Minimed CGM or Dexcom 7 Plus...Still undecided!

I have not…I I have breached the 5 ft rule --prob 7 or 8 with no issues…only issue I have (and MM CGM was much worse) is if I get the sensor right up agaiinst the waterbed it can loose the signal…Dex warns you about the Waterbed possibly interfearing–MM did not-

I had not heard of an implantable glucose monitor (one that is on the market, that is). Or is it available? Why would a person not prefer this over the external cgm that requires frequent replacement?

The article mentions current glucose monitors which have an implantable sensor (the part that goes under your skin) for “several days.” Current models go in with a needle, and then you remove the needle leaving the sensor behind. Fully implantable, for “years at a time” is in R&D phase not available, and last I heard they were at just under 2 years in a trial with pigs.

I use the Omnipod pump. The CGM that I use is the Dexcom 7plus. I carry both devices around. The PDM in one pocket, my cell in the other and the Dexcom receiver in a phone case on my belt. I am counting the days until they integrate the Omnipod and Dexcom together.

I use the MM system (pump and CGM) and it works very well for me. Readings are very close and nearly always tell me what I need to know…going high, going low, staying level. I really don’t notice the sensor once it is on and the needle, though it looks big, does not really hurt. I use the S&N film to hold it on which normally lasts ~3-4 days at which point I replace the film.

Most of my sensors last 6-8 days though some go for as long as 10. I have had a few ‘bad’ sensor that MM has replaced for me via next day air. I am looking forward to the new MM sensor design which is said to have a much smaller needle, go in at a 90 deg. angle, and be rated for 6 days.

Finally, if you go with the MM pump make sure your insurance will cover a different brand of CGM. Some will, some won’t.

This sums it up for me. I, too, use the MM 522 but have been using the Dex for 5 months now.

I had my Dexcom 7 training today - all went well for a few hours. THEN, I started getting “???” on the screen and they lasted for a few hours. My rep told me to contact Dexcom and they would send me a replacement sensor because this one was bad (which they did). Sooo, now I’m in the 2-hour window waiting to calibrate the second sensor and I’m hoping it works out. The first insertion gave a little pain and blood, the second was virtually painfree.

I placed the sensor on the right side of my stomach, however I’m curious, what other site locations do you (anyone) use for the sensor? I’ve heard of some people using their thighs but I’m a little worried about that because I was told it needs to be a “fatty” area.

Thanks!

My sister is having the same issue with my niece. As a young teen, she needs the larger reservoir of the Minimed pump, yet cannot tolerate the introducer needle on the MM cgms so uses the Dexcom Plus. Starting to get annoyed, though, at always carrying arround the extra Receiver for Dexcom. MM is supposed to come out with a “comfort sensor” some time next year; now have read they are releasing yet another MM cgms sensor first, still not having changed the large introducer needle. Animas seems to be taking their time about integrating. So the jury is still out here. If MM comes out with a comfortable sensor before her warranty wears out, I’m sure she will stick with MM pump. If MM’s “comfort” sensor is still not comfortable, she will have to decide if she wants to keep MM pump and carry extra Dex receiver or switch to Animas. We have used Animas this summer because it is more waterproof and I can say we are changing out the insulin in her pump every 2.5 days, before we need to change her site. So using more reservoirs with Animas. It’s a tradeoff. If no more than 200 units every three days will suffice, I would go over to Animas.

Ugg that would kill me. I hate having all this stuff on me / in my pockets. Thats one plus for the MM CGMS, the sensor goes on, then its only the pump really sticking out or that you have to carry.

I just ordered a replacement sensor from MM. Im on a 722 from them as well. Let me toss in my 2c and do it pros and cons style.

Pros:

• really only 1 device - the pump. You dont notice the sensor once its on.
  • Nicely integrated with pump - trends and all that are right there which will lead to…
  • quicker integration for a AP. MM has been working on this integration game for years now.

Cons:

• I hate MM’s small screen pumps. At the very least you could give me an Iphone / Android app.
  • Lame sets. MM was talking about revamping their sets more than a year ago. What did we get? No CGMS - just Mimo

For me, if Dexcom and Omnipod can get their act together I wouldnt mind trying them out. It would just need to be integrated as Im not about to carry 3-5 items (really I do resist my wifes offers for a man purse). But honestly, MM is pretty darn good and if they can just get around to ironing out the wrinkles things will work swell.

I am just deciding to get a pump and CGM. I have been conflicted about which I should get first but the nurse educator and doctor suggest the pump first and then the CGM. I did trials with both the Animas Ping and the Minimed and actually liked the size and the clip attachement better on the Minimed than the Ping. What is your experience with the two different pumps? How is it to carry around the pump, the PDA and the CGM sensor? Also, I just spoke with the Animas rep who said that now it looks like the integration with Animas/Dexcom won’t happen until the third quarter of 2011.

I have been having a hard time making my decision and I have to do it this week because of the insurance issues. Thanks for any advice you can offer, Dancer

I did the CGMS first and then the pump. I originally had a Navigator but switched to Dexcom after that died and Abbott couldn’t replace it. When I had training on the Navigator, my trainer also did pump training. He thought it made more sense to get the CGMS first like I was doing but most people do it pump first. If you have the CGMS first, it will help getting your pump settings tweaked in the beginning. I am glad that I had the Dexcom already when I started pumping. I went with the Ping because I wanted something waterproof.

