Melatonin? sleeping help

After taking and liking it, I then read the box of warnings before taking it a 2nd time and saw that those with diabetes or such issues were told not to take it. I am left wondering why----what does it do--why is it unsafe----are all sleeping meds 'unsafe' for a diabetic or just a risk of using it properly----
I was wondering if anyone knows of some mild sleeping/relaxation medication/aid safest for diabetics. Wondering if anyone knows of something that has worked well for them or know diabetics can take--- and if there is something where can still be alert or wake up if need/want to test?

Check out Valerian Root

Anything that can make you sleepy or lower your blood pressure has the potential to be unsafe for diabeteics. If you feel weak and tired from the medicine thats the desired effect, but if your weak and tired fro the 35 blood sugar you have and your also sleeping from the medicine thats bad.

Its a universal precaution for diabetics because it can reduce your ability to tell if your blood sugar is low.

I have taken it before. Melatonin is a chemical produced naturally by our brain to help us fall alseep, so taking it as a supplement sometimes helps on those restless nights. The problem with diabetics taking it is because it could prevent us from waking up from a dangerous low in the night that we would have otherwise awoken from. This is true with ANY sleep aid. Just take it with caution and make sure your bgs are ok, if not slightly higher than usual, before going to bed.

It’s also been reported to decrease insulin sensitivity, to what extent isn’t clear.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-melatonin.html?PHPSESSID=ce1568b6343835700293df4ce032fb96

I can only add to what the others have said. I would take 1/2 of one from time to time to help me get to sleep, maybe once a month. I knocked it off though. Its too risky in my estimation. Then again, I only sleep 4-5 hours a night anyway. No wonder I drink so much coffee. =^)

Everyone is different, but for me, I would get about a 1/2 hour window where it made me tired, then back to my normal restless self. If you need help, I might fallow what Sarah K said, but add that you should start with the smallest dose and see if that helps. then gradually move up slightly. Try breaking a 1mg tablet in half to start. Mind you, YMMV.

I just started taking Benadryl as sleep aid. I had taken it for allergies and sinus trouble before. I take 50mg and sleep like a baby for 4 to 6 hours.

Quote: “I only sleep 4-5 hours a night. No wonder I drink so much coffee”. Maybe this should be “I drink so much coffee. No wonder I only sleep 4.5 hours a night”. =^)

I don’t take drugs unless I need to - insulin I need to. My advice - try relaxing - e.g. reading a book, meditation - instead.

I’ve taken Melatonin and Benadryl. Melatonin helped me fall asleep, but never made me feel too groggy to wake up or anything like that. Benadryl worked well too, but I was definitely more groggy and had more difficulty waking up with it, although I always woke up if I had a low. I agree with others, just be careful when you start taking either of them, start with the lowest dose, and keep an eye on your blood sugars. Maybe set an alarm in the middle of the night that will for SURE wake you up so you can test? Good luck! Sleep problems are the worst! I hope you can find a solution to yours!

No, no the latter came first! Or wait… LOL.

I used to drink a lot less coffee and sleep a lot more but the company Ive been with for the last few years has a 10-7pm work day. Im up at 7 with the kids and personal time is from 9-2 (wow thats a lot!). So coffee is the crutch and its yummy too! =^)