Lap band Surgery and the effects on T2 Diabetes

Some of you know that I have been fighting my State Health Benefit Plan that is being managed by BCBS. After months and months of phone calls, pleading, and a threat of a lawsuit, I have been successful in arranging a meeting with the Vice President, the Exe. Director, and the Exe. Accounting Director of BCBS.

As a type one diabetic, my experience is with that side of diabetes. However, working with other Ds in this state, I have found out that this plan, unlike our past plans, does not cover lap band surgery that has a proven track record of not only causes T2 “cured” from diabetes, but improves high cholesterol levels, decreases heart risk, and improves other symptoms.

Recently, I skimmed thru an article that had shown that the “cure” from T2d in those who had the lap band surgery, was not from the weight loss, but was from something to do with the position of the lap band itself or the impact of the band in the lining of the stomach…I just can’t remember!

Has anyone else read this article, and could they please direct me to it. I would like to be able to plea for this surgery for those who want it.

There is speculation that lap band surgery reduces the incretin hormones (as do other forms of bariatric surgery). I don't believe there is a single article on this, rather there are many articles discussing this effect.

ps. And while there has been some marked success with bariatric surgery treating T2, the side effects can be very serious (like death and permanent malnutrition) and it is not clear whether the long-term outcomes justify the treatment.

Hi Brian,
You are definitely right about the incretin hormones & I have read different theories related to that in different articles.But I have a doubt. As we know bariatric surgery like lap band surgery for obesity has proved to be an extremely effective method of promoting long-term weight reduction with additional beneficial metabolic effects, such as improved glucose tolerance.

My question is : Is the improved glucose metabolism is a result of increased concentrations of reduced incretin hormone?