Leg pain

I’m 21 and have had T1 for 13 years now. In that time, I’ve noticed that whenever I get tired, stressed or overdo things a bit, my legs get a bit achey. However, a couple of days ago my legs started to feel extremely weak, and within a few hours the pain was more unbearable than any leg pain I’ve ever experienced before. I barely slept on Wednesday night because of it, yet by Thursday morning it had subsided a bit. Unfortunately the same pains started last night, and today although it’s calmed down a lot, I have similar pains in my hands and arms.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this or anything similar, as it’s starting to scare me a bit. I’m well aware of neuropathy and restless leg syndrome, but I think a part of me is fighting against accepting that that’s what it could be. I refused to call my GP because I was worried he’d just put me on painkillers and leave it at that, when really I’m more concerned about the cause of the pain than the actual pain itself.

I’d really appreciate any help that anyone could give me. Thank you!!!

Hi Bronagh,

I would suggest visiting your doctor for an accurate diagosis. It does seem a bit early in your life with T1 to be experiencing severe neuropathy but it can happen. I injured a disc in my lower back 7 years into my life as a T1 and eventually had two surgeries, so maybe it could be a different reason than neuropathy.
I hope you are able to find the source of your pain.

Rich

Thanks a lot for your help Rich, I think I’ll give it a few days and see if it eases off at all, and if not then I’ll do that. Hope you’re coping okay after your surgeries.

Thanks a lot for your help Debb. What you’ve gone through with rls sounds headwrecking but I’m glad that the requip has helped a little bit. Maybe at some point in the future they’ll find something new to treat it and you’ll get your sleep ins again. I can totally understand missing them though…I rarely get sleeping in anymore because my BG is always either too low or too high in the mornings, meaning that I wake up early feeling dizzy or just plain awful lol.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help!

Hi Bronagh,
I am sorry about the leg pain you are going through. I cannot speak to that, but wanted to say something about the early morning blood sugar problem. I usually don’t ever get up anymore with my blood sugars too high. I had been able to really get them under control by tweaking my Lantus. But for the past two weeks I occasionally have had a problem with waking up too low due to some other health problems that I am going through. I am now keeping one of those little bottles (glucose shots) by the bed and if I wake up all sweaty and shaky I take just a little sip from it and lie there in bed for a while. I only use just a little bit of it so I don’t go too high, but it makes it easier to be able to get up and get around to take care of all the other needs to get the day started. This is just a thought. You probably already have your routine worked out. But if it helps then I am glad. My best to you with the leg problem.

Hey Saundra, it’s funny you should mention that because I just started to do that a few days ago and so far it’s helping a bit. Thanks a lot for your help though :slight_smile:

Hi Bronagh,
During adolescents, I use to get terrible calf pain. I asked my doctor about it and was told that it was due to having high blood sugars for a long period of time. This was pre blood glucose meters, so I have no idea what my sugars were, but I am guessing they were high. However, there could be truth to that. For all I know, it could have been growing pains. I remember being really scared and relieved when the doctor told me that the pain was not an indication of long term damage. When I started eating better the pain went away. Thankfully I have not had that pain in years. Hope you figure out what is going on.

Thank you so much for all the help. It’s eased off a little since yesterday, so I’m hoping it’s gone all together within the next few days. However, if it’s still as bad, I’ll see my doctor and mention some of the things to him that have been said here. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Bronagh,
I had this problem a couple of years ago. My doctor said it’s not likely to be neuropathy, since neuropathy would lead to numbness, and I absolutely felt a sensation. I was tested anyway, and that wasn’t the culprit.

Do you inject insulin in your legs? I think the culprit with me might have been the buildup of scar tissue in my legs and thighs. I could feel hard spots on my legs, and could also see “bald spots”, where body hair stopped growing. After I stopped using my legs (and also switched to a pump!), they started feeling more normal and the hair grew back as it should.

But it was a slow process. It may take a month, or several months - but it will reverse itself (if that is the problem!) Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the help Scott! I used my legs when I was younger, but stopped a few years ago and changed to my tummy. I would still use my legs sometimes though, so maybe that could be something to do with it - I hadn’t even thought of that. I’m going to get in touch with my doctor soon to see what’s up with it, but thanks a lot for the help :slight_smile: