Low sugar QUICK FIX = Glucose Tabs

I still use Glucose tabs. It started when I was diabulimic about 10 years ago. They were quick acting sugars and didnt increase my low calorie intake. Bad habit, I know, but even now that I’m over the diabulimic phase, I still use them. I think I just got used to them.

In fact, I plummeted to the 30s just a few hours ago and had to suck on three orange gluco tabs. I’m at 111 now. It’s good. :slight_smile: I mostly only use them when I’m at work where food is not handy (would have to ride the elevator for 7 floors to get a cold soda -my only food at my desk are protein bars and oatmeal)

So, I still use them.

i’ve been T1 for 50 years and until i stumbled on this site a couple months ago i never heard of glucotabs or glucagon or fast acting carbs. so … the reason i’ve never had them is a) i never knew and b) luckily i’ve never needed them. i’ve used a variety of things over the years to treat lows. for the last 10 years i’ve been carrying granola bars. they work great and keep me from those nasty rebounds. i’ve used jelly beans and m&ms too. as a kid in the '60s my mother gave me sugar cubes to carry in my pocket.
the bottom line is, there are a lot of choices and the best one is the one that works for you and with which you’re comfortable.

Sugar cubes in the 60s - now there is a warm spot in my heart. I did the same. I used to carry them in a baggy that got all crusty with sugar cube dust. I didn’t know glucose tablets existed until a few years ago, either. I had food with me when I suffered a low - really low - but it didn’t work as fast as the glucose tabs do - which I discovered later. I’m glad I have them now.

Actually, there are very good reasons to use glucose tabs instead of other sources of carbs for treating hypos. First, you really do want a simple carb, it is important to absorb it as fast as possible. Second, glucose (also called dextrose) is different than other simple carbs, it is a form of sugar that converts directly into blood glucose. Table sugar (sucrose) is actually a combination of glucose and fructose, so a glucose tab (or candy equivalent) is better than table sugar. Who needs the extra fructose anyway, it won’t affect your blood sugar directly and instead is just metabolized by your liver into triglycerides. It is also true that there are lots cheaper sources of glucose than “Glucose tabs.” I firmly believe that “Glucose tabs” are made nasty on purpose so you don’t chow down on them. Any candy that is listed as having it’s primary sweetening ingredient as glucose, dextrose, dextrose d-glucose, d-glucose or dextrose monohydrate should work great. I know that smarties, sweet tarts, and pixy sticks all are virtually all dextrose.

Three cheers for glucose tablets - even if they are lemon flavored - still my favorite - and even if they dredge up tastes of cleaning supplies.

I don’t like them because glucose tabs are a pain to eat with braces on. I always feel I’m going to break a bracket off.

Thanks, you bring of memories of a buddy of mine in college. He liked his beer in cans cause he liked the metal taste (those were the days of steel cans).

Hi
There are some new flavors of Glucose tabs at Walmart…brand is ReliOn in watermelon and Tropical mixed fruits…I just bought the watermelon today for my teenage son to try…right now we do skittles,starburst and I heard that “nerds” work fast. The Target brand Raspberry are not too bad…little chalky

well Dave,

The tab consistency is similar to antacids…chalky but you deal with it and say " not too bad". We have only been diagnosed a month…can you give me a chance here,Dave…maybe this is not a place for me

I know my husband hates the way they taste. He does keep some in his car just in case he doesn’t have anything else.

My three year old thinks they are great though! Ha ha. He ate a bunch of them one time.

Give the lady a break dave… the grammar police were supposed to check their badges at the door

It’s funny that I used to think that glucose tabs tasted horrible. Now I kind of like them! It’s funny what 6 years of diabetes will do to you. :slight_smile:

Yes, Watermelon is good. If I run out of Jelly Bellys and Skittles in the house , I do have watermelon tabs.

I think part of the key with the taste is that if you think of them as candy, they’re probably pretty lousy. I don’t think of glucose tabs as a “goody”, but just as some medicine I have to take to treat hypoglycemia. I take the “drug” for its effect not its flavor, and given that criteria I’ve definitely tasted worse medicine.

I don’t use them for the same reason others don’t…they taste just awful! In fact, they make me gag, and I can’t get them down.

I carry those starlight mints (red and white round things) and each one is 4g. I don’t like them enough to snack on them, but if I need to, I can chew a few of them quickly, so that’s what works for me.

Ruth

I like the raspberry ones from target too… but watermelon is the best :slight_smile:

Are you kidding? Chalky texture, sized for a giraffe or a duck, impossible to swallow, Pastels?, Good packaging though, I use the empty tubes for candy corns and circus peanuts. Its all about sugar, fast. You need to drink water with the glucose tabs or you’ll choke to death before you hit the hypoglycemic wonderland. Use high sugar content candy. Works faster, lot cheaper, easier to carry around.

Believe the little nutrition fact labels, not the big ones Glucose Tabs have 1-4 grams of sugar apiece, 5 tabs for 20g sugar., 5 circus peanuts 37grams. Plus the peanuts are soft and I do not believe they ever go bad.

Glucose tabs are great for mild hypoglycemia, but ya want some sugar on board and quick for the bigger dips.

Always check your BG while its coming up, it will help avoid a spike, and eat something lasting.

Glucose tabs are just marketing candy to people with Type 1.

MapleMom15…YOU are in the right place. Please dont let a member discourage you from posting your opinion/thoughts/questions. TuD is a great site to get the support and friendship that we all need when living with Diabetes. I apologize for his actions (really he should) but for the sake of all the other great members here…dont let one person steer you away.

We all really do what you to stick around. xo

Actually I have to give the +1 to you Arielle. I agree completely. I must be a weirdo too b/c I like the taste of them (the pina colada ones you get in the multi pack!? or the raspberry ones!? delish.). I also hate dealing w/ folks if I’m low who ask the “you’re never allowed to eat sugar ever again, so why are you eating candy!?..” comments to my already frustrating low. Knowing the exact amount of carbs I’m eating and having it hit my blood stream really quickly are benefits that I think surpass what some might call a chalky texture. I also think the petty drama is a little unfortunate as well…hopefully Christina has discovered the answer to the initial question upon which this post was based.

Three cheers for the pina colada flavored tabs. In my region, can only find that flavor in mixed tropical fruit large-size container at Kmart. I actually pick out the white ones and put in a smaller tube so I can savor that coconutty wonderfulness. Maybe you two, Arielle and Bradford, can help me lobby Dex4 to start manufacturing an all-pina, gallon-size pack!!

Back in the day, on long-acting insulins, I followed the treat + snack rule to treat lows. Nowadays, using rapid-acting insulin in a pump, as long as I don’t have much IOB or a bunch of unplanned for exercise, there’s no good reason–for me–to eat any calories except for the sugary ones I need to get back in the zone.

Hence, glucose tablets are a focused, medical treatment rather than a food. I like to save real food for when I can truly enjoy it, not when I’m in the flight or fight stage of low sugar!