MDI suggestions?!

You can post a picture of a gun, that’s fine. Just don’t say the “A” word.

A----za!

1 Like

I am now using tresiba, which gives me pretty flat most of the time… except for a few occasions of atypical (but slow) lows, which I therefore can catch and manage - hormone related, I suspect.

Before tresiba I was using levemir. This is dosed twice a day, and the benefit for me was that I dosed a high dose in the evening to cover nighttime, and a lower dose during the day. This one would be easy to dial up or down each day with respect to expected activities / insulin demand.

1 Like

I like that concept. If you were splitting the dose AND using different amounts, it sounds like you are pretty sophisticated.

I haven’t done that too much with Lantus yet, but that makes sense, since it doesn’t last 24 hours, you can weight it differently. I have to figure out amounts and work on that!

That’s exactly what I found to yield the best results too (with Levemir).

1 Like

Jeez… well let’s get back on track here. As you can see here is an example of a dive timer watch. it’s been 45 minutes since I bolused (or ate, or whatever your system is)

I had to be careful because my countertop is partially reflective and in the right angle you might be able to see I’m wearing a holster… apparently that’s offensive

Grow up.

1 Like

So this overnight trace was done using two doses of NPH? Were you also using another basal insulin during this 24 hour period? At what times did you take your two NPH doses separated by three hours? This six-hour line is excellent.

You got that right!

I agree with you. Helping others here is satisfying.

1 Like

I also had Lantus at night with the NPH. This week I have been trying Lantus at night, which is different for me.

Before using a pump, I had generally been doing Lantus in the morning and NPH at night. The taper-off of Lantus in the early hours of the morning was countered by the NPH, so that strategy was effective, but the downside was that I had a bit of morning spike because I was empty in the morning.

So this week, my strategy was both Lantus and NPH at night. Last night (the one pictured above) I took my first NPH around 9:20pm, and the second NPH at 12:20am.

For me, the NPH shots always will depend a bit on schedule (i.e., I am not camped by the NPH bottle waiting for a specific time!). I am guessing the timing of the shots is not as important as the time split between them of somewhere close to 3 hours. (That last sentence was said more as a question than a statement!)

But I think the key for me was seeing the 50-50 split of NPH at a 3 hour interval works well. But when I start splitting my Lantus, I may have to tinker with it some more.

This is last night’s. Same thing as before with the 2 doses of NPH separated by 3 hours. Except this time I had split the Lantus dose in half and did them 12 hours apart.

I stayed between 55 and 130 the whole night, so I think the Lantus split is workable.

That’s a great overnight line. So, you’re using four basal doses per 24-hour period, two each Lantus and NPH. I can not argue with the results. Will you be able to sustain this 4/day basal + meal doses regimen? As Bernstein says, “what works, works.”

It’s interesting to see how you’ve done this. When I look back to my Tresiba experiment last year, I gave it up since I couldn’t find a 24-dose that suppressed overnight highs without driving my late afternoon BG low. Your experience suggests that I might be able to add one NPH dose to my overnight to make Tresiba work for me.

2 Likes

Yes, 4 bolus shots. It seems easy. I’ve preloaded syringes. Morning Lantus by toothbrush so I don’t forget. Evening Lantus and NPH are at same time, next to my bolus insulin so I don’t forget. The only possible challenge is remembering the second NPH, because the midnight hour makes me forgetful. :smile:

If you have ever had a problem with nighttime BG, it’s worth trying.

Today the double Lantus was sweet for what I was doing, because I cut back on the amount this morning. With a single Lantus shot, I couldn’t do that.

1 Like

I like rapidcalc diabetes manager app for tracking MDI. It is like a bolus wizard and keeps track of insulin on board and basal doses. It is only for IOS unfortunately. I did okay on levemir twice a day. It was easy to adjust for activity level. The duration of action of levemir depends on how much you are taking per how much you weigh.

1 Like

Does Tresiba works great for those night time highs when you take it in the morning? :slight_smile:

Hey Mike.!
When do you take your Tresiba? I was told to take it during the night… but I get those highs during the night…

So far, for me Tresiba in AM works well to prevent highs at night. Have not had those 3 am lows either.

What’s up @marvin.

I’ve taken it at both night (around 10pm) and in the morning (between 6:30 - 8:30am) and have not noticed a huge difference between the two.

Currently I take in the morning just because that’s most convenient for me.