Lumps from shots?

Hey all, i was just wanting to know whether anyone has ever experienced lumps from giving insulin shots, as i am constantly told not to inject in the same spot too many times because you will get lumps. I haven't seen these lumps yet(newly diagnosed) so are there any tips and tricks to avoiding them?

few, thats good to know. Where do you wear your pump then?

At first only on my arms because they're nice and fat even when I'm skinny my arms are big. I now move it all around. The only places I won't wear it is on my butt, my belly or my chest. Since I wear my glucose monitor on my arm always I had to branch out with the pump.

This is so interesting, I'm trying to learn as much about pumps as i can, as i am looking to move onto one in about a year. With the pump how do you wear it? Is it heavy and does it drag down on your clothes if you clip it on? Also what if you are wearing a dress where do you put it? Sorry one more question,i know you can take them out while showering and playing sport but is there a time limit to when it has to be put back?

After 17 years I have developed a few lumps. I have some on the back of my arms and some on my lower abs. The ones on my arms actually make me look like I have nice triceps... as long as no one pokes them or the wind isn't blowing :p

I've tried moving my shots elsewhere, but my thighs have no fat on them, so I ALWAYS bleed there, and my sides are too painful.

It I could have spread these shots over a larger area, I doubt I would have them

Thankyou for replying, and I'm sorry about your lumps

Its not too bad. Its not like they hurt or anything. They only look a bit weird lol. The only time they cause me issues is they mess up the bodyfat measurement my school's wrestling team used. They thought I could safely lose 10 kg when I was only 60 to begin with! I quit after that lol.

ahahah oh wow

Broadly speaking, there are two different kinds of pumps: Tubed (well-established technology), and tubeless or "patch", the only model available at this time being the Omnipod by Insulet.

Each has distinct objective pros/cons, while there are many subjective pluses/minuses that are really up to the individual. For example, the "tethering" of a tubed pump is a real irritant to some people, inconsequential to others. The freedom for certain kinds of activities that the Omnipod facilitates is really important to some, meaningless to others that don't engage in those activities.

Your best bet is to visit the pumpers group on TuD and search around for discussions about different brands, comparisons, etc. In particular reading through discussions focused on Omnipod vs. tubed pumps is very helpful.

Adele,

You should always rotate your injection sites. This will prevent any fatty deposits (lumps) from forming and also go a long way toward preventing scar tissue build up.

How to do it:
Make sure you space out your injections at least 2 inches apart (52mm)
Move from one side of your abdomen to the other in a "W" pattern.-_-_- < like this.
This should make it to where by the time you get to the last spot, the first one you did has not been used in a week. (seven days)
Use vitamin E oil on your skin to promote healing. If you don't have any, use a lotion.

Lastly, remember that just because you are new to this and others may not have had any issues, that does not mean that you won't. If you train yourself to use best practices now, you will have far less issues and complications in the future.

Best of luck and welcome to TuD! :)

- Mario

Thankyou for the helpful tips Mario, i will definitely start using this pattern with my shots.

I think you answered your own question: the tips and tricks for which you're looking are to rotate your injection sites as much as possible.

yes i agree, I'm already using the 'w' pattern

Great! :)

I sincerely wish you the best in your journey with Diabetes. Being newly diagnosed can be scary at times, but know that you have a support network here and that you will be working toward building one at home and with your health care professionals as well.

- Mario