Let me introduce myself

Thank you for the warm welcome I’ve received since joining! I thought I’d tell you a bit about how I come to be here.

Because my grandfather died of diabetes, I’ve been asking my PCP to check me for it for several years. In the meantime, my father was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. In December 2008 my A1c was 6.2 and I decided to ignore my doctor’s advice to “wait and see what happens”. I got a meter and began testing and found that, although my fasting glucose was quite normal, my post-prandials were pretty darned high, although not over 200. I’ve been normal weight most of my life but had gained 15 lbs in the past 6 or so years, so I got to work on losing the extra poundse. I’ve always been active so didn’t make any changes there.

By February 2009 I’d lost the 15 lbs but noticed that it was getting harder, not easier, to control my BGs. I’d had autoimmune thyroid disease for 20 years, but in February I found out I had thyroid cancer and had the thyroid removed. I lost another 15 lbs after the surgery, leaving me nearly underweight. BG control got harder, too, and strangely erratic. I’d have great control on my low-carb diet and then, without changing diet or exercise, I’d suddenly find my glucose levels higher both before and after meals. This see-sawing continues to this day along with periods where I have to eat hearty to keep my weight up and then periods where I have to watch the weight or it starts to climb. This makes it interesting to figure out a diet!

I’m still having difficulty getting my thyroid levels to normal and think that might have something to do with all of this but won’t really know until that actually happens. My endo seems to think it’s unrelated.

In December 2009 requested a test for LADA which was negative. My current endo has suggested that I might have MODY but it seems as though testing for that is expensive and not very conclusive unless you happen to have one of the few versions that they actually test for. And since I can still maintain pretty normal glucose levels it seems I can wait on this one.

I’d love to hear from anyone who’s experienced anything like what I describe. I’m happy to have found tudiabetes and look forward to getting to know this community!