Medtronic Paradigm 754 vs 722 model comparison

Dear all,
I live in India and my son (9yr old) has Type 1 and is currently on injections twice a day. Am looking to buy the pump for him and I had a trial run on 722 model and I found it quite convenient and comfortable for my son.

Now am told there is a 'better' model 754 from Medtronics and am recommended to buy it rather than 722 model.

I have tried to look for comparison for these two models but I couldnt . Can anyone please share your experience in using these two models from a comparison perspective and any technical convenience in buying the 754 model.

Please provide your opinions

Thanks.

I live in a backwards country (USA) where we don't have the 754, we have the 723. I had the 722 for several years and switched to the 523 as I realized I don't need that much insulin and like the slightly smaller pump.

The -23 series pumps w/ CGM hint at what the Veo does with the "Predicted Low/ Predicted High" alerts. I have found these very effective. I come home from work, check my BG, it's 85, I'll have a glass of skim milk and get changed. As I start out, the CGM will alert me to a "Predicted High" as it notes the increasing BG. The 523 doesn't do anything at this point but I'm running and don't worry about it.

About 2 miles into a 3 mile run, it will often follow with a "Predicted Low" as my BG "rolls over" and starts going down. I've read that the -54 series pumps (Veo) will turn off the basal at this point. I would prefer that it not actually do this, as I usually run fastest as I get close to home since I figure I might as well get it over with and see a slight spike. For parents, depending on how you run your show, I think many of them will find this reassuring that if their BG runs low, it will cut off the basal to help with the turnaround. I'd need more info to say if your son really would need it but the 754 is Medtronics latest technology and I would have bought it if I could.

I think it also uses their latest sensor, the Enlite, which I've read is more accurate than the Paradigm model available in the US. I don't know if the "free book offer" on the right side of the page is still available on the right side of the page but that might be interesting for you if it's still there. Here's a link to a thread discussing a presentation by Dr. Francine Kaufman, who wrote the book and works for Medtronic: LINKthat has some more discussion you may find interesting. In the Video you can watch her video from last week. Somewhere, there's a presentation, a power point sort of thing that goes long with her speaking but I'm not sure where they put that?

Sorry to highjack this thread but the 530G/VEO may be available by late spring this year as soon as it is approved by the FDA. See the Diabtribe site and do a search. I believe I saw this in the August-October issues. It mentions by June 2013.

One other difference between the x22 and x23 models was finer grain control of basal rates which I found very useful upgrading from 522 to 523. The x23 model can be set in .005 increments, half the size of the prior x22 model setting of .01 increments.

NOTE September 27, 2013 Medtronic gained approval from the US FDA to sell the "veo" system in the US with Enlite sensor. The "veo" system being renamed 530G in US, expected delivery within weeks.

I want to know if I can use new Enlite sensor with my old 523 pump, since same transmitter is used.

You can use the enlite sensor with the 722. Just need to tell it there’s a new sensor after 3 days (re calibration not required).

Unless they balk at selling it to you. In my state, I asked if I can just get the sensor w/o the pump and was told “no” but, at the same time, I am very confident it will work. Then the third party here is my insurer, who may also decline to cover any sort of sneaky maneuvering on my part. All this stuff seems like a huge amount of BS to deal with but hasn’t quite gotten me to say “fuhgeddaboudit” and get a Dexcom. But it still could…

Hi I also live in India. My son (12 years) Type 1 is on 722 Medtronic for last one month.

Hello

I was on the 722 for 4 years now and just received my new 754 (VEO) yesterday. The differences are not that big, here are the ones i know so far:

Insulin on bord is always displayed if you enter a bolus, whheter its with a bolus expert or without it.

The main difference is the automatical shut-down of insulin delivery if your sensor shows you low, although that only matters if you are going to use it with a sensor. The 722 has the option to use a sensor as well but it does not shut down insulin delivery automatically.

There is a bolus reminder- if you eat lunch always at the same time, you can set an alarm that goes off if you havent bolused between 12 and1 o clock for instance.

One thing i dont like is that there are many more security questions they ask you each time you change the cannula, eg if you see a drop of insulin coming out the tube and you have to confirm that everytime, but i guess you get used to it.

Thats what i have noticed so far after 24 hrs on the 754, ill comment again if i remember anything new or if i find out something.

Good luck with your decision

SC

The meter that communicates with the pump is also another one, my pump rep said it was way more accurate than the contour link which the 722 uses.
But you dont have to use the meter, its just an option.

And smaller bolus and basal increasements (0.025u)