Low carb exercise?

In an attempt to level out my BG I will be trying out a low carb diet which for me will mean no more than 20 grams of carb per meal. what I am wondering is if being on such a diet will affect my ability to do strenuous exercise. I’m guessing I will have to up my carb intake before running/biking. For those on low carb diets, please share your experience regarding diet and exercise. Thanks!

Can’t give advice, but would love to see what others say…this is my big hold-up with going low-carb. I need to consume approximately 40-60g of carbs before a workout to avoid bottoming out while working out. 40 if I turn down or turn off my basal, 60 if I don’t.

I generally eat a piece of toast for breakfast and 1/2 sandwich at lunch, maybe a few pretzels if I’m running but not a ton of carbs, and run abou 20-30 miles/ week? I don’t usually have more than 10-15 pre-workout if I’m running > 7 miles and then will keep an eye on my CGM and have 5-10G every couple of miles while I’m running. I think the main reason I get tired is because I’m old, nothing to do w/ diabetes or BG or anything like that? :slight_smile:

Cool! I’m hoping to run my first marathon this year. I’m trying to plan how to dose and eat for it!

So you only eat one piece of toast for breakfast? anything else? What types of non carb things do you snack on? I’m giving up my chips and salsa :frowning: how about alcohol? do you have any occasional beer?

I stick fairly low carb usually 20-30 per meal same with snacks. I also have a different Lantus dosage for workdays(work is my work out). I tend to test and snack during work instead od carbing up before hand. Of course now whith the summer heat coming I have to figure a new dosage, did 80 carbs during a six hour shift in 85 degree weather on Sunday and was fighting to stay above 70 the whole shift,

Your not old just well aged

For snacking low carb I tend to do almonds and cashews but any nut tends to be pretty low carb. Beer wise I tend to drink dark heavy beers that I do small coverage for. I know they say don’t cover for booze but I still do a minimal coverage since I avoid yellow fizzy water.

I usually eat 30-40 (10-15 for breakfast, 5-10 for lunch, 15-20 for dinner for a total of only 3-4 units humalog a day) carbs per day and I exercise 20 minutes after every meal on a stationary bike three times a day after meals for a total of an hour a day. I run into lows doing this only a few times a week and just pop 1 glucose tab.
The only time I am tired is when my bg is high.

Wow! that is quite the routine!

I had a raised a similar question about this issue :
https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/carb-restriction-diets-and

lol yeah but my motto is less carbs=less insulin=less mistakes&weight gain. I am also in the process of trying to have another baby so my numbers have to be pretty much perfect and the post meal exercise makes a HUGE difference in postprandials.
Snacks are usually almonds, cheese, boiled egg whites as they help me get in my fat and protein while low carbing.

Hi Brian

I always load up on carbs before strenous exercise, but the amount I need varies quite a bit depending on what I am doing and how good of shape I am in. The more muscle I have the more insulin sensitive I become.

1 hr spin class: 30 grams (15 before class/15 during)
45 min run: 15 grams
30 min swim: almost nothing, maybe one bite of a banana

Oddly enough fast paced walking brings my blood sugar down better than any other form of exercise.
Good luck on your marathon training!

Hi Brian,
Love that you’re going low carb, it will definitely make your levels easier to control. While you’re at it, consider making sure those “carbs” only come from non-starchy vegetables (rather than grains such as toast, etc.). If you do this, your body will convert from running off of carbs, to running off of fat for energy. A diet full of animal protein, fats, and non-starchy veggies will give you long lasting energy which is great for both exercise and your blood sugars. (there’s also a long list of other benefits!). I am type 1, been eating this way over 2 years and will never eat a grain again. I have more energy than I ever thought possible and my blood sugars thank me every day. So, definitely look into this. Google “Paleo 2.0” for more info. Best of luck!
Joey

Thanks for all the great input everyone! Keep it coming!

Joey can you share what a typical day of meals and snacks looks like for you?

Sure thing -
8:30am Breakfast: 4 eggs, 4-7 pieces of bacon, coffee w/2 oz of heavy (grass fed) whipping cream
2:30pm Snack: grass-fed beef jerky, 1-2 ounces of raw cheese
6:30pm Dinner: steak & asparagus / pork chops & spaghetti squash / skin-on chicken thighs and roasted broccoli / grilled sausage and peppers… tonight we’re having grass-fed beef tacos in cabbage wraps topped with cheese and guacamole.

This works well for me, as I wake with a big appetite. My husband isn’t as hungry when he wakes and typically just has coffee w/heavy cream, and then has a big lunch and the same dinner as me. My breakfast is loaded with good fats, and keeps me full all day. It’s convenient as well as satiating! When we work out more often, we’ll both add a bit more protein and fat during the day, just according to our hunger.

Also, you don’t have to do “eggs” or a typical breakfast for breakfast. It just so happens that bacon and eggs is my most favorite meal ever so I eat it every single day. Don’t be afraid to grill up a nice steak for breakfast - protein is protein. Another great idea is to make twice as much dinner and eat the leftovers for breakfast. Tonight, I’m making a double batch of tacos and I’ll probably eat the leftovers as my snack tomorrow afternoon.

Dinner sounds awesome! I wish I was coming over! haha!

Are you concerned about cholesterol with a diet like that (2dozen+ eggs/wk)? how are you levels?

Nice to hear that you have lot s energy for exercise on this diet. Thanks again for sharing!

This question always comes up when telling someone about the benefits of a high fat / no grain diet.

Check out this great article from Mark Sisson: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/

Hi Joey

Interested in what kind of snacks you eat before a workout. If I don’t have something starchy I go to low.

Thanks
C.

Great question! I tend to have the same problem.