Looking for your best advice and support

Hello fellow T1 Families,

I’m in the process of writing my first book. My intention is to raise awareness of the control we have in our lives in the midst of what seems like uncontrollable circumstances. I hope to raise awareness of T1 Diabetes, as well as money for the cure.

I would like to ask two things:

1.) Could you share with me the most difficult aspect you have found dealing with

T1 and how you have successfully dealt with it?

2.) I would like to invite you to join my facebook fan page. The more interest from our community of

parents I can show… the more interest I will get from a prospective Publisher. http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Cure-for-Emma-by-Julie-Colvin/235045598606?ref=mf

I am currently working on the second draft of my manuscript www.acureforemma.com and hope to incorporate a section with inspirational stories from other T1 families.

Thank you in advance for your stories and support.

Most Sincerely,

Julie C

Great job with your efforts to raise awarenss and money for the cause.

My daughter is 9 years old and was diagnosed about a year ago. She is doing well but has her moments of frustration. When she is frustrated I feel horrible because I have said (and hopefully will never say it again) that “I know”. She is upset and says very adamantly that I do not know. That I do not understand what it’s like to be her. I realized right away how right she was. I tell her she is right that I don’t understand what it’s like to be her. I don’t know what to say at this point. As a parent we are suppossed to have answers for our children or at least advice. I tell her I love her and that and I just want her to grow up healthy. Sometimes she agrees, but there have been times however, and I’m sure there will be more, that she she says she doesn’t care. I want her to care so badly. And she does most of the time, but I don’t want her to stop caring. I don’t want to scare her either. It’s a fine line between helping guide in the right direction and taking total control and not letting her make healthy decisions for herself and setting her up with healthy habits. Sometimes I feel like I’m helping, Other times I feel like I am doing damage by wanting her to happy for the here and now. Unfortunately we need to think about the later as well.
Best of luck with your book endeavor, I think as a parent we are always willing to discuss or swap stories about our kids.

Renee,

My daughter is now 11 (7 when dx). I think you just wrote out my most difficult struggle!!
I don’t want to dwell on the negative aspects of this disease… but we must be vigilant. I want her to take over more responsibility, but I want her to be a kid too. Perhaps the most helpful thing we can do in this situation is exactly this… talking about it with other people who understand. Sharing that with our children.

Now, if i could get someone to help with night time blood sugar checks, I’d be all set. :slight_smile: Thank you for sharing, I suspect we are not alone with this frustration. xx

Good job! Funny how some of us pour our learning out into pages upon pages of written words. I could not make sense out of everything I had to learn to take care of my son (now almost 3, Dx’d at 18 months) unless I wrote a book about it, so I teamed up with an endocrinologist and my former employer to write a question-and-answer type parent’s guide that had the specific goal of filling in the blanks when it came to dealing with T1D in a toddler (most books assume that the child can at least talk…). I sent it off to the publisher just about a month ago, waiting on copyedits and proofs. My book could not be more different from yours, but I give you props for being able to bare your soul… I took the other route because needed a little more distance from my subject to be able to write about it. I look forward to reading the complete book.

Thank you Elizabeth… I’ve noticed you over on my facebook fan page. Please post your book on my site when it’s ready to go. Thank you for your support… we’re all in this together. :)))) xx

Hello facebook friend. I will ask my daughter her opinion and give mine soon. Take care and good to see you here.