Least Toxic Insulin

You do know that homepathic "medicine" is nothing more that sugar pills?

Avogadro’s discovery allows us to calculate that a 13C dilution (a 1 in 100 to the 13th power dilution), is the equivalent of diluting 1/3 of a drop of the original substance in all the water on earth, and to reach a 200C potency you would have to continue to dilute it by 1 to 100 a total of 187 more times.)

1 Like

Jwmiller -

I think you will learn not to be so rude to someone who could be a friend.

I am sorry if you were offended by my pointing out that homepathic "medicine" is the stuff of fairy tales. The fact remains that homeopathic medicine is nothing more than sugar pills.

That's the biggest crock I have heard in a long time. I have been on five different types of insulin in the last two months and have never been this sick in my life. After lots of research and absolutely no help from the doctors, I have come to the conclusion I am allergic to the toxins in the insulin. I would rather take my chances and work on my blood sugar some other way than to be this sick anymore. I feel like I have been severely poisoned.

2 Likes

What tribbles said.

That's the biggest crock I have heard in a long time.
It's a crock because you got sick? How 'bout a little rationality here?

Allergy to some of the additives is certainly an issue for a tiny minority of patients. This doesn't mean those ingredients are "toxins", in the colloquial use of the term. It simply mean you have an allergy.

I find your angry tone puzzling. I have very bad pollen allergies, particularly to Oak and Olive trees. I'm not angry with them, nor do I feel the need to mischaracterize them as toxic plants. Rather, I'm simply allergic to them, yet another health problem that I need to deal with in my life.

There is no reliable evidence that current insulin formulations are toxic to the population generally. There are the tiny minority that are allergic to some component of the insulins, but that's no different than being allergic to milk.

1 Like

Sam, said with warmth and good will toward you, others have opinions regarding homeopathic medicine that differ from yours. It is not a slam on you personally.

I share jwmiller's view regarding homeopathic treatments. I consider the vast majority of it snake-oil. I include homeopathic antidoting.

Regardless, if it works for you, stick with it. In the end, all that matters is improvement. Whether it's legitimately physiological, or simply the placebo effect really doesn't matter for you. However, when presented as advice to others be prepared to be challenged.

None of that is rude. It's debate.

1 Like
They are preservatives, and the main function of preservatives in fluid medications is to kill different lifeforms. Think about it - you stick your (possibly) contaminated needles in the bottle, and to stop any bacterial growth in your insulin you have to create a toxic environment for the bacteria (and most like yourself)

The bolded is where you go wrong.

There are all kinds of things that are deadly to other living things that are absolutely harmless to humans. For example, one type of antibiotic interferes with the construction of the cell wall in bacteria, thereby stopping reproduction. Human cells -- which are eukaryotic -- do not have a cell wall (only a cell membrane). As such, these compounds have absolutely no effect on human cells.

This is why so many antibiotics are completely harmless -- directly -- to the human body (absent allergy). Problems associated with antibiotics are usually secondary effects -- like diarrhea from loss of good bacterial flora in the colon.

So don't assume that just because something is toxic to bacteria (or mice, squirrels, dogs, marmots, three-toed sloths, Jerusalem crickets, etc.) that it is necessarily harmful to humans.

2 Likes

Am I the only one here who frankly thinks so what? It works and keeps us alive. I frankly don't care what's in it as long as it keeps me going. Now if you have an allergy to something in it, all well and good. Otherwise it's a none issue. Many of us have used the stuff for decades, some far longer than that and it's kept us going and complaining about the ingredients of something which work is nothing but fear mongering like the loons who complain about mobile phones.

If you really want something with little other things in it there is always the old school insulins which were purified ground up pig or cow pancreas, mixed with fish semen and a bit of zinc to make it last longer on a water base.

All a none issue. The stuff works, it keeps us alive. If it works don't mess with it unless you have an allergy.

3 Likes

exactly

And I think talking too much about it is actually problematic. It became a public (GENERAL public, not only diabetics) issue recently in my country so one stupid guy thought it was good idea to take his son OFF insulin completely and cure him with hemp oil. He was even bragging about it.

