Losing Weight for Type 1

http://eatingacademy.com/category/weight-loss this site is great - very good info- just like they are all saying less carbs = less insulin = less wt. ---- talk to your doctor about lowering your long lasting insulin (I noticed you’re on a pen) that way you can reduce your carb intake without the ugly lows- once you’re on less insulin cutting all grains (wheat, corn, soy) also any major source of sugar (yes this includes fruit lots of carbs in fruit, try for maybe one serving or less a day and get that from low carb berries, forget about apples and bananas) also give up some of the starchy veggies like peas yams and wht potatoes as eating these will not be low carb- what to eat you ask- lots of fat and meat and low carb veggies like broccoli - and some nuts

also check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1xtNpOvAj

I also think a low carb diet will help everything, not just weight loss. I don't think you need to load carbs for a low. Do an experiment and see how much glucose tabs raise you without any food and then just take them when you're low, retest 15 minutes later to see if you are ok and then eat a low carb high protein snack.

I agree with you mybustedpancreas! I gained 5lbs in the last couple months I haven’t changed my eating habits & have upped my excercise by a lot, so that means lots of lows :frowning: which means I raid my pantry lol I’m trying to eliminate the lows but it’s really hard but im sure I’ll figure it out sooner or later :slight_smile:

Ok, so I know how hard this is. I'm on a pump so carb to insulin ratio. Plus also blood sugar to insulin ratio. Still blood sugar all over the place and now I add walking to lose weight ?!?! My doc says to suspend pump just before walking but I still go low, and then need to take in way too many carbs, so even though I'm walking I'm still slowly but surely gaining weight !!! Help ! What to do, What to do ? In the past to stay thin I've played the " keep my blood sugar running high to stay thin" game. but after 40 years of Type 1, I no longer feel this is safe. So, I feel your pain, but really don't know myself what to do.

thanks, any suggestions are welcome !

I've been struggling with weight the past several years and had a lot of frustration with getting lows due to exercise and activity. (The whole question of, why should get on the elliptical for an hour if I'm only going to have to slam a bunch of sugar afterwards when my blood sugar drops?!) But after 27 years of MDI, I've recently switched to a pump. And I think the best thing about it is the ability to turn down the basal rate for an hour or two during exercise and activity. I love that I can get a work out and not drop and not feel worn out from dropping so low so fast.

Talk to your doc about a pump and how it can work for you.

I have also been through this same thing. Why exercise when I have to eat more calories than I just burned? My advice would be to employ the rule of 15 for lows, test, test and test some more and figure out what your patterns are related to exercise. I don't suspend my pump but I decrease the basal rate 1 hour before I start or for however long it is I plan on working out. And depending on what the number is before I start determines whether or not I have a carb snack prior to starting. And I never exercise with active insulin on, your setting yourself up for a low.

It can be tough but from what I've seen us T-1 diabetics refuse to give up. I made a decision to lower my suppertime insulin shot. I used to raise or lower it depending on the meal, now I take the same amount every day and if the meal is high-carb then I eat less of it. It didn't seem like a very big change but I have dropped from 205 to 191 over the last four months. Also, I started swimming at night (7:30 ish) and then I had to lower my insulin even more because otherwise I would be low all night..

One more thing... My Son pointed out that after exercise our muscles use glucose to facilitate the repair process. I wish I could be more specific but the repair process has too many variables ie... which muscle group, how long was the workout, how are you feeling physically? emotionally? ......
If possible use a Dexcom CGM to become more familiar with the patterns in your blood sugar after meals, and during workouts.

Protein repairs muscles.

Thanks Jethro, your info is great ! And you're right, us Type 1 diabetics CANNOT give up ! I am on a Medronic pump and use a Contour Link to check my blood sugar which send wirelessly my blood sugar to my pump and then every two weeks I download my pump stats onto my computer and then email everything to my Endo. So he then emails me back with what changes to make on my pump. I used to figure all this out on my own but, now the doc is involved, so have less leeway to change things myself. I am trying just eating less carbs all the way around, or not putting the amount of carbs into my pump so therefore my pump is not giving me insulin if I don't put the carbs in. Trying more protein ? Maybe that will work.

