Kids First Diabetes Second...The Full story

I have said before and I will say it again, I was pleasantly surprised by Leighann Calentine's new book Kids First Diabetes Second. I had seriously wondered how someone relatively new to diabetes would handle an entire book...okay Leighann is not a newbie but sadly we have been on this block a few more years and as I have said, I have become crass over the years. As I said previously, she handled it fabulously! Again, I think this should definitely be given to all newly diagnosed, anyone struggling or just wanting to read a good "diabetes" book.

The book begins with Leighann stating that after diagnosis, she went into "mommy mode" and took it "one meal at a time". At that point she had me hooked. I felt a kinship. I always tell the newly diagnosed that I live life four hours at at time...basically one meal at a time when we were on MDI. She also quotes a nurse who told her that she needed to give her daughter choices but taking care of diabetes was never a choice. I also live this one. My son could choose where his site went, which finger to lance or which color pump he wanted but he could not choose not to test, inject or ultimately to pump. The Calentine's may not have had as many years of the dia-beast as we had but they had learned well and were sharing great insights with Kids First Diabetes Second!

To continue reading my review, please go to http://diabetesadvocacycom.blogspot.ca/2012/06/kids-first-diabetes-secondthe-language.html