Learning Curve of CGM

I’ve upgraded to the 522 and have been using the MiniLink for a little over two weeks now. I know there is a learning curve involved with starting this process, but I would say that I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the MiniLink and the sensors. I am really excited about all the information and I can see some major trends that my endocrinologist and I are already working on. BUT I’m surprised at how precise everything has to be for you to get accurate readings. I’ve had two sensors not work, and finding the best time to calibrate has been a challenge - I have a very active two year old and we snack throughout the day, etc. I just wanted to see if anyone has suggestions or thoughts on your learning curve process. When did you feel like you really had mastered CGM? Thank you.

I agree 1000%.

We have had our minilinks for about the same time- two weeks. My first sensor in was VERY accurate but I can’t figure out what I did to get that accuracy because none of the rest of mine seem to be doing that well. I left my first one in a week until it started itching, and I’ve had 2 more which are always off by 50-100 points.

I’d love to hear from others who have figured out how to align the stars correctly so that this thing works. Right now, I’m using it for trends, but I was hoping for a little bit more accuracy…

Yes I would agree with these statements as well. Sometimes my results are very accurate other times not so much. I look more at the trends after I upload the data to Carelink. I have had one bad sensor that Medtronic replaced for free. If you have problems make sure you call them because if it fails they will replace it.

The warming up period is the crucial part in my opinion. My trainer said 10 minutes but sometimes I wait 20 or 30 minutes before plugging in the transmitter. Do you ever notice how fast it wants a calibration after you have been wearing it for 3 days and trick it for another 3 days. The one other area that may affect your results would be if you are using the new Ultra Link BG Meter. Until Medtronic comes out with a firmware update for the pump so that when the results are beamed over it doesn’t calibrate the CGMS you have to turn that feature off on you meter. Three calibrations a day is supposed to be optimal. I calibrate my sensor when I wake up, a couple hours after lunch and right before I go to bed. Those three times for me are usually when the least change is taking place. Good luck and I look forward to reading anybody else’s ideas or methods in using CGMS.

Dave

The key to accuracy seems to be around doing finger sticks on a regular interval. I find that if I check my blood at about 8 hour intervals I get very accurate sensor readings.

I have seen marked improvement in my control. But if you think this science is perfected you will be disappointed. Remember that the control of diabetes is about range management and not percise numbers. If you are leveling out between 115 and 120 and you want to go lower, you can make the adjustments to get there in a controlled fashion. The sensors can help.

However, if you are running between 80 and 200, you have much bigger issues than the sensors. You need to look at all the factors that affect your glucose first and the sensor second. It can only provide you the data you get from the habits you ingest! Carbs are not to be taken lightly.

I find the sensors easy to get working if you follow the program. Clean, insert and wait 5 minutes. have your meter near by, snap on the transmitter and hit new sensor. within a couple of the minutes the indicator should change and once it has indicated that there is a connection, this is when i tape over the sensor and not before. From there all goes on schedule: finger stick within two hours, and away you go…

If you are having issues, you should talk to the factory rep or diabetes educator. Most the doctors I have worked with have been clueless as to how make the thing work…

good luck…