Losing insurance

If the ACA is repealed without a reasonable replacement what would you do. I for one think any effort on this would be like Bush’s try to privatize social security which failed, however can you just stop taking meds. What would you do if it happened.

1 Like

It won’t be repealed, leaving us “high & dry.” There will be a replacement. Making the mistake of compounding an already bad situation (ACA) would be disastrous to this administration after promising to make the repeal/replace a priority. In addition, we know that much of what we worry about doesn’t come to pass. So I hope you will stay informed and keep taking care of yourself. I believe we will be ok.

I’m not taking your comment or concern lightly. I’m a T1 and need insulin that I cannot afford without insurance. I just truly, in my heart of hearts know there will be a replacement. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So far the “replacements” I have seen floated will be devastating to our community. At the very least to those who depend on the “pre-existing condition” clause. But also to basics like test strips and regular check ups and, of course—the dreaded birth control issue because women are clueless how to take care of themselves.

And will it really be simultaneous? Doesn’t look like it.

So sink or swim, you are on your own thanks to this administration…Don’t want to go there and get political? Well I see no other way to keep our beloved members safe…It IS political and it IS nasty…Good luck…

3 Likes

It’s not often I strongly react reading this forum. this is one of the times.

Judith,

It clear that you have strong feelings, and I am not sure what replacement ideas you have seen floated, but if the ACA is repealed, you will most likely have access to the Oregon risk pool which would undoubtedly be restarted. While this isn’t the cheapest insurance I have ever owned, it surely was the most complete. In fact the total cost for my family would be lower than our existing post-ACA insurance due to the amazing prescription benefit. Hopefully you can enjoy the nice, although wet PNW day.

1 Like

I’m sure you are right, Chris. Oregon has been creating a safe place for its citizens in many ways that I am proud of----including trusting women to make decisions about their own bodies. But it is only one state and I have friends and family members all over the country…

Today I was reading that congress may be giving up on repealing it entirely, but they are finding ways to make it much more difficult for people to apply—to prove they need it. There were several new regulations involved meaning more paperwork and more barriers. I’m sorry I can’t remember more specifics. I’ll see if I can find the article…Blessings to you…

All the bombastic rhetoric aside, our political system doesn’t work that way in actual practice. Outright repeal is extremely—I repeat, extremely—unlikely. The probable outcome will be some sort of repair and restructuring. What form that will take, and who it will be good (or bad) for are of course up in the air. But that’s the way to bet.

As Reagan famously said, “there is nothing as permanent as a temporary government program”.

I totally understand the “process”, my friend. I am not quite sure the “process” that we all, across a broad political spectrum can respect, is going to survive the current assault… Fingers crossed. Period. Really. Fingers crossed is my only hope. Beads said, Etc…And good luck…

1 Like

Ummm—I hope you get that was sarcasm. I am not always “ept” at expressing such things on line…

2 Likes