Last Minute Thoughts before I make a decision?

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this group but just finished a Dexcom Trial today (it was actually an 8+ day trial with good numbers throughout from the same sensor). I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy, the range of the receiver, and the manual alarm setting. I hadn’t thought I would like the Dexcom due to the limited software on the receiver, the complicated looking insertion process, and the fact that accuracy didn’t look as good and sensor insert looked more complicated as the Navigator.

So now I’m in a dilemma, I see my doctor tomorrow afternoon with the extremely good (usually within 15 points, often within 7 or 8) results of the Dexcom in hand but I had wanted to try all three of the systems before making a decision. I got to try Medtronics and it just did not work for me, period, I’m not going that way. I have not been able to get a Navigator trial and Abbott has really been a pain with contacting me and trying to sell it to me. This worries me because it seems like they’re not trying to sell the product even so I probably won’t get great support when I get on it. They won’t even give me the contact info of my local rep saying they only give that to doctors.

With the good experience I had with the Dexcom I’m considering just going for it and writing off the Navigator completely. Is there anyone with experience with the 7+ and the Navigator who can verify that the Navigator is even more accurate than the 7+? Also, can anyone share any insights as to the insertion of the Navigator and if the extra range in the receiver would make much of a difference for a young adult user? I don’t want to go with the Dexcom just because it was “good enough” but I feel like if I go with it I can be on it by September and I might not even hear back from the Navigator people before September. I’m just not sure what to do now. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rebecca

I originally tried to get the Navigator (not even try to trial any of the CGMS systems) back in April. When I called Abbott, I was given a “I could care less attitude” by the person answering phone when I asked about how to get the Navigator, I was immediately told in a non-enthusiastic tone to go to website. Even though I went to the website prior, I went back again and went ahead and printed forms and had my doctor help me obtain a Navigator. I got a call from Abbott with no return phone number and a non-listed phone number. Then I got a call from Edgepark. I was told I was approved for the Abbott Navigator and needed to pay money from my health insurance deductible up front to Edgepark. After paying money over phone to Edgepark I was then told Navigator was on backorder and it wasn’t known how long the backorder would be for. After waiting 2 weeks and doing research online and finding out this was a second back order issue and also due to their problems with the transmitter, I was told I could get a Dexcom Seven Plus immediately. Therefore, I went with with Dexcom. I have been very VERY happy with Dexcom - the customer support has been very VERY helpful for me. I had a problem at 2 or 3 am and called and amazingly someone answered the phone and helped me with problem! Every once in a while I get calls from Abbott like they are clueless that I didn’t continue pursuing getting the Abbott Navigator - I noticed the communication between the employees at Abbott is very poor.

I can’t really tell you much about the Navigator but I depend a lot on customer service. Every time I have called Dexcom they have been there for me and have answered my questions while reassuring me that it is okay to call any time I have a problem. Before my Dexcom arrived at my house (it was sent FEDEX), a Dexcom trainer called me and set up training rather quickly (which was great for me as I wanted to be hooked up right away).

Now I consider my good ol’ Dex a lifesaver and safety blanket as I have hypoglycemic unawareness and thanks to Dex I have lowered my basal rate 4 times since May 2009 (I didn’t realize how many lows I was actually having!). I also am not afraid to exercise to the extreme any more (I actually started running for the first time since 1980 age 9, due to having Dex my security blanket).

Hope you can get some answers from a Navigator user. I have been very happy with Dexcom and the customer service has really been top notch for me - which was most important quality. I would also suggest googling reviews on Navigator besides Dexcom and check out the CGMS groups set up for Navigator users and the Dexcom users on this website.

Good luck with your decision!

I’ve had only great experiences with my Navigator and with their sales and customer service teams, but I think the Dexcom is a good system and I think you’re fine to go with that. The sensor insert for both are actually pretty easy. I prefer the Nav for a few reasons (length of sensor, distance you can be from receiver, preference for freestyle strips, menus available (that I think have been added to the Dex receiver since I tried the Dex 7), and the uploading to CoPilot via Bluetooth). But if they’re giving you the runaround, I would definitely consider the ones working with you right now. As far as accuracy, yes, I think the Nav has proven more accurate for me, but everyone here loves their Dex and I have very little negative to say against their products.

My niece has only worn the Minimed and the Dexcom 7 Plus. Neither is accurate all the time; when Dex or MM is working, it reads very well; there are times where both have been way off. But the comfort of the Dexcom (neice does not complain about pain at insertion or wearing), and the fact that it works for a full seven days is wonderful. Not to have to worry about restarting it after three days, like the Minimed. We have usually gotten 9 or 10 days out of our Dex sensors. I do not expect perfection; know the sensors can be inaccurate at times, but it is a wonderful additional tool and I am sure her A1c will go way down with the Dex.

I am using the Navigator and am pleased with accuracy and ease of use. I have required very little customer service, never had a sensor issue that I could not figure out and have found the customer service people to be friendly and helpful. I got my trial through my Endo and CDE so did not deal with the sales people at all. I got my unit withing 2 weeks of insurance approval. My only issues have been dropping the reciever in the toilet off my belt(twice) and they replaced it both times with no problem. If you have a problem on a Friday you will not get the replacement until Tuesday, but is not an essential system so I am fine with that.
Way more people are using Dex than Nav. and I think the sensor on the Dex far outlasts the Nav… I can get 8 days on a sensor sometimes 9 but no more because the tape is not sticky enough to stay that long. If you can arrange a trial is probably worth it but am sure both are comparable.
Good luck and enjoy!

I have the Minimed one but I’ve heard the Dexcom users are much happier with the accuracy, etc. I think you’re making a good choice.

So to let everyone know I gave the Abbott contact info to my Endo to see if she can do anything more than what I could do. We decided that if they can set me up for a trial by mid-September I will wait. If she experiences the same sort of resistance and bad sales tactics I have then we’re going to go with the DexCom. So, one more month or so at most without it and then we’ll make a final decision and process paperwork. Thanks for all you comments and insights they really were helpful!

Hi,

I just completed my first 30 days using the Navigator. I am exercising my right to return the Nav and get my money back. I had only only one sensor out of the 6 supplied that actually made it the full five days. The remaining sensors fell off my insertion area. I even used overtape to keep them attached. I used both sides of my abdomen and the back of my arms and still had problems. I am an exercise freak exercising 2 hours a day. So maybe that had something to do with it. Having a glucometer built into the Nav was great particularly for me as I have used the Freestyle Glucometer since it came on the market. One issue to be wary of is the cost of the sensors. I called 4 different Nav distributors and received four different prices for a package of 6 sensors. The prices ranged from $750 to $499.50. Of course each distributor had again a different price depending on insurance. It was difficult to get a straight answer. With the Dexcom I assume there is just one price becuase you purchase the sensors from Dexcom.I liked the shape of the Nav, the software was simple to use. The software became difficult when the sensors gave me problems. The Nav was great when it worked, but for me it was more frustrating trying to get the Nav. to work. After 52 years with diabetes is any CGMS going to add any additional years to my life? I am 54.

Jonathan,

While I’m 26 and possible COULD live longer due to CGM feedback that really isn’t why I’m after it. I found during my trials that I have no hypoglycemia awareness whatsoever. There were a couple times I actually ignored a low warning because I felt find only to still have it reading low 15 to 20 minutes later. I’d check just to correct it and actually have a reading of 45. Again, I felt fine and once I was even driving during this. That’s not something I want to be doing so I want the CGM to let me know when I’m off. Also, during my trial my blood sugar readings didn’t surpass 225 once I figured it out. An average week for me without the sensor sees my glucose everywhere from 40 to 300. If I can get the settings right and keep my glucose between say 70 and 200 even then that will greatly improve my health and my moods. So yes, I may get a few extra years due to this thing, but the main benefit is the peace of mind and just feeling better from not having such large glucose swings during my day to day life.

I had a metronic sensor for a year, and was so tired of all the problems and bad customer service I decided in April to try a different company. I called Dexcom and Abbott. I spent about 4 days on the phone with the Dex rep and also the Metronic rep (trying to change my mind) but never even recieved a return phone call from Abbott. When I chose to get the Dexcom, my Mayo Docs questioned my choice, going on about how wonderful the Navigator was but I was worried about the long startup period and the fact that I couldn’t even get a rep to call me back helped me make the decision. I love my Dexcom. The accuracy is amazing compared to the minilink, customer service is fairly good. I have a few issues but overall am happy with my choice.

Rebecca,

What CGM do you use. The Navigator jsut does not make it for me.

I tried the Dexcom for a week and it made a huge difference. I’m in the process of filling out paperwork now and will be getting it shortly.

Rebecca,
I tried the Dex and experienced the same level of accuracy, generally within 16 pts of finger-stick and often better. I read all the time that Nav users report even closer accuracy to fingersticks. I think this is especially true when bg is within normal ranges. After an intense and confusing comparison of the the accuracy data of both systems, I concluded the Dex is a bit more accurate at times of extreme highs and lows but that overall accuracy is close enough between the two. As long as I have my high/alerts set, both systems are going to accomplish what I would want, so I will base my decision on other factors (if insurance ever covers it). To this moment, I’m not sure which i would pick. Dex makes it easy to try and their customer service seems more on the ball, so I’d probably go with them.

I’m very impressed that these companies are able to get CGM to work reliably at all to help us (assessing bg levels based on interstitial fluid is inherently challenging)!!! And remember, your Dex readings will probably go wacky if you take Tylenol!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your input. After not being able to get the Abbott people to really work with us at all we ended up going with the Dex. I got a call from the distributor (CCS Medical) on Friday and they’re sending my info to the insurance company for approval Monday. They say this is usually just done through phone and they hope to have it in the mail on Tuesday and then here to me on Wednesday. They want me to set up another training appointment with our rep here but I think I’m just going to call him on Monday and ask if, since I’ve already done the whole process, I can just go ahead and get it started when it gets here. I’m really excited and I wanted to thank everyone for their input.

Wow. I contacted Dex people about a month ago, and they’re still going through the paperwork. They tell me it will probably be another month before I get it. (Not good; I’m in danger of losing my job because of lows at work.) How are you getting yours so quickly? Is your insurance jsut awesome?

I guess so. Also, we just got my insulin pump back in February so they’re used to me and my case. Finally, I’m getting it through a distributor that I already get my pump supplies through so they have me in their system too. The only thing I’m missing is the approval for the CGM and they seemed certain it wouldn’t be a problem (I have documented hypoglycemia unawareness and struggle for good control because of the rebounds my system makes!) My only suggestion is to keep being persistent. They’re more likely to concentrate on your paperwork if you’re being a pain. Good luck!

I’m jealous! I had the the Minimed CGMS and it was just awful for picking up readings out of the normal range. I don’t know if my insurance would give me another chance with a different machine. What do you think? Also, after many years on the pump I’ve found the pump works better if I use new sites found on my sides and upper hips. Is that where you insert the Dex?

Anna: Like you I have hypoglycemia unawareness and a terrible history with lows. In 2006 after I went unconscious driving my car and totaled it, my doctor told me then to consider 150 to be my new 100 and just try to adjust to mostly 150-200 range to save my own life as well as others. Amazingly my A1Cs are still acceptable and I’ve remained complication free now in my 43rd year with diabetes. Regardless, I still took another ambulance ride after all that but mostly have done o.k. After reading the comments here, the Dex does sound good.

I would think you are entitled to a new CGM system whenever the warranty expires on the MM system. Don’t know about MM, but the warranties for Dex/Nav receivers are pretty short, like 12-18 months, I think. Insurance would be paying for your MM sensors, so why not have them pay for Dex or Nav sensors instead?

So after problems figuring out how to go with the distributor instead of straight through Dexcom and then problems with getting insurance to approve it my Dexcom 7+ was finally put in the mail yesterday. They’ve told me it should be here by Monday at the latest and I spoke with our trainer who said since I handled the insertion on my own at the training he was ok with me just going ahead with it when it got here. Summary is that the whole process of choosing, getting approval, and receiving took just under a month and next week I’ll be on the CGM. Thanks everyone for all your help!