny Delite. What an eye opener to see what was really in the juice, and to see how many carbs were in the cereal.

My children said they would take it, but you know, I had a bit of a hard time giving them such junky, supposedly good, food. They are grown up and on their own, I showed them the labels and explained what was in them that would kill me, and how it wouldn’t be too good for them, and then let them have whatever they wanted. Actually, I had about a years worth of food in storage, and most all of it was either tossed, or donated. Bummer.

You situation on AM carbs is not unique, and is one reason I get twisted all up when doctors say we don’t need to test if we are T2 and not on meds. Some days, I am 95 in the AM, others, 75. If I am 75, I feel okay about the Special K protein cereal, in a quantity that is enough for me. If I am closing in on 100 when I start the day, it has to be eggs and bacon, or sausage, whatever. Neither will push me past 140, or very far, for very long, but the strips help me keep my numbers down, so that silly A1c looks good when the doctor checks me out.

John

I wish regulations were written in english :slight_smile: 20% seems a bit sloppy, but the fact is, I sometimes wonder how they calculate the nutrition in the first place. Seems like a lot of witchcraft, and more than a little of what we call SWAG, known as a scientific wild A** guess :slight_smile:

thanks for the link.

John

I have begun a search of the valley for health food stores, and will set out on a quest to find some ultra low car, no sugar types of bread. Trying now to find someone with a Costco card who can take me there to see what they have.

Within a 20 mile radius of my house, there is nothing but giant supermarkets. In fact, by their web page, there are 20 walmart stores within 15 miles of my house. Unreal… All the smaller stores have long since packed it in and gone the way of the dodo… I guess that’s progress

Thanks Carolyne,

John

You may have luck finding the sandwich thins at Costco. The Costco close to me carries them.

Sorry John, I just saw your question: Pepperidge Farm Carb Style Bread = 8 Carb grams minus 3 grams of fiber = 5 per slice. Each slice also has 0 Sugars and only 60 calories. I don’t eat much bread, but every now and then I like toast with PB and 1/2 banana. :slight_smile: