List your movies/tv shows or books that include diabetic roles

I cannot even tell you how many people asked me if I’d ever seen that movie when I was pregnant with my 1st child. And I’d get a “Don’t you know you’ll die?!” Seriously people? Guess it didn’t bother me too much, I went on to have 2 more kiddos. I dislike that movie with great intensity.

I completely forgot about that part of the movie.

Private Practice - Season 2 Episode 10

Cooper the pediatrician has a little diabetic boy as a patient. He was having infections in his infusion site and some other stuff. His father had taken him from his mom. Cooper figured all of this out through his crafty detective skills in finding out that the boys insulin pump was registered under another name. (if I recall it correctly)

The synopsis is funny to read too. Maybe you can find it on Hulu.
http://abc.go.com/shows/private-practice/episode-guide/worlds-apart…

you can see this full episode on you tube- pretty good

Some Kind of Normal

Great book!

Description:
How far would you go to save the life of someone you love? This is the question the Babcock family struggles with when 12-year-old Ashley is diagnosed with diabetes, which quickly turns deadly. A day or two in the hospital stretches into months as the doctors explore every medical alternative to find a way to cope with the mounting complications, but Ashley continues to deteriorate. If faith can cure Ashley, the folks at First Baptist Church are sure they have more than enough to keep her alive. But as Babs watches her daughter’s life and death struggle and sees her family start to unravel, she turns to the Internet and science to find a solution the doctors say isn’t there.

From a similar thread on dlife.com

Alma (1997)
Documentary film in which main subject has diabetes.

Big Nothing (2006)
Agent Hymes, nicknamed The Eye, has diabetes and the lead characters decide to kill him by forcing him to eat sugar until he dies.

Bread & Roses (2000)
Character Rosa is married to man who has diabetes and there is financial hardship because of it.

Brokedown Palace (1999)
Father of main character Alice has diabetes.

Chocolat (2000)
Judi Dench portrays a grandmother with diabetes. “At the end, through the metaphor of chocolate, people are able to embrace a free lifestyle and sexual freedom and reject repression of all kinds. And that wasn’t available to the woman with diabetes. Well, it was, but at a price,” she says of Dench’s character, who dies of complications from diabetes presumably brought on by hanging out in the chocolate shop instead of adhering to a healthier diet.

Click (2006)
Henry Winkler plays Ted, the father of Adam Sandler’s main character Michael Newman. Ted has diabetes.

Con Air (1997)
A prison parolee, played by Nicolas Cage, and another convict, whom he befriends, are being transported on a maximum-security plane with some of the country’s most dangerous criminals. After the plane is skyjacked, Baby O, who has diabetes, doesn’t receive a scheduled insulin shot, and his syringes are destroyed during in-flight chaos.

Derailed (2005)
Lead male character’s daughter has diabetes and third kidney transplant has failed.

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
The bank manager has diabetes.

Gubra (2006)

It Runs in The Family (2003)
Wife of Kirk Douglas character has diabetes and is on dialysis.

Jerry and Tom (1998)

La Débandade (aka Hard Off) (1999)
Lead male character has diabetes.

Mad Money (2008)
When Character Jackie Truman (Katie Holmes) drops her purse, an insulin needle is among the items co-workers Bridget Cardigan (Diane Keaton) and Nina Brewster (Queen Latifah) help her to retrieve. Unaware of Jackie’s diabetes, they assume she is a drug addict. Go-with-the-flow Jackie never corrects them, feeling that their show of concern makes the deception worthwhile.

Meeting Daddy (2000)

Memento (2000)
Main character’s wife has diabetes and is killed by his giving her overdose of insulin shots.

Nothing in Common (1986)
Jackie Gleason portrays the father, a man who’s estranged from his family while grappling with his diagnosis.

Panic Room (2002)
The young character, Sarah, has diabetes and experiences an episode of low blood glucose (hypoglycemia) while trapped in the panic room with her mother.

Phonies Beware! (1956)
Short film in FDA launches investigation after diabetes patient dies after using a drug claimed to be a cure for diseases such as diabetes.

Scarecrow Gone Wild (2004)
Teen with diabetes goes into diabetic coma during hazing incident and becomes killer scarecrow.

Soul Food (1997)
Family matriarch Mamma Jo has diabetes.

Steel Magnolias (1989)
Many moviegoers recall Julia Roberts in the movie with beads of sweat on her lip and brow, fighting an offer of orange juice from Sally Field during a severe hypoglycemic episode in Truvy’s Salon. It was arguably the most famous scene depicting a person with diabetes in a major motion picture.

The General (1998)
The true story of Martin Cahill, a famous Irish gangster, played by Brendan Gleeson, who has type II diabetes.

The Godfather III (1990)
Character Michael Corleone has diabetes.

