Kidney Stones

At 6am tomorrow morning I will have Shockwave lithotripsy for a 1.7cm stone in my only kidney. They have advised me not to take my diabetic meds in the morning and they will monitor my BG’s. I am not looking forward to this.

No one has said that my diet, lifestyle or anything is the cause of the stone. I do LOW CARB very aggressivly. Could this be the cause? Is this a side effect of diabetes?

Good luck tomorrow and I tend to blame everything on my diabetes. I have heard many thoughts about low carbing and kidney issues but I cannot tell you for sure. I would definitely ask the doctor performing this procedure his thoughts on this. I have not checked out your profile as yet, but it sounds like you are a Type 2 and I don’t think there is another option but to low carb to keep bgs in check. High bgs also cause kidney issues so you are in a catch 22.

I hope you find your answers on this and keep us posted on your lithotripsy.

It can also be caused by high amounts of calcium and vitamin C.

Kidney stones are not a side effect of low carb dieting or diabetes.

Some people get them, some don’t. My brother who eats a high carb diet gets them. I ate a very low carb diet for more than 6 years and never eat over 120 g a day even now and have never had one.

Some people’s metabolisms don’t handle calcium or other minerals quite right. I believe I read somewhere that if you can find out what kind of stone you had–the mineral composition, you might avoid too much of that mineral.

1 Like

The most painful 10 days passing all the stones from the Lithotripsy, having the stint removed was not fun either. I had to collect the stones so they are being analyzed for make-up. Hopefully that will give us some info as to what I can do to prevent in the future.

I probably eat more peanuts that you can imagine. 3lb can every two weeks. I hope I don’t have to give up my nuts.

3/14 - Well lithotripsy went ok but for the next 10 days I passed stones multiple times a day. Not a fun time. On 3-6 the pulled the stint (no sedation) another fun time. It was about 12 inches long and the size of a mouse cable. They still have not been able to tell what caused them. For that I have to do a 24 hr pee test.

What was a shock was the cost $56,000.00 for an out patient procedure. Insurenace covered all but $1400.00

My experience may provide some info for you. The reason I am prone to oxalate stones is that I have a citrate deficiency. This was found by the 24 hr test you mentioned which checked for many possible deficiencies. I take a prescription for potassium citrate (tablets or liquid) which compensates by reducing the urine acidity. Peanuts are one of the highest oxalate foods as are spinach and rubarb. Hmm, I thought that about $12,000 (in 2006, outpatient at a Boston Hosp) was high. I probably should drink more water, and I do keep trying.

1 Like

And peanuts are my low carb snack food. I eat a 3lb can every two weeks. I guess I will have to go to pig skins

A low oxalate diet applies for stones that contain oxalate and when a physician suggests a low oxalate diet.

Just completed my 2nd lithotripsy for kidney stones. Had a stent in for about a week and a half after my first one. That was not fun. Also had initial trouble with pain management after the first one. No stent after second one - just took three attempts to hook up IV.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=causes%20of%20kidney%20stones&source=web&cd=7&sqi=2&ved=0CIgBEBYwBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FKidney_stone&ei=EHO2T--HGOqciALGuZDMBg&usg=AFQjCNG78j_4yRgsULlYqBfqeMdKqzmRmA

CausesDietary factors that increase the risk of stone formation include low fluid intake, and high dietary intake of animal protein, sodium, refined sugars, fructose and high fructose corn syrup,[5] oxalate, grapefruit juice, apple juice, and cola drinks.[6]

Hope everything wound up OK I can't tell u nothing about Kidney stones since I've never had them myself but hoping & praying u'll be ok.

some foods are very bad like spinach and rhubarb if your stones are principally calcium oxalate. they could be uric acid stones ask them to give you a urine sieve and container so the debris can be analyzed.

A stone chemistry doctor told me to minimize salt. that the more salt in the urine the more calcium in the urine. GP said that was news to him.

Vit C is no good as it will acidify urine. Sodium bicarbonate to alkalinize urine ? However we need more sodium like a hole in the head.

Does a low oxalate diet really reduce the likelyhood of calcium oxalate kidney stones? Is there empirical scientific proof? I am about to start this diet and invest in a low oxalte cookbook. I have found some information on the net about it and found food lists etc.

Going to start round 2 with my 3rd lithotripsy in the beginning of May 2014. Just spent 2 days in the hospital dealing with a high fever associated with a UTI. Allegedly I may have passed a (kidney)stone which irritated a ureter. I have been monitoring my kidney stones with ultrasound the past several years.

did dr check ph of blood or urine? I was told that low carb diet may result in acid ph which may cause next problems. did you check Mg level? Mg reduce Ca

I’m doing my best to stay on a low oxalate diet. It’s certainly not easy, but worth doing.

I second this about drinking more water. A moderate to high calcium rich diet with low water intake can cause kidney stones. Along with other issues. Most people don’t drink enough water to begin with. Take a water bottle with you everywhere. If you aren’t urinating every couple hours you probably are slightly dehydrated. I live in the desert so i drink more than i think i need to but people generally don’t drink enough water.

Busybee