Low-carb and the ADA

I found this article on Diabetes in Control

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/articles/diabetes-news/11934-low-carb-diets-are-okay

They're obviously still hesitant about it, telling docs that they should monitor blood lipids, kidney function etc. -- as if they shouldn't be doing in in ALL diabetics!! But it's a step forward!

Natalie ._c-

Every time I go to the doc, he tests for lipids, kidney, and liver function. Monitors my BP & checks my neuropathy. As for diet, most meals are under 60 carbs. Any higher then I'm using more insulin (more cost to me). Thanksgiving excluded! Best wishes for the New Year.

Wow. Yes, it's a start, albeit a baby step. The most important statement I saw from ADA there was "it's important for patients to choose a plan that works for them". No brainer. Unfortunately the piece that's missing is patient education. If people aren't given options, how can they 'choose a plan that works for them"?

Total focus on weight loss from the ADA. Not a peep, at least in this article, about BG control.

LC for a year? Huh?
"What happens if, after a year, your blood sugars are good -- should you quit?" she [Vernon] said. "We don't take people off their medicine if it's working. It's not fair to hold this diet to a standard that nothing else is held to."

No ranting today :) Thanks for finding this Natalie.

"She warned that people with diabetes could experience bad outcomes if their doctors don't have the right information. "If you drop your carbs and don't change your medication, it's very likely you'll have too much medicine for your body and you'll have side effects," she said. "Then the diet gets blamed when it's not the diet's fault at all." LOL, thank you Sherlock!

I think they monitor lipids, kidney function, etc. in anyone who goes to see the doc?

Yeah those are pretty standard blood tests, and are probably included in just about anyone's annual physical blood work.