The Witches (1990)
The grandmother, Helga, is diagnosed with diabetes.

Warlock (1989)
Character Kassandra is a type I person with diabetes. Her syringe in the end helps destroy the warlock.

ER, season 12 Episode 1 - parents are searching for their missing diabetic son…

Also from ER, I forget the characer’s name…The nurse who had a pre-teen son who was diabetic,?She and her child were featured on several epidodes, cannot remember she nor the son 's character names… She dated Luka, the handsome Croatian doc, and she and her boy lived with him.Is this the episode you are mentioning? When the son ran away without his insulin and ended up in moderate DKA in an out-of town ER with a blood sugar of 357, or 375 after 3 days with no insulin? I remember the numbers, because the boy said he survived by not eating, moving around a lot, and “drinking a lot of water”… I was amazed, because I think I would be comatose after three days with no insulin.

God Bless,
Brunetta

I recall soap opera characters who had type one diabetes:
1.There was a teenage boy on the long-running CBS soap,“The Young and the Restless” around 2000, 2001named Raul Gutierrez ( sp?) who when into DKA slowly. He did not know what was wrong with him , and not been diagnosed. ( or had he been diagnosed and was trying to hide it? I cannot remember).He was alone in an apartment and his friends left him, thinking he had the flu. I remember watching him getting and sicker until he became comatose, and the friends sent to the police to check on him , as they had not seen him for 3 days. The paramedics discovered he hadfa blood glucose of 1500!!! I had never heard of a blood glucose that high!!! His diabetes and management was mentioned as a focal point of several epidoes following, and then he and his diabetes kind of faded away…

1. Another “fade away” happened on the CBS soap opera maybe 6-7 years ago:Was it “The guiding Light?” or " As the World Turns?", whichever one just went off the air recently. Anyway , this teenage boy, named “Rafe” ( short for Rafael; he too,was Latino) was type one and a runaway , a bad boy whose mother shows up in town to tell handsome main star cop that she got pregnant with his child 16 years ago.
    Now she wants his help with the recalicitrant, rebellious teen. I forget the mom and dad’s characters’s name. Well, Rafe, despite having a Dad who is a detective, gets arrested, breaks out of jail, runs away for weeks without insulin and all are worried. He comes back, reforms, falls in love with one of Reva’s grandaughters( Reva was this soap opera’s matriarch and multiple married multiple lover to many)… Rafe is shown learning to manage life and diabetes… He gets falsely accused again and runs away to protect girl friend who did the crime, but when he returns a second time, and is cleared of the charges, nothing is ever said about him being diabetic. Mom even has a cry because he did not show up for his 18th birthday party for which she has prepared a fully frosted Huge 2 layer cake( yes she cooked, it, and decorated it, She did not order it from the bakery!!) Evidently Rafe got “The cure” when he went on the lam…

Does anybody remember these story lines?

God Bless,
Brunetta

I remember Raul. I use to watch Y&R a lot back then. Actually, I think the year that it happened was a year prior to my journey to diabetes. Maybe I should have payed more attention to the Soap Opera instead of my dimwitted doctor who missed my diagnosis for months.

Ugh…

Was her name Sam??

Wasn’t there an episode when Luka first meets her son and takes him to the arcade and gets him hopped up on food and sugar. When he brings her kid back to the ER…evidently with a high BS, Sam gets ticked off and asked if Luka had noticed her sons behavior.

I thought the same thing about the kid running away.

Yes, Christine, her name was Sam. Her diabetic son kind of faded away … Maybe he went off to college?

God Bless,
Brunetta

I remembered another one…

Touched by an Angel - a teenage girl is diagnosed with type 1. She plays volleyball and tries to hide it from her friends and teammates. He father can’t bring himself to help with the injections and fingersticks in the middle of the night. The mom is doing it all and the sister has her own struggles with being left out.

Its strange that I even saw this because I have only watched that show a handful of times. My apologies, I am running on. Been up with a very sick child the whole night.

Lol…I think it was a school for troubled kids. (I was a devoted follower of that show)

I am off to church now. Will be in prayer for your little one. and will put your names in the prayer box so our intecessory prayer members can pray too.

God Bless you

Wasn’t there a pre-teen boy named Raul also in the tv show Doc…who was dx???

That’s sweet. Thanks. Bless you too. :wink:

I haven’t seen that show.

The tv series “Doc” starred Miley Cyrus’ dad Billy Ray Cyrus in the leading role of a transplanted country doc in NY City. The boy, “Raoul” was his young neighbour. (who in one of the last episodes, became DKA and dx with type 1.

Just finished a bio about a ballerina with diabetes. The Sugarless Plum Was interesting and informative. I have also ordered The Breakthrough due out in October.