Me and Dex get profiled at Newark Airport

I wound up in the full-body scan line. Wish I could have seen how the transmitter on my waist and receiver on my Spibelt looked. They made me stand there while they stared at the image. Of course, I immediately showed the female TSA person the transmitter and the receiver and explained what it was. Nevertheless, she kept calling it a "pump" and telling me that all "pumps" must be dusted with those explosives tests or whatever it is.

Has anyone else been put through this drill?

Nothing like this happened to me at SFO just a few days after the total body scanners entered in service, Etta.

I told the TSA guy that I had a sensor on me and that the receiver was in my bag in the X-ray machine, and he said "no problem" and had me go to the total body scanner, which took just a couple of seconds. A lady with an handheld radio got the OK from the control room, and I was let thru.

The receiver was treated like a normal device, say a cellphone, as I left it in my bag.

Not exactly sure why people are so obsessed about the total body scan, and prefer someone to touch them all over... yuck!

Ciao, Luca

It seems like I could have gotten thru more easily if I had left it in my bag. I didn't occur to me that I couldn't wear it.

I agree about the body scan, that part didn't bother me at all and I would never choose the "grope" option!

I guess the TSA at EWR is a little skitish after yesterday's shutdown of terminal A for about an hour. I guess you didn't try to correct her that the receiver wasn't a pump. That probably would have caused more questions and agravation.

I DID try to correct her (silly me). I gave her a very good explanation of what was attached to my body and what was in my belt. I even let her see it. She didn't seem to care about what was attached to me, and just swabbed the receiver. She didn't swab the transmitter (and I wouldn't have minded if she did.) Good thing for them that the transmitter was just a transmitter!

I had no idea that there was a shutdown...I thought it was a false alarm. I'd gone through security at least a half hour before that. We were in Terminal B. The alarm was sounding for what seemed like a good 10 minutes, with no explanation.

I travel frequently for business - often several times a week, so I have to deal with this on an ongoing basis. In addition to my Dexcom, I also have a pump. The pump cannot go through the X-ray scanner (that would void the warranty) and it should not go through the low dose X-ray full body scanner, although I have been told that the millimeter scanner does not present a problem. I suppose I could unhook the pump and have a hand inspection, but that is more trouble than it is worth. I usually do put the DexCom receiver through the X-ray scanner with the rest of my hand luggage. I have resigned myself to the “enhanced” pat down, and simply allow myself extra time to deal with it. I must say, that in general, I have found the TSA people to be as respectful and as professional as one could hope for. I had one gentleman in Allentown, PA that was extremely uncomfortable doing it, and confided in me that he was happy to be retiring in a few weeks, since this was not what he had signed up for.

Most of the TSA people know what a pump is, and many also seem to understand what the Dexcom is as well. I have not had any issues with either the Dexcom sensor, or the pump inlet, and in every case when a TSA agent has asked to inspect my belt-line, they have taken great care when I pointed out the pump tubing. In almosr every instance, the TSA agent has asked me to handle my pump, and then swabbed my hands. This does not add more than 30 seconds to the entire process. I would certainly prefer to not have to deal with any of this, but it is a reality, and I think it is better to be prepared, take the extra time and move through it with a bit of humor than to take great offense. In the event that I ever felt anything was untoward or inappropriate, I would deal with it promptly and professionally. Of course, there is always the train, but that would make getting to Europe or Asia much more difficult!

I fly quite often without problems but the Dexcom needs to be sent through the x-ray system or it will trip the alarm. If your pump is visible, they may stop you but if it is in a pocket they usually give you a pass. The last time I flew I had a mini-groping because of the Dex receiver … not the transmitter. I have never had the pump dusted; most of the TSA folks see these all the time and recognize them for what they are. Even when it is visible, they still usually wave me through.

I fly with both a pump and a Dexcom. I usually just unhook and put the pump and Dexcom in my shoe and send it through the carry on luggage scanner. On a whim and with a bunch of extra time, I decided to wear the pump and Dexcom unit and go through the whole body scanner. They had me hold the pump in my one hand and the Dexcom unit in the other. Who ever was viewing the scan must not have been told and I probably looked like I was wired to blow with two hand-held units, one of which is connected with tubing and the other (Dexcom transmitter) stuck on my side with no apparent connection to anythihng else. Needless to say, I ended up getting the full pat down. I took the opportunity to educate the TSA person but swore I’d continue my previous practice of suffing my units in my shoe.

I'm going to use the shoe technique next time.

I would be cautious about putting the pump trough the X-Ray scanner. Msot pump manufacturers do not recommend this (See I do not know if it might void the warranty or not, but as a rule, I will not put mine through the hand luggage X Ray system or take it through a backscatter X-Ray full body scanner. I have been told the microwave full body scanners are not problematic for the pump.

I just flew from LEX thru ATL to MCO and back. After reading all of the user manuals for the Ping Pump, I opted for the pat down because LEX and MCO use the magnetometers (full body scanners were down at MCO on Christmas Eve). The TSA agent doing the pat-downs was very nice at each airport. There was a woman also with a Medtronic in the next cube at MCO. We compared flying notes while getting our shoes back on.

Our consensus was to go straight for the pat-down, educate the TSA agents if they needed it, and go on.

The TSA at LEX and MCO called the Dex a cell phone. I said it is a "diabetic tool" and needs to stay within arms length of my body. No trouble, just hold it in my hand, put it back on my waist band, and swab my hands.

My understanding is the millimeter back scatter full body scanners are fine for both the Ping and the Dex. Just stay away from the magnetometers.

Bottom line, I agree the members above and with "its the world we live in."

I put the dex reciever and my Omnipod PDM thru the scanner. I will not go thru the full body scanner because I cannot remove the pod. Insulet has not made a decision yet on wether or not to go thru the scanner. I opt for the pat down.