I have had the Revel with CGM for about 2 weeks. I love it! I do wish the CGM was more accurate, but I don’t really mind testing - it isn’t like I wasn’t testing before but now I know WHEN to test. I get a very accurate idea of the trends of my BS and really like that. I also love the warnings.

I got the CGM for the same reason you are. I have overnight lows and highs that have baffled people for years. Two weeks with the CGM and they are MUCH more predictable and treatable. If I do get low or start to look low I know, now! I like that you can adjust what is “acceptable” BS for you, too. If you prefer to run a little higher (like 110-140) overnight you can set that. I am set for that overnight and closer between 70 and 100 during day.

The other thing I like is that alarms. I can set it for vibrate, but if I don’t wake and the CGM is really “upset” it will alarm and alarm and eventually start beeping.

I don’t know much about the Dex, but I like what I have. I find that the waterproof flesh colored adhesive tape (I got it at WalMart) works really well to tape it down. I don’t mind the tape bc I don’t think I’d be comfortable without it taped down no matter the design bc I am a clutz :wink: I like using a flesh-tone tape, too, bc they I can hide it a little more.

The CGM is a little bulky, but I haven’t had pain inserting it at all - it really surprised me, actually. I had some bleeding on the first insertion, but now that I am more experienced I am fine.

I am on the 5th day of a sensor right now and no problems. I am not sure how long it will last. We’ll see, though!

Bad information is bad medicine. The article Winsor sited was using an earlier version of the dexcom and and MM. Both systems have been through many changes and both current products are about the same in accuracy. The MM Revel is pretty accurate and is prone to the same issues as the Dex, calibration, sensor insertion, dehydration and pressure inaccuracies, movement of sensor under the skin (Site placement issues) and user errors. There are some drugs that make the Dex inaccurate, and the MM transmitter is not as solid to where as the Dex.

I hope you did not base your decision on the negative MM performance comments because they all were noting the old version of the CGM receiver/pump. The negative on the MM is wear time, six to seven days is the norm. The negative on the Dex is calibration and the extra hardware. Both are about as accurate as you can be with the current CGM sensor technology. I have used the MM and the Navigator side by side with current and in development hardware and software. When Dex partners with J&J, Anamus(sp), it will be interesting to seen how they perform together. BTW the dex was not selected to be used in most of the current Artificial Pancreas testing because of Dexcom company issues…something no one has mentioned. Both have their +'s & -'s, so choose the one you will use, everyday, all day, and you cannot go wrong.

NOTE: If you do not know about current product and cannot site current experience with that product don’t bash it, just make your point and include which version of the product with which you had the experience.

Winsor, your example and the article are no current and both products have changed since the study. Invalid and inaccurate information is not fair to anyone who is considering a life changing device like a CGM.

I"m a minimed girl myself. I’m on the dexcom7 plus now for a trial. Not Impressed. They said the first 24 hours the accuracy may be “off”- 80-100 points? Really? MM after the 2 hour warm up (none if you insert before it’s dead) is still accurate. I got woken up at 2 am because it claimed I was below 55 and you can’t turn it off that particular low alarm!! WTH? And I’m chasing this receiver around my house. I’m petite and the football shaped thing is obvious under clothes in the belt clip- not so with the integrated system.

I rely on this thing to detect lows and I have to wait thru the first day for it to do its job? That’s cheating me out of my 7 days…

It’s also a much bigger lump under my swimsuit. And with the tape and everything it’s harder to pinch up skin while inserting so this thing HURT!

Of course, YDMV :slight_smile:

There is a reason why there arent Iphone or Android apps released to the general public yet…
Part of it is the FDA requires apps to be certified through them, and the underlying device as well…

Thats also why a lot of software only is techincally supposed to work in Windows XP…

Fortunately Carelink is web based. bypassing some of the problem.

My friend’s son (age 15) uses a minimed pump and the dexcom 7. He is a soccer player and is without the pump when he is playing. He has no hypo awareness…never has since diagnosis…The dexcom 7 is perfect for him. He was not hearing the alerts at night though, so he places the receiver of the DexCom in a metal bowl by his bed and that noise wakes him up. They tried the minimed CGM, but did not find it accurate. He uses the DexCom 7 and it is great when he is playing soccer or other sports because it alerts him when he is dropping. I do know that the dexcom is not accurate if you take products with acetaminophen. Did not read all of the other posts, but wanted to let you know that my friend’s son seems to do well using both systems.

Ooooh, I love the metal bowl idea!!! I don’t think I can make that work while I’m hooked up with the MM but it’s got the wheels turning, thanks for sharing!

Until you have or know someone who is using the new Revel pump and CGM software, your statements really have no credibility as far as the current MM system goes.

I have no issues with the Dexcom product. It is great to have a sensor that you can leave in for 10 or more days and have it be accurate.

But I can name several advantages of the MM that make it right for me. I could not name so many pluses with the previous, Paradigm, version of the MM CGM/Pump system.

Tell about your experiences with the Dexcom, but do not downgrade a MM product if you have no knowledge, experience, or resources to back it up.

I must say that I am looking forward to the Dexcom/Anamas pump combo when it comes out early next year. Finally, a pump working with the Dxcom could make it a great product.