Low carb diet but extra high glucose with carbs

I follow the Bernstein regimen of no more than 30 carbs per day. The first thing that happened was that my line was amazing - I had never had such good control. The second thing was what you experience. You become fat adapted and the body just can’t deal with the carbs. I am incredibly carb sensitive now. Low carb is no panacea but it is the only way t get decent control. However, it is definitely an ‘in for a penny in for a pound’ proposition. One of the important lessons is that you NEVER cheat. I mean why would you? You know what is going to happen :slight_smile:
My A!C is now 4.9 and I am so happy with that I never want to go back. I train quite a bit and play squash and it is pretty amazing how I don’t need to eat before or during exercise. In fact, I usually have to take a small bolus shot before or immediately after exercise. I am lucky, perhaps, because I do not miss carbs in the slightest.

4 Likes

The next to no carb diets/low carbs diets have not really done much for me. My blood sugars climb through the roof (200s, 300s+) and I lose no weight. I actually might gain a pound or two. I figure for everything my body is using and releasing the stored energy, the liver throws out sugar; thus, I need more insulin to (re)store. So in theory back to zero loss. I tend to eat low carbs, low calories and I exercise daily. I have ran 7 miles on a few days a week. The bonus feature with low/no carbs diets is the headache. I am not sure if low carb diets are healthy for diabetics.

These guys at masteringdiabetes.org talk about LCHF diets causing insulin resistance and the answer is to do a very low fat Whole food plant based diet because insulin resistance is from the body storing fat in non-fat cells, like the muscle & liver cells. The guys at masteringdiabetes.org are looking to make lots of money dispelling this info, but scientific studies do show that eating animal products & fats (other than those still within healthy Whole plants like nuts & seeds) lead to insulin resistance. Check out Dr. Gregor’s nutritionfacts.org to find out more about it. He summaries nutrition studies that show the benefits of WFPB diet & also discusses of the dangers of LCHF (esp animal fat) diets & he gives out the info for free.

As a T1 diabetic with 100 lbs to lose & severe insulin resistance (obesity & T2 are common in my family so I’ve got a double whammy) I’ve been trying to do this Whole Foods plant based dietary approach for a few months & do see my insulin ratios & basal rates seriously decrease after only three weeks of 95% adherence to eating a variety of Whole plants & avoiding animal products, added fats, & junk food. Because diets of any sort have always been a challenge for me, in this case, I struggle with giving up animal products & junk consistently. I suspect though that anyone disciplined enough to stick with a low carb diet has the will to stick with a low fat Whole food plant based diet. And there’s lots of studies demonstrating that a WFPB diet helps prevent, eliminate or reverse many chronic and deadly diseases. See nutritionfacts.org for info on that too.

I’m not totally sold on that either. I think somewhere between LCHF and plant-based might be the best bet. Just my opinion though.

I tried the plant based/vegan diet for several months. I was hungry all the time. It didn’t seem to matter how much I ate. I made an extra effort to eat a lot of plant-based protein foods, but it didn’t seem to matter. I was always hungry.

That being said, I did feel good most of the time… just also hungry. I felt less tired overall- especially during the afternoon after lunch. I think you’d have to eat all the time to make this type of diet work (otherwise… hunger). That’s time consuming and expensive!!!

2 Likes

For me, low carbs works and fast acting carbs don’t.

1 Like

Most sites that advocate a plant based diet do a lot of cherry picking of the science. Of course it can work for some people, but I don’t think it’s a good approach for most. There’s almost a religious aspect to a lot of sites like that. Science approaches things by trying to find out information and if something invalidates a theory then another theory is chosen. For a site like you linked to, if you somehow showed that plant based diets were harmful to you, instead of trying to find another theory, they would just attempt to explain it away and keep promoting a plant based diet. That is akin to the way that religion deals with things as well. People are much better off to avoid sites like that.

1 Like

I also follow a low carb moderate protein and fat diet and get a high spike after meals. I have found several ways of countering it but none of them are 100% effective: including a good deal of dietary fiber in a meal; making sure I include a healthy fat with everything I eat; bolusing if I just have protein and fat and no carbs (the timing of the breakdown differs from carbs but bg still increases) and trying to take insulin sufficiently prior to any thing I eat so that the insulin and the glucose meet up at the same time. Something that was most effective for me - and I need to get back to - was whole glucose counting which meant taking the grams of protein and dividing that by half and adding it to my carb insulin dosage, then adding extra time on a combo or square bolus for the additional fat so there was insulin ready to act when the fat and protein were finally metabolized. It is hard to duplicate mechanically what the body does naturally, because we are never able to realize all of the various other hormonal and metabolic factors influencing our blood glucose control.

Yes, it happens. My own interpretation is that although we tend to look at injected insulin staying in our body for a short time, there is really some kind of overall effect - a longer-term “basal effect”. So if I took only very small amounts of insulin for a while, because I was eating very low-carb, and then eat a high-carb food, even if I inject the amount of insulin I would have normally needed for that amount of carbs, it won’t do the trick. The fact that there is a lower level of insulin floating around my body affects the response to those carbs.
{On another note, this is (according to my theory) also why it’s hard to really get the correct basal amount right - because by definition when you are fasting in order to test how much basal you need, your body acts differently from when you are eating normally and injecting boluses…}

2 Likes

Smart stuff.

1 Like