Low GI

When I was diagnosed, my dietician immediately put me on a low GI diet. She didn’t even consider a high protein, low carb version. I’m curious about this, because it appears as though few or no American diabetic websites endorse the low GI diet. What are the problems with it? Why is it not big in America?

Low GI diets may work for people with Type 2 who still have good insulin production. For those of us with Type 1 or 1.5, the carbohydrates will still hit the system and cause high BG, even if it’s a little later than with lower GI foods. For example, the number of carbs in brown rice is the same as with white rice. For me, white rice will cause a spike at 30 minutes and the brown might hit my blood stream at 45 minutes but the end result is the same. If low GI works for you, good luck, but make sure to test your BG at various times after eating to see if you are going high.

Well, I m not sure I am following a low GI diet but I am watching the glycemic index of the carbs I choose and I am finding that this helps reduce BG level peaks after eating. I am just a few weeks into this and I am finding that my fasting readign are coming down as well. I am Type-2 diagnosed six months ago and still finding my way. I am following a meal plan of carb distribution through the day of B45, S15, L45, S15, D45, S15. and about 200 calories.

If I understand correctly, a low GI diet can be high in protein and low in carb. Maybe you can get the best of all of them.

I was given the low GI diet as a Type 1. I understand that it’s pointless if it’s only a fifteen minute difference, but this is the graph I was shown:

It's a difference between having a lower curve, or having a spike and then a sudden drop. It's easier to have the lower curve, because you're more stable.

I wouldn’t take myself as a case study at all, as they’re not entirely sure of my diagnosis yet. I’m either an insulin-dependent Type 2, or a honeymooning Type 1. My doc is leaning towards Type 1. For me, I don’t need to take insulin when I eat low GI, but I do when I eat regular. For example, if I eat a baked potato I definitely need insulin, but if I eat sweet potato or baby potatoes I don’t.

Agreed with most of what the others have said. Using carbs with low GI doesn’t replace Carb counting entirely. But it helps – especially with type II’s who are making some insulin. My big problem in the USA is finding docs that are well informed about it (there was a lot of outrage about it a decade ago in the US). And finding products that are labeled.

In Canada, Australia, other parts, the products have the GI right on the label.

Then the problem is also, when you combine foods, the GI changes. It’s helpful to know about it, difficult to do.

I have T2 and a low GI diet doesn’t work for me. The Glycemic Index only follows BG levels for 2 - 3 hours - for people without diabetes. The glycemic load measures GI based on a more realistic serving size

For instance refried beans have a GI of about 35 and a GL of 13 - not too bad actually. But the reality is that I can eat 4 tablespoons of refried beans for lunch and won’t see a BG spike until about mid-morning the next day. According the GI and GL, I should be able to eat 1/2 cup blueberries, but I can’t. I have a BG spike within 1/2 hour. But, I can eat a cup of fresh strawberries and stay under 120 mg/dL.

Your mileage may vary . . .

I’m type 1 and try to eat low GI. My dietitian recommend a book by Dr. Brand-Miller. I can’t rmember the exact title but its about using GI to control diabetes. I find that my post prandial numbers are better when I eat low GI. One thing that suprised me was that 100% whole wheat bread is often high GI and I have noticed the same thing w/ my numbers. Adding some protein and fat to a carb has a tendency ot lower GI of a meal.
I’m not sure why its not big in the US, I do have a tendency to believe in the “corporate conspiracies theory” when it comes to food in this country.
I don’t eat low carb, I usually call it controlled carb- I average about 140g a day and my a1c is under 6.