Kidney problems? I'm freaking out over this test result

Been type 1 for about 20 years, no complications and my A1C has been under 6 for the last 3 years.

Yesterday had my annual blood work and looking at the results it appears there might be some protein in my urine…

Albumin Random Urine <0.7 mg/dL|mg/dL

Creatinine Random Urine 22.0 mg/dL|mg/dL

Albumin/Creatinine Ratio <31.8 Mg/G Creat
(Standard Range<30.0 Mg/G Creat)

I’ve been worried about this all day. All the blood work was normal and the Estimated GFR was >90. A1C was 5.2.

Playing Dr Google I found that this could very well be the 1st stage of Chronic kidney disease. Anyone have any experience with this?

I’ve had minor issues for a few years after 50 yrs as a type 1. For awhile there I took 300 mg of vitamin B1 daily and my numbers went down. I’m not giving medical advice but I did read about this working and it did. A few numbers were wildly out of place, so we think they were flukes. My GFR is perfect, so are all my other functions so we rarely worry at all about a tiny protein spill here and there. And really, it has been very tiny.

2 Likes

Well that is certainly encouraging to hear. After reading your response I found a study done in 2008 that stated the same thing. Will definitely give it a go. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

My dad showed indications of kidney disease and I FREAKED out…secretly because he was freaking out NOT secretly. It wasn’t as bad as we imagined. The Docs got his BP under control better and his kidney stuff is fine. That was 2 years ago.

How’s your blood pressure?

1 Like

Blood pressure is key with kidneys. And yes they can repair themselves with good control. Major damage can’t be reversed.
I take a diabetes multi vitamin which has all the b vitamins as well as a few others.
I’ve been type 1 for 34 years. My kidneys are still good.
Don’t worry too much. Drink lots of water next test. If you are dehydrated your numbers will look worse

1 Like

I’m not sure about what kind of diet you follow, but you might be careful of a high protein diet. High protein can be harder on the kidneys.

A few thoughts, after taking in others’ comments:

First, I don’t know your numbers are bad. I looked at my own, and they seem in line with normal values, except for the Albumin/Creatinine Ratio, and that is only nominally elevated:

As for the elevation in the A/C ratio, short-term increases can be caused by a variety of things, and to quote another site:

The presence of blood in the urine, a urinary tract infection, vigorous exercise, and other acute illnesses may cause a positive test result that is not related to kidney disease. Testing should be repeated after these conditions have resolved.

Urine Albumin and Albumin to Creatinine Ratio | Lab Tests Online

My own thoughts, before reading or checking the material above:

• First, is it transient or chronic? You should give it a few days and retake the tests.
  • Second, has anything happened that might be causing a short-term increase in these numbers, like an injury, muscle damage, long workouts, etc.?
  • Third, was there anything in your diet recently that could account for this?
  • How is your BP? One would think uncontrolled, or even long-term controlled, BP would be a precursor of kidney problems.

I’ve watched my kidney numbers for decades, and luckily, nothing has ever been out of the ordinary. I’ve had controlled BP for the past 30+ years, talking an ACE-inhibitor since the second time my diastolic was over 90. Then I was surprised, as I was thin (6’4", 175 pounds), ran/biked/lifted 5 times a week, and followed an ovo-lacto diet.

Also, a mention about protein, although those with kidney failure are typically required to reduce protein intake, I’ve read studies over the years that showed higher protein intake actually correlated with lower BP,

I do have high blood pressure although it is controlled with lisinopril/hctz. I normally check it 3-4 times a week and it is very rare for it to be above 120/70 and when it is its only by a few points, normally closer to 115/60.

My doctor doesn’t apparently think much of it, when the test results were posted he wrote “Your labs were in an acceptable range and your A1c looks fantastic. Let’s repeat in 6 months.” I obviously do think something of it, I responded back to him and asked him how concerned should I be about this and I still haven’t received a response.

What gets me about all this is I know 2 other type 1’s, and neither of them take very good care of themselves and they are fine. One of them has been T1 for 40 years, eats junk food constantly and her last A1C was 12! I’m surprised she’s still alive honestly. Here I am rarely let myself get over 150, avoid crappy food, meditate, exercise when I can, and now I got to wonder and worry about this.

1 Like

Ask your doctor to repeat the urine in 2 weeks. If they think it is unnecessary, explain how worried you are and how it will worry you if it isn’t resolved.

Sometimes genetics plays a bigger role than control.
I look at it as 80-20 split. 80 percent we have no control over. It’s genetics or disease etc.
20 percent we can control. So you can only do what you can do.
I do my best to stay in range and eat healthy. After that it’s out of my hands.

Everything I’ve ever read says that a single protein spill is very commons, means nothing at all and it takes consecutive elevated measurements to even begin further investigation.

When I was diagnosed 40 years ago they did occasional 24-hour urine specimens to set a baseline because back then it was “common knowledge” that all diabetics soon get kidney disease and the docs wanted to track the nigh-inevitable onset. But those were the stone knives and bearskin days. With home bg testing and even a modicum of control the outcomes are far better for most everyone diagnosed in the past 40 years.

4 Likes