Later on, his son was admitted to hospital guess why? Ugh, people.

I know the original post was from 09 but I am so happy I found this post. I was just starting to do my own comparison when I found this! I understand some people don’t care about additives in our insulin but I have huge concerns about the toxicity. I have a very sensitive system and I know this because I have terrible reactions to any form of manufactured MSG and nitrates. You would be surprised about foods that have it. Over the years I am more and more fatigued and suffer brain fog and aches and pains. I have a theory that these additives are causing those symptoms. People sometimes think I’m a crazy conspiracy theorist sitting in the corner covered in tin foil but I am just going on a correlation theory at this point. I can’t really test my hypothesis because we have no alternatives to insulin without the additives. I would like to open a dialogue with insulin companies but not really sure how. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and thanks for this wonderful information!

1 Like

My advice is to drop the toxin theory and pursue more likely causes.

Non-diabetics also come down with progressive "fatigue, brain fog and aches and pains" routinely.

Your symptoms are, unfortunately, very non-specific, and also caused by other chronic issues -- including simply getting older. (please don't take that the wrong way -- I'm not minimizing what you're experiencing, just pointing out that none of us have experience with getting older, and you'd be surprised how often symptoms of ordinary aging are mistaken for something being "wrong", particularly fatigue)

The danger, here, is chasing flying dragons. There simply is no credible evidence -- and these "toxins" have been studied to death -- that the additives in insulin are generally harmful at all.

Rare individuals may have allergic reactions, but then this would likely already be known, as these substances are found in many things that the patient would have reacted to.

Finally, feeling "fatigue, brain fog, aches and pains" -- how long have you been diabetic? These are pretty common complaints among diabetics, caused by DIABETES. How's your BG control? A1c? Standard deviation of you BG through the day? Diabetics feel all the things you mention routinely when BG is not well controlled. For some people's bodies, "well controlled" might require "tight control".

The symptoms you mentioned are sometimes caused by Celiac Disease, another autoimmune disease. After having had Celiac for 20+ years, the main symptoms I have when I've been accidentally "glutenized" are brain fog and a belly ache.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, John Smith!!! What you said about water is absolutely true. Additives are there for a reason. PWDs have been using these insulins for years and I have yet to see a valid longitudinal scientific study that demonstrates negative sequelae in long-term users of these insulins due to “toxic” additives.

And immunizing your child will not cause autism, either.

1 Like

Well said, RG. As a society we suffer from a lack of critical thinking skills. One logical fallacy that often comes into play, particularly in the anti-vax/autism circus, is known by its Latin name, post hoc ergo propter hoc. It literally means "after this, therefore because of this."

Just because event Y occurred after event X does not mean that event X caused event Y. For example, it would be laughable if older workers refused to retire because all workers who retire die! People do retire and then die but retirement does not necessarily cause death.

3 Likes

You do realize that because you're an MD, your opinion is tainted by being a part of the conspiracy to extract as much money, fraudulently, from the public.

Just like my (now retired) Internist father who, like you, is a greedy lying selfish narcissist most easily found, when looking for him, on the golf course.

(heavy sarcasm above, although I should have to point out the obvious)

I appreciate your humor! If only it were true, I wouldn’t be driving a 10-year-old car and still paying off debt from med school at the ripe older age of 56…

You guys do realize there are plenty of “organic” “toxins”, right? In fact, lots of synthetic alternatives were developed to address the shortcomings of their organic alternatives. I wish identifying bad things were as simple as stuff with fancy names or produced in a lab, but I’m afraid it’s not quite so simple in the real world.

2 Likes

The symptoms mentioned are also a sign of hypothyroidism, which can be autoimmune. Actually come to think of it they sound like symptoms of menopause too, so your point is well taken about them being non-specific :)

Please tell me what the control group in that longitudinal study would look like? I mean pretty much every T1 is on insulin, and taking in all the additives. Then some diabetics take in more, but they probably have more health issues (like overweight).