Life Change

I can’t say I didn’t see it coming, diabetes is present on my dad’s side of the family, and that’s who I take after. But damn I wasn’t expecting to hear that. I’ve been running around like a chicken with my head cut off because I have no idea what to do. Hell, the doctor I went to doesn’t know what to do, he told my I was diabetic probably type 2 (he couldn’t tell) wrote me a perscription, and that was it. So on top of having not a clue I have to find a primary physician that has one because my blood sugar is out of control, it’s been staying in the 300 area, even when I haven’t eaten. I never thought I would have to make a major lifestyle change so fast. I can really count my blessings though. My boyfriend is making all the changes with me (he’s even quitting smoking with me, thats some love right there), his mother also has diabetes and is going to help me with my diet until I can get a doctor, my parents are helping me pay for everything, gathering up information, and have recruited my aunt to help me find a doctor; and my friends are just keeping my feet on the ground. And now there are a plethora of other people on this website that have been there and have wisdom to dish out. I won’t lie, I’m scared shitless, I’ve never had to make so many changes so fast, but in the long run I think I’ll be ok.

Hello, my name’s Deanna, I’m a college student, and I have diabetes (possibly type 2 I don’t know).

Deanna, you should definitely get tested for what type of diabetes you have. Many people are mistakenly diagnosed as type 2 when they are actually LADA. You should ask for a c-peptide test (which tests how much insulin your body produces) and a GAD antibody test (which tells you if there is an autoimmune reaction happening in your body again the cells that produce insulin). These tests help determine if you could be LADA or type 2. The sooner you know, the better.

We are here for you-- so turn to us with ANY questions!!!

I’m glad that your boyfriend is being so helpful-- it will make the process much easier for you!

Hey, Deanna. Glad to hear you have support from both your family and your boyfriend. As a college student, you have a lot to deal with even without the diagnosis. Getting a good doctor is important, as well as the dietary changes and learning to test your blood glucose levels. There are a few tests that your doctor should run which can help clarify what type of diabetes you have and how best to treat it. The biggies are the “C peptide” test and the “GAD antibody (GADA)” test; there is also a test for blood insulin levels. High insulin levels suggest Type 2 diabetes and/or insulin resistance; GAD antibodies suggest an autoimmune response or Type 1 diabetes (often called Type 1.5 or LADA – Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults – when it happens to adults). There are also some genetic tests that can be run to determine whether you have one of several specific types of diabetes called “MODY” – Mature Onset Diabetes of the Young. Knowing exactly what type of diabetes you have will help the doctors come up with the best treatment for you. Also see if you can get a referral to a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) to help you learn more about how to manage diabetes.

And of course, please ask questions and learn as much as you can.

I was treated for Type 2 for over 2 years without success. I am Type 1 LADA and handeling things much better.The only characteristic of LADA I dont have is a lean body build, figures, but I am still working on that.This website definitly helps you get through the crazy stuff and realize there are many others like you,and it is a managable disease.