I steadily gained weight as a T1 over the years. Was dx at 15 and now 52yo. Weight really started packing on in my 40’s = not surprising given reduced activity, increased work stress, and a woman reaching menopause. Took 50#s off on low CHO (30g/d) and only gained it back as I liberalized my diet. Now post menapause and gained A LOT of wt. New Endo = started Symlin. Hoping Symlin + Low CHO = significant loss over time. What level of success have other, older T1’s had using Symlin for reducing insulin dose/d and weight loss?

Hi all,
I have experienced everything here that has been mentioned. Was diagnosed at age 8 and this coming up August will be 51 years. Also diagnosed at age 13 with Hashimotos and have struggled all of my life with the thyroid problems which of course affect the diabetes. The last 5 or 6 years the thyroid levels have changed consistently from high to low. Tried the method of “refusing to pump for carbs” and “letting it stay higher than lower” but today I am sorry for it. My eyes are not my own and am struggling now to keep my eyesight. One thing I will say about diets and trying to lose weight… the only thing that has ever worked for me is the DASH diet. I lost inches and pounds within just a few short days. Was on the diet for as long as I could do it and did lose about 13 pounds in a month’s time. I had the bright idea of trying to exercise and build muscle while on the diet which plunged me into a hypoglycemic episode. Needless to say I was afraid afterwards and went back to trying to eat “right” with some sensible carbs… My doctor wanted me to stay on the DASH diet as he said it was the best diet for type 1 diabetics. Am going to try once again as I liked the way I felt while on the diet. Just thought I would share it with you to see if anyone else had tried it.

i eat a low carb diet, i also, try to see how many glucose tabs raise me, without food,.

1 Like

Hi anon… how is that working for you? I have just never thought of that… thinking I might try for a week to see how it make me feel. Let me know.

Between the end of 2011 and beginning of 2013, I lost about 80lbs. Prior to that, I fought my weight not realizing I was also insulin resistant. After finding the right doctor, and trying various options, we found the right additions to decrease the resistance and adjust diet. My diet was a very strict low carb, sugar free for 3 years (I learned how to make all kinds of diet friendly dishes including pies, cakes, cookies and finding low carb breads, etc.).

After three years though, my weight started to fluctuate between 5 and 8 pounds and I could not get the last 25 off no matter what I did. In frustration, I decided to go drastic and did the low calorie, zero carb thing and was able to lose 25 pounds in 7 weeks. Finally got back into my size 3 :slight_smile: The diet SUCKS and you are hungry pretty much all the time but insulin was cut by over half and the weight just fell off. I’m now in a “maintenance phase” and working to only eat under the calories I burn throughout the day and still keeping to very very low carb/sugar free. Let’s see how long I can keep it off!

1 Like

When I was first Dx’d “they” wouldn’t release me from hospital until I weighed what they thought appropriate. Well that put me 30 lbs over my working weight. Granted the weight loss form the undx’d T1 was serious, I got down to 95 lbs! But…I did have weight guidelines for work. What I found worked was of course eating low carb but also I only allowed myself to eat when my bg was between 80-90. If I wanted something anyway, I got mad at the meter. I am back in working form (but too old for the job now - but that’s okay).

I also count all carbs as carbs (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts are carbs) and don’t bother with the “net carbs” thing.

Advice about checking your basal doses is very good to follow through on.

can you write exactly what that zero carb thing is. I want to lose 12 pounds in 8 weeks :slight_smile: … Thanks

…lol okay not absolute zero however, the only carbs you are allowed are those found naturally in Iceberg or Romaine lettuce or in specific veggies like tomatoes (only 1.5 cups twice a day). It winds up being literally like 10 carbs a day or so. What you are allowed is very very limited. I’m on maintenance now which means I can add additional items including some good fats (avocado, olive oil, etc) but no bad carbs or starches (stuff like nuts or nut butters is okay). Needless to say, my insulin requirements are very minimal and I weigh less now than I did when I was in my late teens.